1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bought a poor Trap Gun,Admit it, or defend it?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 1oldtimer, Feb 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

So you shelled out the big bucks for a high dollar P-K or whatever trap gun. Right from the start,it gave you trouble and problems. Most shooters don't want to look dumb or admit they made a mistake. The question is, how many will admit they made a mistake and how many will simply defend their purchase no matter how bad, to save face? Clyde D

2. TrapCrazy

TrapCrazy TS Member

Why do we always have posts about high dollar trap gun bashing? Like this one and the other one about who is disppointed with there Kgun? What gives? Just like anything from a car to a widget, there is always a few that have problems etc. These posts are so bogus. Why not make the post like who bought a trap gun that they regret? I bought one a Gamba and it sucked. However I bought a krieghoff I love, a ljutic I love and have liked every browning I ever owned except a 32" BT 99. Do you have a krieghoff or P gun? Just curious or do you want to defend the position that they are waste of money because some people don't like them or had a bad experience with them?

3. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Clyde.... I'll admit to it. I've done it twice. Once on a beautiful Perazzi TMX Special that I couldn't shoot at all, and again on a nice Kreighoff KS-5 that had more misses in it than hits. Also had a Ljutic mono gun that I could never shoot handicap with. Great gun for singles, but, that was it. FWIW, I went back to a Perazzi and am now shooting an MX-3 Special combo that does everything I ask it to do.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

edited: Also had a Perazzi MX-15 that I couldn't shoot. It, too, went down the road..... Dan

4. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Trap Crazy- Bashing? You seem to have all the answers. Draw your own conclusions. Notice I sign my name. Clyde D

5. Browning Boy

Browning Boy Member

I've never had a bad trap gun. But I'm always looking for a better one. That being said I know a fellow shooter who has a different trap gun every other week. He has had everything from Berettas to Lutics and still can't buy a decent trap score. It's not the gun it's the nut behind the stock. I know guy's who buy $50 mossebergs and run 100 straights. It's all in your mind.

George Ware

6. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I've never seen a poor "quality" trap gun.. Only good guns I shot poorly..Now.. a game I played when I shot skeet was very simple.. A squad of 5 shooters..each swapping guns with another shooter for 5 rounds..At the end of 5 rounds.. high score won the money.. That taught me ALOT about different guns.. The MX2005 is a prime example of me choosing a bad barrel for me..That does not mean everyone..just ME..

I had my run of Krieghoff..Beretta..Kolar was short lived.. Bernardelli's..Seitz..Cole..Perazzi.. Winchester.. Remington.. Savage..Flodman.. Caprius..as well as some I forgot.. Each and everyone could have done wonderful things for the right shooter.. It was not a good match for me.. and some matches were better than others..

There are a few things that come into play..Gun fit.. gun weight.. balance..all of which I group together in shooters dynamics.. A kolar and an Alferman are both excellent guns.. but usually to heavy for me.. That does not make it a poor trapgun.. just the wrong one for me.. Most of what I shoot best.. I've built for me... It takes a while to even know what's right for you.. Usually.. at least 3.. and probably more like 5 trapguns..

As you progress in trapshooting..your style..and what you need will change.. How many of you started out at 50/50 pull.. and now shoot a 90/10 release???

Some shooters are born again when they shoot a stock .5" shorter than what their best friend told them to shoot..

I've seen shooters get a new lease on life going to an ultra fast Reitz style release trigger set for THEM..and not the previous owner..

Life is to short to defend a bad choice.. Just chalk it up to learning.. and move on..

7. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Oh Dan..I doubt if you shot a bad score with the TMX.. only not your best scores.. I'm not 2 sure you ever shot a bad score.. All Good.. Mike

8. TrapCrazy

TrapCrazy TS Member

Clyde D,
    My point was this post is useless. Eveyone has made a mistake sometime or another but to simply call out who has bought a high end gun and made a mistake is kind of silly. I am sure they are plenty of people who have bought stuff they have been unhappy with not just K and p guns.... What next, who has bought a highend blender that they are unhappy with? :)

9. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

TrapCrazy.. I respectfully disagree with you.. At the GRAND I have met shooters who think that because they bought a Perazzi.. EVERYTHING is going to be great.. They either don't know.. or don't understand..it's not the $$$$$$$$ that make a great shooter.. The more they hear of other people buying the wrong gun.. or wrong combination and understand.. it's just a small part of the game.. The quicker they can move on..and start shooting better scores.. I'd hate to loose a shooter because he doesn't know any better..Especially when a barrel swap.. or stock fitting could allow him to shoot a whole bunch better..

10. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

I suspect that most who start these threads have never owned a high dollar gun and yes the thread is useless. So Clyde thump your chest over your name but it dosen't change the thread from being in the dumb category.

Don

11. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

For when you thump your chest. LOL

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MwHWbsvgQUE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12. shotgun1957

shotgun1957 TS Member

stick to them old brownings, i was shooting last year and beat the socks off my squad in the handicap shooting from the 22 yd. line, they started commenting on me beating them with my old wore out bt99 plus they all had either a kgun or pgun when my old friend who was watching said well at least yall looked better when you missed

13. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Any gun, no matter the price does not a shooter make!!

Curt

14. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Fugly has taken alot of money from those dudes with them fancy guns..They thought it was the arrow.. Never was.. never will be.. The gun cost less than $100.. the PFS stock cost way more.. My old field grade 870 pump has done similar damage to the unknowing..

15. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

I thought I said P-K or whatever, to save space. Did not single out just P&K. And by the way, after 55+ years of shooting, I have owned a high dollar gun or two. One of the nicest was a K combo with Tom Smith custom wood @ $5,000 +. Gorgeous gun,just could not shoot it. A thread has to be on the dumb side to match the replies, right? Don't take life too serious. Clyde

16. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Mike.... I have shot MANY, MANY, bad scores in my time, and still have one now and then. Just seems to sneak right up on me in the middle of a round and grab me by the gonads and, wham, my score is in the dumper..... lol.. No matter how much I tried with that TMX, I just couldn't get the hang of it. It just plain felt un-natural to me from the 2nd day I bought it. (The first day, they ALL feel good, don't they?). Sure wish I could have, tho', it was a beauty. I hated to part with it. The shooter I traded with shot it extremely well.... Go figure. I had the same problem with the MX-15. Just couldn't get my eyes to work right with the unsingle barrel.... High rib guns are a thing of the past with me. Nothing more than a bad memory. The MX-3 Special is as high ribbed as I'm going from now on. I just shoot better with my eyes closer to the barrel...... Dan

17. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

Some day when I have enough money (extra money) to buy a P or K gun I will let you know until then I have had good and bad B guns lmao.

Jerry Lewis

18. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

If it doesn't work for ya, move on. Unless you like pretty guns better than winning.

19. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

The last time I broke 200 straight was around 3 K-80's ago!!

20. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I have a friend (80) yrs old---Took out a 12ga Franchi 48/al last mo---used his old AA reloads and broke 50 straight---That gun had crakes in the stock---
    field grade that he uses for duck hunting---deer hunting---crow hunting---
    He has the $$s to buy anything he wants---Its the indian not the arrow---When we were kids not too many could beat him---ITS the INDIAN---SJB---

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.