1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bowen vs. Seitz

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by gjmen, Jul 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gjmen

gjmen Member

What is the difference between these two guns? Is there much difference at all? How come I hear the term Bowen/Seitz at times? Thanks, gjmen

2. Ithaca$$$Grade

Ithaca$$$Grade Active Member

gjmen, there isn't much physical difference between the original Tom Seitz gun and a Bowen gun. The main similarity is the way the barrel is hinged to the receiver. There is a through pin that the barrel rotates on not the common hook setup that you see on most guns. The Bowen gun goes through multiple heat treating processes, the concentricity of each barrel is checked and only the ones that are within +/- .004 are used, the barrels are regulated to shoot an even, high density pattern, all of the internal parts are polished and titanium coated and the stock is fitted to the buyer. Hope this helps.

Jim W

3. shoot'er

shoot'er TS Member

And along with the Bowen is Mr. Bruce Bowen! One of the greatest guys to work with and he won't lead you wrong. The workmanship that goes into one is unbelieveable. I just ordered one a few weeks ago and we went up to Mr. Bowen's factory and he went through everything with us. The measurements and everthing was made to the finest degree, every little detail was not to small. The care and quality workmanship that goes into this gun is AWSOME! I don't know that much about Seitz but i'm sure its also made w/ great quality too.

J.D.

4. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

If you are thinking of getting a gun at this level, you may want to consider a Mach One or Infinity by Dennis Devault out of Canton, Ohio. His guns are of the same quality and are over built. His wood is superior and his gun fit is outstanding. Fred

5. KelleyPLK

KelleyPLK TS Member

Mach One Guns , I have had one used and refit to my spec ;s ! The comparison between Mach One and Sietz and Or Bowen , Is difference between savage single shot field
    gun and a custom made english field gun . Mach isnt even in same league and certainly havent saw many events won shooting them balance is bad , clunky feeling .I'll spend 15000 and get sietz or bowen before spending 6700 on mach one and getting 2500 trade value . Sietz and Bowen hold value .

6. Robb

Robb Member

Kelly, You need to check out the Infinity. I feel exactly the opposite of you. I would not trade my MachOne for two Seitz guns or anything else except for the maybe the Infinity. I mean with Dennis you save 5 grand and get the best service in the country.

7. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Kelly: I think that your information and judgement is a little off. New Infinity is in the $12,000 range and the older Mach One sells for $7,000+. The wood is knock down gorgous. I ran a 198/200 in CA. State A Singles with my Mach One, won with a 99/100 in Western Zone A competition in So. CA., won or tied in the last 4 league shoots at Oak Tree, shot two 100 straights and two 99's in the last two months ATA competition. Simply would not trade or sell my Mach One #83. Besides I love dealing with Dennis and Cindy. Fred

8. lc

lc TS Member

Is Dennis going to be at the Grand?

9. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Kelly,

I will give you $3,000 for your Mach One. That's a 20% increase over your other offer. My number is 214-213-5423. Thanks.

10. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

My guess is there are a lot of people that have differing opinions of working with Mr. Bowen

Putting the problems of dealing with Mr. Bowen aside- how many winners in any major shoot- shoot a bowen?

buy a 90 T- better gun and save 10 grand

regards from Iowa

Gene

11. Dennis DeVault

Dennis DeVault Well-Known Member

Ic,

Yea I will be at the Grand hopefully on Friday of the first week. I will be with Bob Schultz at his building. I will be there to help Bob and answer questions about the new gun. My cell phone number 330-936-5102. Hope that it will have reception out there. Thank you,

Dennis DeVault

12. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

gjmen- you almost got an answer from Ithaca$$$Grade, but perhaps not quite in a digestable format. When he tells you that "There is a through pin that the barrel rotates on not the common hook setup that you see on most guns." it means that the Bowen does not break down the way you are used to. Need a hammer and driver. you cannot just take off the forearm and take off the barrel.

13. Ithaca$$$Grade

Ithaca$$$Grade Active Member

HGWT, what I should have said was that the through pin setup on the original Tom Seitz gun and the Bowen gun is superior to any gun that is made with the hook setup. How's that?

If you ever run into me at a shoot you are invited to take the forearm off, pull the through pin retainer out of the receiver and PUSH the through pin far enough out of the receiver to PULL it the rest of way out with your fingers. Where did you come up with a hammer and driver?

I'll be at the Grand from Tuesday of Grand week on. Look me up and I'll walk you through it. I'll be around bank 21.

Jim W

14. Don Rackley

Don Rackley Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

gjmen,

A Bowen gun is the closest copy of the original Tom Seitz gun. It does have a thru pin that you remove to take the barrel off. You do NOT need a hammer and driver. The machining is so close the pin slips in with finger pressure. The triggers are superb.

The triggerguard does move backward to allow the barrel to hinge open.

Both Silver Seitz and Bowen guns have a sideplate that you remove to access the trigger mechanism.

Full disclosure, I shoot a Perazzi and am no relation to Bowen or Phillips (or Perazzi).

Don Rackley

15. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

I'm glad you guys are paying attention - Thank you for getting the truth out there and not leaving my post lay there where I would have to correct myself. The story about the hammer I gave happens to be one that I just heard and I just had to find out if believers or non believers would respond. sorry, I should have just given the story and asked if anyone else had ever heard that. I have had the pleasure of shooting a Bowen gun and have had the tour of how it is put together, and have had a canversation with Mr Bowen on his pattern tuned barrels. I see how it looks, but honest, I was not trying to knock this shotgun. I believe it is a fine shotgun and the barrel work is really special.

16. BBowen

BBowen Member

hey mr. eugene nosco/pukey stagg aka. g777777777....

how about the north american clay target championship at the grand american last year? dusty klein's 200x200 in the program and 400x400 in the shootoff seems like a major win with a bowen shotgun to me. how about his 99/100 for runnerup in the parliment coach handicap? how about his 99.24 singles and 95.21 handicap year end averages for new junior records?

i guess that might have slipped by you since you don't belong to the ata and according to the average book, shoot no registered targets. do you take TRAP AND FIELD? if so, you might have noticed dusty's picture on the cover of the oct. 2006 issue.

bruce bowen
    sturgis, south dakota www.gguns.net

17. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Mr. Bowen/all your other names

I asked how many top shooters shoot bowens

not if one talented kid can have a pretty good day

and although it might seem impressive that a barrel is consistent as far as bore diameter-- it truly doesnt matter at all- as any of the guys that grind on chokes will tell you- what matters is the end result--

I am not knocking your gun-- just trying to indentify the specifics of why you claim yours is so much better than others

specifically- how is yours better than a 90T that can be purchased for 2500 or so? or a BT 99 for 1200 or a KX5 for 4000

a lot of good shooters shoot those brownings, remingtons and krieghoffs

all the above which are 10,000 less than yours

regards

Gene

18. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Mr. Bowen only produces a scant few guns. I shoot all over the country and have see some pretty great shooters shooting them well. When you consider the rarity of this fabulous custom built gun, for know, they come with a pretty good pedigree.

I would love to have one of his adjustable rib versions.

19. Charles L. Schmidt

Charles L. Schmidt TS Member

Both are fine (if not the finest) Trap guns.

Question, can you get a Bowen with an adjustable rib? cls

20. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

Not to speak for Mr. Bowen but i don't think that he ever uses any other names. And the difference between his gun and a 90 t is the same as the difference between your beloved Krieghoffs and a Stoger condor.

And there was some guy that shot a Mach 1 very well, I think he was from Kansas, real nice feller. I think he is capt. of the All American team again this year.

Gene, not everyone is out to get you. But remember, if they REALLY are after you, it is not paranoia.

John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
bowen trap guns vs
bowentrap gun as good as a seitz
dusty klein trapshooter
seitz vs perazzi
silver seitz or a bowen
silver seitz trap guns wobble on hinge pin

silver seitz vs infinity

will a silver seitz stock work on a bowen