1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Bourbon again

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by shannon391, Apr 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Ok, I'm performing a blind taste test with four inexpensive pours. When I say inexpensive I mean about $20 or so, per 750ml. I know there are higher end brands but I'm looking for hidden value. (In today's market you don't have to break the bank to find a solid bourbon.}

I poured equal amounts in matching tumblers, with one cube and a few drops of Dasani purified water to "open up" the Bourbon.

Today we are tasting:

Wild Turkey 81

Ancient Age

Buffalo Trace

Rebel Reserve

Turkey was peppery and slightly raw but fairly mellow. Ancient age was light in color and very raw, still palatable for a $12 bottle.

Buffalo Trace is very smooth with hints of fruit and oak with a nice finish.

Rebel Reserve really comes on quickly as a super mellow and slightly smokey pour, then warms up on the palate for a very nice bourbon flavor and finish.

It's a close tie with Buffalo Trace and Rebel Reserve, but I think I like the wheaty Rebel best!

Thank You for tuning in, we will sample some other makers soon. Drink responsibly!
  2. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

Ha, I was doing the same thing with a few "better" bourbons. (For those who know I'm a CPA, don't worry. The numbers get bigger after a few belts.)

Makers Mark

Eagle Rare Single Barrel

Knob Creek Single Barrel

Wild Turkey Rare Breed

Because I am working "after hours," the ice is melting and ruining the test. I will report back on sipping them neat.

Danny
  3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Active Member

This is not a bourbon but a blended whiskey. try Canadian Hunter. Half Gal is $17 and the best I have found
  4. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Some of the terms confuse me: What is "nicely finished? "slightly raw, but fairly mellow" and "hints of fruit and oak". I like my Makers Mark which is just good "s--t". Fred
  5. sixten38

sixten38 Member

Can you get Ancient Ancient Age where you live? It is in the gold label bottle rather than the cream colored one and is the best value bourbon I have found. In North Carolina it sells for $24 for the 1.75L bottle. On the rocks or mixed with Ginger Ale cannot beat it for the money.
  6. Loyac

Loyac Member

Woodford Reserve... Oh my...
  7. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Fssberson,

I could simplify some of my descriptions to simpler terms like "yummy" and "yucky" if it helps you?
  8. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

fssberson,

I could simplify my descriptions for you, with terms like "yummy" and "yucky" if it helps?

Makers is pretty good s--t!
  9. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

I really like Ezra Brooks (90 proof) for the money. Around $13.00 for 750ml here in Bourbon Country (KY)!
  10. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA Well-Known Member

We drink WINDSOR here at my house. Canadian Blend-about $14.99 on sale at M+R Liquors in Amarillo. Decent stuff. I like Pendelton also. I love Crown, but the purple bag is expensive. I tried some Captain Meyers last week. Not bad rum. Charlie
  11. deercreek

deercreek Active Member

We recently toured Woodford Reserve and the Buffalo Trace Distilleries in KY. Both were very enjoyable and very informative. One of the highlights of the tours was being able to drink straight from the still---that was like fire that took my breath away. While not a big Bourbon fan at all, an occasional gulp with friends is ok, but I found that you cannot leave that open bottle with those friends. I recently tried a brand named Bulleit that we stumbled across while on a short trip in FL. From what I remember, it was what I think people mean by "smooth".
  12. deercreek

deercreek Active Member

We recently toured Woodford Reserve and the Buffalo Trace Distilleries in KY. Both were very enjoyable and very informative. One of the highlights of the tours was being able to drink straight from the still---that was like fire that took my breath away. While not a big Bourbon fan at all, an occasional gulp with friends is ok, but I found that you cannot leave that open bottle with those friends. I recently tried a brand named Bulleit that we stumbled across while on a short trip in FL. From what I remember, it was what I think people mean by "smooth".
  13. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Best at any price is Alberta Springs. Only available in Canada but damn that stuff is so smooooooth. At least that is what several of us have agreed on when we make the northern trek each year. The stuff is amazing. Costs about 40.00 for 750ml.
  14. BARTMAN

BARTMAN TS Member

Makers Mark here.
  15. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

Woodford Reserve is really top notch!

Oscar
  16. SlowArrow

SlowArrow Member

Okay, now you got me thinking and I really need something to sip. Got a couple bottles of Pappy's that should cure that need.
  17. Gunn

Gunn TS Member

When I drank, I liked Ancient Age and branch water. Tim
  18. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Does anyone remember I.W. Harpers from the 60's? That was a really nice bourbon. Fred
  19. johnboy

johnboy Member

15 year old, 107 proof Pappy over ice, very sweet.
  20. RED Z06

RED Z06 Member

Another vote for Woodford Reserve.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.