1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bow-hunting in the Dark?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by richrob, Oct 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. richrob

richrob TS Member

I could use a little help/advice on deer hunting. I've gone out a few times this year and where I'm hunting it stays pretty dark till well after shooting time (1/2 hour before sunrise).

Every morning around sunrise the deer come by to go the creek, I can hear them and make out the shapes but its not enough where I am willing to take a shot. Is there anything I can do? Should I just wait and hope they start sleeping in a little more?

Thanks, Rich

2. trapshootingfran

trapshootingfran TS Member

Get as close to the creek as you can get, the longer it takes them to get to the creek the better off you are, you might just get a shot. good hunting.

3. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Richrob, Move your set up down the trail, preferrably near an opening where you'll get more early daylight. Stay downwind of the trail. Try a late afternoon hunt at the same place, but get there atleast an hour or more early.

4. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

My bow sight has a light that you can activate that makes the sight pin glow. Don't recommend shooting in the dark but the lighted pin allows you to place the pin on a vital area if you can see the deer's silhouette and identify it as a buck.

5. richrob

richrob TS Member

Thanks guys, I am pretty much backed up all the way to the water so for now I'm just gonna hope this weather cools off and try it a few nights this week after work. - Rich

6. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

Figure out the direction the take after going to the creek and set along that trail. It will take them a little while to get there and it should be light enough by then to get a good clean shot.

7. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

Rich,

"in the dark"...

"try it a few nights"...

Hope you're not breaking any law...

might use different wording...

Good Hunting!

milt

8. atashooter

atashooter Member

Stevie Wonder says he has no problem hunting in the dark...

9. leadhead358

leadhead358 Member

If your really quick get a coon hunters hat, flip the light on real quick and shoot.

10. richrob

richrob TS Member

Update

I finally made it back out today after work, with most of the leaves down much more light is getting through.

Now that its cooling down the deer are a lot more active. I had a smaller doe licking the ladder on my stand for about 15 minutes today, I held off on it for the larger one rustling around in the brush. Never got a shot off, going back tomorrow.

- Rich

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

bow hunting shooting deer near dark

bow shooting in the dark

shooting bow when dark