1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bought some lead yesterday...

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Trucido, Jun 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trucido

Trucido TS Member

I ran out of lead this weekend, so I went and bought lead at my club today. Remington STS 6% ant., 25 pound bag for $27.75 + tax. I was pretty amazed that the prices had not gone up, because if the shot were pure lead...it would be worth $26.25 in raw materials. I can't find the price of antimony, but even if its only $2/lb (I think its well over $5), then the raw materials would be $27.68. My club obviously has a stock of lead sitting around and is just continuing the sell at the cheap price (I wish gas stations would do this!).

I'm only shooting about 300-400 shells a week (might go up to 500 pretty soon), 1oz loads, so a 25lb bag should last me a week. Should I just stock up on lead and buy enough for a couple of months (don't have the money/storage space to buy more)?

-Kyle

PS - my club is Otter Creek SC in Cedar Rapids, IA

2. lumper

lumper TS Member

I would buy as much as you can afford and storage could be had for about $10 if you got a weatherproof tub thingie and set it outside under the porch filled with bags of shot.

3. Trucido

Trucido TS Member

Let me clearify storage: I am on a internship in Iowa until August...at which time I will move back to NY to continue college. I am currently in a small apartment and anything I buy and do not use before mid-august will have to drive back to NY with me.

I think that I will probably go buy another like 10 bags, but I don't think that I will buy more than that...

4. lumper

lumper TS Member

Under those conditions I would buy just what you think you will use plus one extra bag.

5. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

I would buy a few extra bags. You can always sell the ones you don't use back to members of the club. If prices keep going up, you make make a profit but at least you won't loose a lot of money. I wouldn't haul them back to New York since it just costs you more gas and if you sell them before you leave, you can make a down payment on a gallon of gas. LOL

6. johara1

johara1 TS Member

try to sell lead and see what they will pay,.06@pound not a$1.06 sounds like a lot of B.S.and a rip off.......jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.