1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bourbon or Scotch Whiskey Tasting

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by fssberson, Feb 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

If I was going to hold a bourbon or scotch tasting event AFTER a shoot at the range, HOW WOULD I DO SO?? Please make some suggestions on how to organize and run an event. Fred

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    If Joe Can't-Hold-His-Liquor-Trapshooter imbibes too much and gets into a fatal accident on the way home, what will you have done to protect yourself and the club from a multi-million dollar lawsuit?

If you can't answer that, then your idea probably is not worth the risk.

3. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Ah Sh-T! Forget about the liabilities go for it. Buy about 5 bottles each of $50.00 to 100.00 a bottle of scotch and bourbon and let the contest begin. No wash needed just ice and water. Water for a rinse not to pollute. Ice for the week t-t's. That's my suggestion. Of course you could have coke, ginger ale, 7 up ect for the people who do not like bourbon or scotch. I am A bourban connoisseur. Had to get spell check to spell that one. LOl

Bigcat thanked this.
  4. JM_KC

JM_KC TS Member

I would suggest that you get one scotch from each of the five different scotch producing regions: Highlands, Lowlands, Speyside, Islay, and cambeltown. it is very helpful to have someone leading the tasting that is knowledgeable about the different types of whiskeys and can explain the difference between a single malt, a vetted malt, a blend, etc. I would also throw in an Irish Whisky and a bourbon just to give everyone a sense of how the taste differs. As far as dram shop liability, that varies from state to state. Best of luck!

5. JM_KC

JM_KC TS Member

I would suggest that you get one scotch from each of the five different scotch producing regions: Highlands, Lowlands, Speyside, Islay, and cambeltown. it is very helpful to have someone leading the tasting that is knowledgeable about the different types of whiskeys and can explain the difference between a single malt, a vetted malt, a blend, etc. I would also throw in an Irish Whisky and a bourbon just to give everyone a sense of how the taste differs. As far as dram shop liability, that varies from state to state. Best of luck!

6. JM_KC

JM_KC TS Member

7. JM_KC

JM_KC TS Member

8. JM_KC

JM_KC TS Member

9. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

JM, That's a heck of a flinch you have there! LOL

10. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

No Bill, That's the bourbon!! :) Bob

11. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Fred:

Brian is absolutely correct. There is a big liability issue here if you serve alcohol with the intention of allowing more than one or two drinks per person. There could also be another problem if the club is not licensed to dispense alcohol.

The last time I was drunk (and I mean curb crawling, commode hugging drunk) was after a Welcome Wagon wine tasting event in 1974. It was in Troy, Ohio in July. The weather was hot and muggy and the tasting was held in a church basement with no air conditioning. There was no food or anything to drink except wine. i do remember a large washtub of some type of wine punch that was the only cold drink available. I am told than many others were also smashed and that approximately 90 people consumed over 109 bottles of wine.

Let me tell you, a wine hangover is one of the worst. Not even the "hair of the dog that bit you" will quell the pain.

I am aware of a Christmas party held by a liquor distiller in which a company official consumed several drinks and was involved in a serious automobile accident after the party. It cost the company plenty in attorney fees and the individual was fined, got a suspended sentence for manslaughter and lost his driving rights for an extended period of time.

Hold an ice cream social instead.

Ed Ward

12. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Flinch or hiccups?

13. SARGE75X

SARGE75X Member

I know they do this every year at the Highland games(Oak Park Illinois), you are provided with a vessel to spit it out after tasting, but I like others saw this as a waste of good Scotch, so down the hatch. Afterword I hooked up with a another Vet who was disabled and had a bottle of Glenlivet in his wheelchair, the wife besides being poed was now driving. Scotch straight up on a 100 degree day is not a good idea.

14. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Yes, the liability may not = the fun. Another "good" idea down the drain. Hmmm. An ice cream social?? Maybe like a chilli cook off with each person bringing/making their homemade ice cream recipe???? Thanks for the responses, you have triggered several other ideas [chilli cook off, ice cream making, Tri tip tasting [with bourbon of course]. Fred

15. JM_KC

JM_KC TS Member

Seems like every time I post, it post two or more times...sober or not!!!!

16. brownk80

brownk80 Member

I agree you should buy 5 or so bottles of $100 scotch for the tasting. And, in order to avoid the liabiltiy send them to me. I will taste it and let you know which one is the best. Believe me, I am just looking out for your best interets. Contact me for suggestions as to which Scotch you should buy. :-{

17. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

AT big shoot most are camping out in RV's or motels.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.