1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bowhunters question....

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by setool, Jul 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. setool

setool Member

Apr 1, 2010
    Help if you can, PLEASE,
    My #1 love is bowhunting deer... I am very lucky to have a spot that has many animals. Actually, too many does, as the property butts up to a "NO HUNTING", state owned reserve with a river running 100 yards away, off property.

I have always been lucky enough to normally see many animals, almost all does. I do harvest some each year, but my problem is seeing bucks. If it,s not "Rut" time, 99% does.

I have food plots and agriculture food sources, but the buck to doe ratio ia WAY out of whack. Also, I am from Greene County, Ohio. The world record bow kill of Mike Beatty is only 1/2 mile from me. I have "seen" a few quality bucks over the years, but I'm sure they are just sex crazed travelers.

My question is: What is needed to bring in bucks more often than the 2 to 3 weeks of rut ???

I'm stumped.

Thanks a million,

Mark Schneider
  2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2009
    IL(The gun friendly Southern Part)
    Heavy cover for secure bedding areas are what mature bucks seek out. That needs to be thickets such as briars and honeysuckle with NO human interferrence. This won't happen over night but will eventually draw them. Whatever you do, do not get into the thickets and attempt to hunt. Don't even go in during the off season. They will smell the human scent no matter how much precautions you take to cover your scent. They catch your scent and they will likely move on. You can set up just off their trails far down the way between the bedding area and their food source. As i said before, it won't happen over night. It will take years of work. Biggest mistake people make is clearing out too much of the brush around their hunting areas. Remember those big bucks didn't get old by being dumb. Having does is a good thing. remember thats what they are after come mating(rut) season. Eventually you will be able to not just draw them in during the rut but actually hold them.

Once again, make sure you leave that bedding area alone. That is their safe haven. Catch them between their food source and bedding areas. They typically will be returning to their beds in the morning and heading out to feed in the evenings. Also mature bucks are notorious for not using the same path too often. They will often walk a line well off the main path and watch the younger bucks and does to see if they encounter danger.

Hope i helped some.
  3. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

Jul 13, 2007
    Kabul, Afghanistan
    Make sure you are down wind of the paths the deer use. Also - how often do you hunt the same stand (and I mean within a hundred yards)? More than once a week - or EVER when the wind is wrong? Oops - there go your non-rut bucks.

Two things - if you can use bait - use bait. Does will hit it, and so will bucks - mainly after the rut when they need to bulk back up. Food plots are great - but also provide too many places for bucks to feed - you need concentrated funnels.

Second - If you have to hunt a stand a lot - make sure bucks pattern you. This is opposite conventional wisdom - but hear me out. Hit your stand EVERY MORNING you can for a month until 0800 or so. Then, when the wind and conditions are right (pre rut - post rut), hunt it hard all morning. If you don't see the buck you want I'll be surprised. I've done this to three trophy bucks - gotten shots at all three the first day I hunted hard, and each time about 0900 (I'm 2 for 3). They can tell when you enter and leave based on your scent - and learn to come after you have gone.

BTW - any stand that produces good bucks three weeks out of the season is A GREAT STAND. I'd love a stand like that.

4. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2006
    beautiful northern michigan
    I used to hunt migratory whitetails in the late fall in far northwest michigan. This was quite late in the season and the deer had apparently "pattterned" our hunting habits by then. You rarely saw a lot of deer until 10 a.m. or so and then saw a lot of them until about 2 or 3 p.m. Smart critters..Bill Wheeler
  5. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2010
    You would be surprised at how many bucks are in your area. They just do not move during daylight until the rut is in full swing. Put out a trail cam. Look at the time the pictures are taken. The majority of the big boys will be taken between two hours after dark and two hours before light. That has been my experience anyways.
  6. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Stranger in a Strange Land
    Also do you have exclusive trespass rights? Could someone else be screwing around in the woods? Any squirrel hunters, nature walkers, etc, running around the woods? Pole cams will answer a lot of your questions.
  7. JTEA

JTEA Member

Jul 13, 2007
    So. East corner PA
    Set up more than one stand, if you can. Stay in your stand until the last possible legal minute, overcast days bring them out earlier. In our area they sometimes get moved during the day due to horse riders, so they will move again at sunset. We watch their afternoon feeding patterns from distance and set stands their. The wind and weather is a factor in their feeding and they go in 3 or 4 day cycles, this we move around. Some hunt here in the mornings, but it seems the big ones are taken in the afternoon following does, or feeding with them. We are not allowed to bait (PA).

During Archery Season we rarely see moving deer between 8 am and 3 pm, unless they have been disturbed.

One neighbor has a dummy in his backyard stand when he's not in it. (Just a different dummy, right?) It may keep others out, is intended to get the deer used to him, and scared his girlfriend when she first looked out and saw it. It's a good crossing location, but he usually gets his buck elsewhere.

Best, Joel
  8. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Apr 13, 2006
    The three things trophy bucks require is security,security,security. All else makes little difference. Food and water can be had all night long. Security must be had all day long. Bedding areas that are never entered unless a buck is shot is the best answer. And it needs to be off limits year around. Sanctuaries need to be well placed so that the travel areas in and out of them are accessable by the hunter undetechted. Takes some time and some very well thought out planning but a chainsaw in Febuary and March will do the trick.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.