1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BOW turkey hunt/seminar....I went!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by yvonne, Apr 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yvonne

yvonne Banned User Banned

I went to a BOW (Becoming an Outdoors Woman) Turkey hunting seminar today! The people there were so informed, so much fun and so supportive! I'm going to my first Turkey Hunt on May 4th at Ft. Devens in Massachusetts. I can't wait! I sighted in my 1187 and got the pattern perfect! (Can you tell I'm so excited I'm using all the !!!!'s I can????) Any advise????

2. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Hold still. Those turkeys can see 350 degrees in peripheral vision. Good luck.

Nick

3. don q

don q TS Member

Hit'em in the head with copper plated 5s and they will drop like a rock. Just don't pull your gun up till it's time, could be a long wait. Good luck (post my turkey pic if you want). don q

4. K80433SC

K80433SC Member

In actuality, a turkey's peripheral vision is about 270 degrees. That having been said, do not make ANY movement if you even THINK he is looking your way. And even if he has his tail-end toward you, it is advised to wait until he comes to full strut before making any movements. His tail will help to obstruct his view.........

I am far from an expert, but I have had decent success over the years. My best 3 turkey hunting tips are : 1. Never set up with the sun to your back. RARELY will a gobbler approach a position with the sun in his face. 2. If he is within 50 yards, and looking in your direction - do not even "blink your eyes." 3. If you do not kill him right off the roost, take a nap until about 9am - then "hunt like hell" - until noon-time.

I have killed the majority of my birds between 10am and noon. The rest have been the proverbial "gobble ; fly down ; strut in ; shoot"...........but - they have been the minority. *smiles*

Best of luck to you. I am always happy to hear of another turkey hunter joining the ranks. But -- be advised.........it has the ability to become a "sickness". lol.

5. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

Be careful when turkey hunting where there could be others hunting. I always consider this when placing any decoy I use. Another warning. This weekend I was hunting public land. We were trying to put the sneak on a flock of turkeys strutting in an open field. Right on the edge of the field I saw a turkey opening and closing his tail feathers like a fan. He was also doing tom yelps. Upon looking again through binoculars I could barely make out a camo hat at the base of the fan. It was another hunter using a turkey fan to hide his head. All I could see above the horizon was his head with the fan behind it. Without the binoculars all I could see was turkey tail feathers. Not very bright on public land. Like going around during deer season with a set of antlers on your head.

6. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Have fun regardless of wether you score on a Trukey or not

7. craby boy

craby boy TS Member

Be early pattern that gun again, I like heavy shot 6s then 4s, a good back rest on your low seat, bug spray.

Be safe have fun,

CB

8. yvonne

yvonne Banned User Banned

I used Winchester Super X copper plated #6....1 1/2 oz of shot. I just found a 20 count box of super x 6 Winchester 1 1/4 oz shot in my reloading room. If I decide to go out again, will they do?

9. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Yea they will do. Just a little less margin for error.

10. don q

don q TS Member

You bet, copper plated anything 6 or bigger will make them dead. 2/34 shells are plenty to get the job done, good to out to 50 yds. Keep covered up and don't move till it's time. Takes 20 mins to breast him out and it is better than store bought, make sure you save the fan. don q

11. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

My youngest son has killed several big Ohio toms with his 20 ga. auto-5 and 1 ounce of 6s. Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.