1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

bought my first perazzi

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by sean justice, Mar 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sean justice

sean justice TS Member

yesterday my brand new mx-8 came in. 32 inch ou, nickle finish receiver, nice looking wood. its a sporting gun. i shoot trap and sporting. it has a great forearm like a snable but without the ugly lip. almost bought the mx-12,but decided on the 8. this gun just feels perfect,balance. ive owned krieghoff in the past, great triggers but just wanted something different. bought k-guns,and berettas used, first brand new high end gun. almost bought kolar, but went italian. have some questions , it says dont store in case for long, will rust. and what rust prevention method and steps should i take, what lube, dry fire when i break it down or not, how would you use snap caps with bbl off.

2. otnot

otnot Active Member

Just take the triggers out and hold onto the hammers and pull the trigger. Put the triggers back in.

3. white rattler

white rattler Member

Sean, Good luck with your new P gun. I have shot them for 25 years. Any gun will rust if left in a case. When you are done shooting it and after you have taken the spring pressure off the hammers just give it a light wipe of oil and if you want to store it in the case just do not close the case. Trevor Dawe.

4. vdt

vdt Active Member

keep it clean and oiled will last you a life time mines is a 1983 P=gun.....vdt

5. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

I don't want to cause apoplexy among the purists, but I don't believe there is any reason why you can't just pull the trigger at the end of the day. Then put it on and off safe and you can snap the other hammer.

As for storing a gun with snap caps in it, it seems to me that you're just providing a surface that will trap moisture in your chamber. Those wool snap caps seem even worse.

6. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

Firing pins are not designed to go all the way forward but rather to strike the primer. Damage occures from dry firing a Perazzi both to the pin and the hole which will become oblong. Some gun makers designs differ. Post-2

7. sean justice

sean justice TS Member

thanks for help everyone, theres places that sell buffalo horn shaped so you can hold up to breech when dry fire. its more of a vintage thing but does anyone have exp. with it. i guess i didnt want to remove trigger group all the time. and what if i bought mx-2000\12, non-removable.

8. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

If dry firing worrys you, just put a fired shell against the breech face and pull the trigger/s. I've seen shooters use a penny on the breech face also.

Eric

9. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

like hoosier daddy said, use fired shell or snap caps, then when you disassemble the gun the caps or fired shells pull out. I do that with my MX-10 all the time. BRGII

10. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

I had heard the traditional axiom that you should never dry fire a shotgun too. I don't insist I know the answer; I just wonder whether it's actually true.

11. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Well, the only thing left for me to do is start the argument about grease versus oil....

I use Tri Flow oil (recommended by Giacomo)..you can get it from Gamaliel shooting supply on line, or most any decent bicycle shop in your area. Mine is 2.5 years old....close to 30,000 rounds through it. Looks new.

And don't worry about taking the trigger in and out. Mine gets shot an AVERAGE of 3 days a week and the trigger comes in and out each time.

Congrats on the new gun!!!!

Many folks will argue...but once I got used to it (it swings a little faster than the SKB I used to shoot), I'm seeing improvements in scores. Total confidence will do that for a fella...

12. kiwiG

kiwiG Member

Hi Sean, I leave my MX-8 in it's case (lightly oiled) between shoots (tri-weekly) and have no issues with rust...I use sewing machine oil on the exterior, and a heavier oil in the barrels. I don't,however, release the hammers with empty shells...like yourself I only take the triggers out rarely for inspection...I use the butt end of my cleaning rod against the breech face as a stopper for the firing pins. Congrats, on your new purchase. Cheers-Graham.

13. sean justice

sean justice TS Member

going to get some tri-flo. should i remove grease thats on it,just curios. any shooters from delaware out there.

14. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Degrease, but don't take off the varnish.

Perazzi has always varnished their entire guns at the final end of the manufacturing process. That thin coat of varnish will last a couple of seasons before there is the slightest wear to the blue or case colors. You can see it. It looks like a very thin coat of clear nail polish. Jake

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.