1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bought the Wife a Bobcat 25acp

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by C-Money, Jul 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. C-Money

C-Money Member

Bought my wife a Beretta Bobcat in 25acp. She feels comfortable with the easy operation and mild recoil of this firearm. She is quite accurate with it and will only get better. It has had zero jam's or malfunctions so far. Anyone have any thing good or bad to say about this pistol? Thanks,Corey

2. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Good gun for plinking, Not very good for protection in a life threating situation.

3. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

If someone shot me with a 25 and I found out about It, I'd be mad.

4. spritc

spritc Active Member

C, what they're saying about the 25 acp is true. There couldn't be a worse round for self defense. Unless you can shoot them in the eye every time.

Steve

5. coyote268

coyote268 TS Member

Everybody is right, a 22 hollow point will do more damage and has better stopping power.
    Dan

6. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

In small automatics 22 rimfire is the most unreliable partly because 22 ammo itself is not very reliable and it's more difficult for the rimmed 22 ammo to feed out of a magazine. No matter what the jello tests may show it doesn't matter much if the pistol missfires. The 25acp is not anyones first choice but it does have a much better chance of at least going bang when you need it, plenty of folks have been put down with one. If you insist on 22 go with a revolver so you can at least pull the trigger until it fires.

7. grammie

grammie TS Member

truth be known,,,,the 22. has ended many a persons life,,,and brought down many large game animals during the depression....And like always,,its not how big the slug is,,,its where you put it!!!!

That being said,,,the 25 auto is what was known as a pimps gun,,a gamblers companion,,saturday night special,,its effective as a "possible hedge to a real threat",,,But as far as stopping someone who is already killing mad,,or otherwise hyped-up on something,,,Well,,,it leaves a lot to be desired!!! To really stop someone generally requires that a large bone be hit,,or what is viewed as an instant fatal hit in neck,head,heart.....spine,,hip shots will do,,but they are not instant,,,and under duress any of those shots may be impossible.....

AKA Grammie............

8. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

I know a guy who's dad was accidentily shot in the face with a .25acp, he drove himself to the hospital and was fine.

9. C-Money

C-Money Member

Well, I went with the 25acp due to the reliable feeding from magazines. Sure it is not the best for self defence, but she shoots it well. I'd rather her have a 25acp and not need it , than need a pistol of any kind and not have it. Did that make sence?? Kinda quoted Lonesome Dove, Just feel better knowing she has an option of self defence if needed.

10. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

A good 9mm or .380 feeds much better than a .25 and is easier to load and operate. Sorry but the gun is not good choice and could easily end up being used against her.

This has been hashed over many times and there is much good info available on this topic.

11. oz

oz Active Member

I have a Tomcat .32 cal. you can get silvertip hollowpoints that are very effective. I would buy a .22 before a .25 as the ammo is much cheaper. oz

12. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

If she can shoot it- its not perfect but better than anything that she couldnt shoot and it is small

she should shoot it often- not only to become accurate with it but also to more importantly become confident in function with it

regards from Iowa

Gene

13. C-Money

C-Money Member

Lots of negative poasts. I still feel good about the selection. It DID NOT JAM while shooting. She has had trouble with alot of different reliable pistols, including my Beretta 92fs due to higher recoil and not the strongest wrist. The empty cases would get stuck in the slide on many different models. My wife is not as seasoned of a shooter as all of us at TS.com. This pistol is working for her so I will try to keep the progress going and someday, she will get a larger caliber! As always thanks for the comments. Corey

14. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Bobcat. I thought this thread was going to be about skid steers. I was going to recommend a John Deere.

15. cnjranch

cnjranch Member

As mentioned above a good reliable round is what is needed for this weapon. Mag-safe is really the only great round for this caliber and will be more than enough with good shot placement. Numerous test on the 25 acp with mag safe rounds and the data collected made this caliber effective between a 32 cal and a 38 caliber.

James

16. cableguy

cableguy TS Member

Think of, and try to convince your wife that this is an interim gun. Use it to build her confidence and, her shooting skills. After a period of time and lots of practice, step up to a larger caliber. Take small steps up to the largest caliber that both of you are comfortable with. My wife went from .22 to .38 to .357 to .40SW. It took some time for her to build up the confidence but, woe be the intruder that enters my house now.

Good luck.

Shawn

17. Loyac

Loyac Member

The .32 cal TOMCAT would have been a better choice in that size of handgun.

18. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Not the best choice but it beats a snowball. Just keep shooting till the gun is empty.

19. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

The Tomcat is a good gun but many women and seniors can't handle the heavy trigger pull and the hard to retract slide. I know the tilt barrel takes away some of the need to rack the slide but it is still too hard to do for some. Ross

20. johnpe

johnpe Member

The 25 ACP is not a defense caliber, but it is better than none at all. However, neither is the 22 RF with any loading. My father only killed one deer in his life, but he did it with one shot from a 25 ACP in a Browning copy Colt. Where you put it is what counts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.