1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bowling vs Trapshooting

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by drunk_again, Apr 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drunk_again

drunk_again TS Member

how many games bowled in 1955 compared to how many games bowled in 2005???

2. mike T

mike T Member

As my brother-in-law would say " It's all about the balls"
    mike t

3. cableguy

cableguy TS Member

I bowled for years. At the end I carried an average in the high 170s. Not too bad for a once a week league bowler. Bowling ball technology has changed drasticly over the past 30 years. Different balls, lanes, oiling patterns. Different weight patterns in the balls. Different surfaces too. ONCE I GOT THE TECHNIQUE DOWN, bowling ball technology made a small difference in my scores.
    I'm a newbie to sport shooting but I visit TS.com nightly. I keep reading that 'it's not the arrow but, the indian'. The same is true for bowling too. I have absolutely no problem beliving technology has produced better scores but, it took serious practice to get there.
    Kind of like a PFS stock, Briley titanium chokes, raised ribs,sighting technology, ect. make for a better shooter. Most of you guys spent a looooong time with an entry level shotgun before you started making changes or, upgrading guns in search of better scores.
    In my last 5 years of bowling I probably spent a thousand bucks on balls and drilling. For about a 10 pin increase. The greatest increase came when I finially got the fit right and then just went out and boweled, a lot!
    I'll bet that this sounds a little familiar doesn't it.

Now, let's turn the question around. Has technology made a difference in the last 30 years to trap shooting scores?

4. XTFreak

XTFreak TS Member

As an avid bowler (I win more money bowling than I do trapshooting) who bowls a lot of tournaments, I can tell you that the bowling balls of today have increased scores quite a bit.

The newest equipment has a coverstock made out of "reactive" urethane and the cores are geometric shapes that influnce ball motion. A "reactive" ball has additives in the coverstock that make the ball slide in oil and hook sharply on the dry area. The end result is a ball that has a greater entry angle into the pocket with more stored up energy.

In addition, the dynamic cores make the ball track "flare", which means every revolution of the ball is on a fresh surface of the coverstock, which increases traction.. hence the sharper breakpoint. Combine all this with the proper drilling that is matched to your style and lane condition, and you have a pretty hi-tech piece of equipment. In the end, the equipment can make up for your flaws, you will stike more and shots that would not carry 20 years ago will carry now.

Now, mediocre bowlers can have inflated averages (and egos !!) but when the lane conditions warrant true ability, there still is no substitute for accuracy and versatility. It is not uncommom to see someone deemed a "house bowler" average 220+ in their home house and come to a tournament and not be able to break 170.

Go to www.brunswickbowling.com and view some of the ball videos. You will be surprised at the changes to equipment since the 1980s.

5. inkspot

inkspot TS Member

Given the fact that when you are bowling - in the summer it is air conditioned and you never get rained on, in the winter it is heated and you don't get snowed on and the wind is not blowing and the cost of balls and per game are not increasing as fast as trap shells (lead) or per round of trap - heck, bowling sounds like a rational alternative.

wjw

6. XTFreak

XTFreak TS Member

WJW ..

Just so you know .. a new hi performance bowling ball will cost you @$200 and open play is @$3 a game

7. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

You can have a cocktail while you're bowling. Actually, I think its required.

8. grammie

grammie TS Member

WPT got me back into bowling after a 15 year lay-off!!! After getting back into the swing of things,,I finished the last summer league with a 202 average,,I still have two weekes left in one winter league,,and am averaging 191 in that one...

Whats the point???? I bowl with an old black hammer,,meant for wood lanes,,the ball is over 17 years old...

Less than two months ago,,my wife bowled a 3 game series of 814!!! Her games were 298-276-238,,,Her score for a female will be placed on permanent display in the near future at the International Bowling Museum and Hall of Fame in St.Louis,Mo...She shot those scores with an old red ultimate weapon urethane ball...She earmed two rings for that series,,one for the 298 game,,,and one for the 800 series....

What is the differance between bowling and trapshooting besides the obvious??? In bowling,,,,todays modern bowling balls can make a 170 avg bowler into a 200 average bowler,,,,A perazzi cannot do that!!!!!

Todays balls have massive weight blocks,,and reactive skin that requires NO quirky hand gyrations in order to put some turn on it!!! They hit hard!!!

AKA Grammie.........

9. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

The good part about Bowling is you don't have to reload the ball or use a new one every time you roll it down a lane. What a deal.

10. motrap

motrap Member

I'm not sure what Tal/IL's point was. I guess just info, and I found it interesting.

BUT, If there was an attempt at a comparison, the significant point would be that .........

although technology has made the scores of players, in both games, to increase, without necessarily an increase in abilities, there is a really BIG difference............

Bowling did not add to the [sic. "difference" / "problem"] .......... by shortening the alley, increasing the size of the ball, making the pins larger, or altering the stability of the pins. Trapshooting, however, DID the equivalent of all of these things ..........

Knocking down a lot of pins has not been made easier (scientifically/engineering wise) the equipment has just greatly improved ............ Breaking clay targets really is easier .........

Just thought I should point that out ........ for the good of trapshooting ...

11. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

My Aunt was one of the first 10 tournament bowlers to bowl a 300 game years ago. She is no longer with us today, but I can still hear her telling me that bowling is not the same anymore(she still watched pro bowling) because of the changes made to the bowling pins. She said they lighened the pin weight at least 3 times since she was a pro bowler in her youth. She used to tell me the exact weights of the pins then and now but I don't remember the #'s but I think it is like 2 to 3 times lighter now than back then. I think that plus the difference in bowling balls is the reason for so many more perfect games. Its not just the bowling balls but the pins as well. Jeff

12. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Honyocks........(Hunyocks) God I haven't heard that word since I was a kid. My Monm used to use it when we were cuttin up.

I think it basically is a somewhat derogatory term referring to East central Europe natives. Perhaps the root of "Hungarian", Sort of like Polack, and Bohunk (Bohemian).

Anyway, my memory bank slipped a lot of cogs to get back to that one.

HM

13. Steve NJ

Steve NJ Member

Like the wild and crazy guys on SNL years ago?

14. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Last year over 70,000,000 people went bowling and they are building bowling centers all over the place to accomidate more and more bowlers and leagues everyday ... This past season I was bowling on 6 leagues which means 6 nights a week for the season which consists of 32 weeks ... The Nationals for Bowling are going on right now in Reno, Nevada and they go for several months because of all of the entries, which they don't even have any idea of how many it will turn out to be when or until its over ... This year I am going to cut back on the leagues and bowl in more tournaments ... I also intend on shooting more targets than I have for the past few years but summers coming and it gets mighty hot in the desert in the summertime ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

15. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Wow, WPT......They are building more bowling alleys where you live?

Where I live, they tore down 3 bowling establishments because no one was bowling. We used to have 6 in the Cedar Valley, and now we have only 3 still in use.

Go figure..........

Hauxfan!

16. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Haux,

If I was you I'd be packing up and moving damn quick ... Last year over 70,000,000 people went bowling and if the pace keeps up this year that number will increase by appox. 5,000,000 ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

17. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Naw, I don't plan on moving. I like it here.

I'm one of those guys from up North who would miss the snow in the winter time.

I used to bowl years ago, but gave it up, and never really missed it.

Hauxfan!

18. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

Not so well here I am afraid Bill. We had five centers and now there are only 2 left. And they have to do weird stuff to get people. Like glow in the dark bowling.

Also one place offers a season Sat & Sun pass (three games each day) for $125.00 now that is bad.

Rock

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.