1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bowning XT opinions

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 7771, Feb 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 7771

7771 Active Member

Just want to know what XT shooters think thanks.

2. 100after9

100after9 TS Member

opinions about what?

3. 7771

7771 Active Member

ttt

4. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I've owned two and neither one still resides in my safe. It's amazing what a person can learn.

They have lousy triggers from the factory (a good 'smith can clean them up and make them tolerable. If you think the triggers in an XT are good, you haven't shot a gun with a good trigger), You can't get one un-ported, They swing like a club, other barrels aren't readily available on down the road, and on a humid day you can see a Browning rust.

The good, they do make them kinda pretty. There is a saying in the horse industry, "pretty is as pretty does".

I'll stick to my Beretta's. Much better build quality for almost the same money. Non-ported barrels are standard. Barrels are readily available to make it a combo on down the road. No obnoxious firing pin issues on the lower barrel. Nearly every wear item on the receiver is replaceable if you ever shoot it enough to wear it out. Several different grades available to suit you buying power.

Is the XT a bad gun, no. Is it as good as the others in it's price range, no.
    You'll have to see which one you get along with better as you'll be the one shooting it and paying for it.

The one thing they both have in common, is terrible factory adjustable comb hardware. Either way, get one without an adjustable comb and have one put in by a reputable stock guy with standard post hardware.

ss

5. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

I think that the XT is probably the best value for an O/U in its price range. Numerous shooters use them for more than just shooting trap.

Easystreet

6. SD Trap Family

SD Trap Family TS Supporters TS Supporters

The XT has been incredible for us. 6 years ago at our first Grand I was purchasing trap guns for my two sons and the coach from their SCTP team pulled us out of the Kreighoff store and gave us some of the BEST advice to date. He said buy the Browning XT Combo and you will not regret doing so.

Foster has shot his since(stock) and has had NO problems. I mean NOTHING. I would imagine he has over 100K rounds through it, or more, and finally replaced the pad last year. He has not even had to get his spare out as of yet. Now that is quality.

Matt has had the same thing. He has changed over to a Browning Plus and has shot this for 3 years and has only had to replace the springs last year. This gun has a ton of rounds through it as well.

We have been so pleased with the Browning products.

7771, if you have any specific questions just let us know and we will try to answer any of your questions on our experience with Brownings.

Bud, Char, Foster and Matt Bartholow

7. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

I have 2 and agree with above postings that the Browning XT is about the best value for a trap gun around (good features & reasonable price). There are problems posted on here about the factory adjustable comb...just have an aftermarket installed if you need an adjustable comb. Try one, you'll like it. Regards, Ed

8. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Get the trigger done and your good to go.

9. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

Browning should price their XT at $6995. Then the gun will get the respect it deserves.

bluedsteel

10. warren

warren Member

This thread has the first critisisum I've ever seen on an XT. I've had mine for about 5 years no telling how many thousand rounds thru it never once failed or gave trouble. Never had the trigger worked on I did have my own adjustable comb put on. I've not seen mentioned about it much but it is the softist shooting double barrel shotgun I've ever owned too. I'm very happy with it.

warren

11. al391claybuster

al391claybuster TS Member

I have a all factory XT, 30" barrels, Adjust comb, etc. It shoots nice, but I have trouble since it don't fit me well. I'd sell it in a heart beat, but the wife bought it for me as a gift. She gives me that look each time talk about selling it. It's a safe queen to avoid the fight for sure...lol Thanks David

12. RENOSTEVE

RENOSTEVE Member

I replaced my 3200 with an XT 4 years ago and the only problem I've had was with the factory adjustable comb hardware. I knew about the possibility of factory comb problems prior to my XT purchase due to posts from other shooters on this forum. I went with the factory comb due to my preference for the fit of a straight stock (I couldn't find a straight stock without the factory adj. comb) as opposed to a monte carlo stock. Greg Hissem did the retro on my comb. He has retired but there are several highly rated 'stock docs' which post here that can do the job right. Aside from the above issue the gun has been flawless, but I do miss my 3200 trigger. Good luck, Steve.

13. missemucho

missemucho Member

I bought my XT used in 2006 and have shot it a lot. Absolutely no problems with it of any kind. I admit I won't shoot Krieghoff's any more because the trigger on them spoils me. I haven't bothered to have the Browning's trigger worked on yet, but if/when the gun needs some other work I'll consider it. Stay away from the factory adjustable comb; other than that I agree with the posters that say it's the most gun for the money on the market.

XT's have about taken over our club; seems like every new shooter ends up buying one.
    John Segress
    ATA 0510191

14. 7771

7771 Active Member

Thanks everyone tom.

15. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

There are 3 thrings that are a problem with the XT.
    The trigger,the comb hardware is junk and the unsingle rib will come loose and Browning customer service sucks to say the least. All of these things can be fixed with ease and a little cost. I think the XT is a good buy for the money but for that kind of money I would buy a Beretta from Joel Etchens and have a better gun that does not have the problems to fix mentioned above.

16. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

The only problem with the XT is that I never shoot it enough...I shoot my plus guns and the XT is the backup...but Brownings refuse to break..who knew?

17. 7771

7771 Active Member

18. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I bought the XT Combo and like cp I bought the monte carlo stock and had Greg Hissm cut the comb and install his hardware. Also had him install his adjustable butt pad. As far as the rib coming loose on the un-single I put BLUE locktite on the screws and haven't had a problem since.

As far as if they are worth the money I'd have to say yes they are.

19. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Adjustable comb hardware is junk-no doubt. There's only one worse than Browning-the Beretta. As far as a pull trigger the Beretta has the edge but a Browning release is inexpensive and works great. As far as longevity, the Citori action has been around forever and will likely last longer without a rebuild. Beretta's cost considerably more so bang for your buck goes to Browning!!

20. dimapower

dimapower Member

Decent gun for the money, but I agree with others that say for a little more money the Beretta 682 is much better overall. After shooting and owning several different brands now, I don't have any plans to go back to an XT. Somewhat subjectively, just feels less refined.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

matt bartholow browning xt