1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bought a New car and Avoided Hassle

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by omgb, Dec 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

Gentlemen and Ladies, I wanted to share my latest new car buying experience with you just in case some of you are contemplating a purchase and would like to avoid the hassle usually associated with this process. I can imagine a few nay-sayers out there will tell me I'll full of horse pucky but what I'm saying actually happened and can happen the same for you too.

First, my wife and I shopped the internet until we found a car we really liked. For us, that was the 2012 Toyota Rav 4 with a V6. We made our choice based on this info and the fact that we already had a 2008 Rav with a V6 and liked it. Our interest rte on the old Rav reflected the interest rates in 2009 when we bought it, about 6%. The new rates ran from 0% to 2.9 depending on terms etc.

Next my wife shopped Kelly Blue Book on line to get and idea of what dealers invoice was and what we should be paying. We wanted a Limited model with the on-board Nav system and as I said, the V6. We did not want silver. Drive a silver car on Los Angeles streets and freeways and you will get hit. They just plain disappear at dusk. Any way, I digress. KBB said we should expect to see a MSRP of $33,900 or more for the 2WD version with our selected options. It further said that we should expect to pay about $29,500 and get a $1,500 cash back incentive. Not too bad but.....I wanted to check Consumer Reports to be sure. So, I paid the $30 for the annual on-line membership. This is where it got interesting.

I built the car on line using their web site. They told me the MSRP would be $33,700 delivered to CA. However, they came up with six dealerships that would honor a price of $28,500 NOT INCLUDING OUR $1,500 CB incentive. All six contacted me within 4 hours. One dealership was willing to commit to an on-line trade in price of $8,200 for my old RAV (we checked that price with both CU and KBB and both said anywhere between $7,500 and $8,500 for our year and model in good condition) That same dealership, Power Toyota of Cerritos, also signed an on-line price pledge of $28,774 (we took a car with an additional $277 option package) I faxed them my DL, insurance card and a pre-approval financing note from our credit union (we had obtained that the day before).

It was a 48 mile 1 hour drive across LA to the dealership. When we arrived for our appointment the car was washed, dried and ready. We test drove it and liked it very much. We then went in, handed over our keys and let them inspect our trade in. They came back and said $8,200 was no problem. We signed the sales contract and handed over $5,000 down (all of the paper work was done when we arrived just as promised) In less than 90 minutes we were on our way home.

As to the $5,000 down, that was my idea. In the CU it was earning .15%... thank you Federal Reserve. Since I would be financing through the CU at 2.9% the money was better applied to the car than sitting in the account.

This was painless. All of the haggling was done electronically as dealers bid for my business. I was actually able to get the dealer to come down $500 when I pointed out that he had a $525 dealer kick-back. That was something the KBB did not show that CU did as an incentive for CA dealers.

So, I can't recommend this process highly enough. This was great and very easy. Our sales price was extremely good and the trade in was fair. Now I have a new car with a payment less than my old car payment.

R Talley

2. crusha

crusha TS Member

What...you didn't want to go talk to the man with the checkered leisure jacket, boasting about all his varmint rifles? I thought everybody liked that.

3. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

Yea, right. Let me tell you about Frontier Toyota in Santa Clarita. We went to look at the new models the day before our purchase. I made that clear when we came onto the lot. That's when we met "K". K knew nothing about the models we wanted and actually told us things I knew were false. Even after I told him I would never buy another car from Frontier (two bad experiences in 10 years was enough) he persisted in trying to sell me that car and told me in no uncertain terms that "nobody can sell that model equiped like that for less than $31,000" Mr. K was a typical idiot. We finally saw enough and left. FWIW, while I won't buy a car from Frontier they do get my service business. It's only the sales department that I have issues with.

4. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Well done ombg. I hate every dime some greasy sales puke gets of my money.

5. oz

oz Active Member

I did my shopping online in 2005. I just can't believe a rav-4 lists for 33K!! Is it because it's in commiefornia? I found the vehicle I wanted, bargained online, made the deal and went to the dealership. They said they wanted $500 more because that they had to pay for advertising on every car. I almost walked out because I can't stand the toyota advertising, (any others for that matter)

6. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

The price of all vehicles is insane

That's why I now drive them til they drop, got 225,000 on my F 250 and it's still running fine

7. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I did my shopping the simplified way ... My wife found the car she wanted, looked it up on the internet and we put all of the figures together ... We went to the dealer, found the Hyundai Azera Limited she wanted and asked for the best deal he could come up with in less than 15 minutes because we were heading to another dealer that had the same car in their inventory ... He said $26,400 and change with my wifes trade which was a 2002 Hyundai XG 350L with 118,000 miles on it ... I told him that I would write him a check for $20,000 and give her trade, out the door ... His boss had to look at the deal, came in said they can't sell it for that but will let me have it for $20,047 out the door with her trade ... I was going to walk but my wife wanted the car and wrote the check for $20,047 and we got back home in less than an hour from the time we left ... I keep telling her she need a new Geneisis, so far she's not ready to get rid of the Azera, I think I am wearing her down though ... I already have all of the figures together for when she says okay ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

8. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I did my shopping the simplified way ... My wife found the car she wanted, looked it up on the internet and we put all of the figures together ... We went to the dealer, found the Hyundai Azera Limited she wanted and asked for the best deal he could come up with in less than 15 minutes because we were heading to another dealer that had the same car in their inventory ... He said $26,400 and change with my wifes trade which was a 2002 Hyundai XG 350L with 118,000 miles on it ... I told him that I would write him a check for $20,000 and give her trade, out the door ... His boss had to look at the deal, came in said they can't sell it for that but will let me have it for $20,047 out the door with her trade ... I was going to walk but my wife wanted the car and wrote the check for $20,047 and we got back home in less than an hour from the time we left ... I keep telling her she need a new Geneisis, so far she's not ready to get rid of the Azera, I think I am wearing her down though ... I already have all of the figures together for when she says okay ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.