1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bottom single or top single ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Rodney0124, Jun 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rodney0124

Rodney0124 TS Member

I am looking at buying a 682 trap combo, and dont have the luxery of shooting one prior. (I do have a 682 sporting that I love.) I have a couple questions,
    1...Bottom single or top single ? How do I decide what is best for me ?
    2...Can I interchange barrels with my sporting ?

2. Rodney0124

Rodney0124 TS Member

I am looking at buying a 682 trap combo, and dont have the luxery of shooting one prior. (I do have a 682 sporting that I love.) I have a couple questions,
    1...Bottom single or top single ? How do I decide what is best for me ?
    2...Can I interchange barrels with my sporting ?

3. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

You will here a bunch of diff. things on witch one is the best. The one that is the best is the one that fits you and you shoot the best. The under is the most popular it seems and it just plain looks cool. You should try and shoot them both before putting the loot down. I like the under myself, but also have shot my bt-99 very well. I didn't mean to confuse you more but thats probably what is going to happen when this thread gets going. Everyone will have there own opinion and in the end will come down to what works for you.

4. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I agree with goose2. It doesn't matter how well someone else shoot either barrel. The most important part is how the gun fits you.

I have the un-single browning combo and like it well. I also had a BT-99 and liked it also. I prefer the un-single because I can adjust the beads to my preferred look. POI is adjusted with the comb height and sight picture is adjusted with the adj. rib.

In either case the 682 is a good choice for a trap gun. Hope I didn't confuse you too much. LOL

Bill

5. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Rodney;

If you shoot your 682 sporting well and its stock dimensions allow you to use the correct shooting form, you might consider measuring its stock dimensions and comparing them to those on the 682-trap.

The differences you would need would be a slightly higher comb (less drop at the comb) and a slightly longer stock - maybe a 1/4-inch.

The key to fit is that the stock dimensions allow the use of the correct stance, gun mount and body posture (shooting form), the one recommended when trap shooting. The form avoids your having to struggle with a limitation to your shooting caused by an incorrect form.

Most people can shoot a bottom single and a few cannot. They have difficulty with the space between the barrel and the top of the rib. It appears that correct fit is more important with bottom singles but the jury is still out as there aren't that many of them in use... yet.

The primary benefits of bottom singles are less barrel rise during recoil and fewer bothersome heat waves from the barrel.

Rollin

6. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Bottom single-------

John C. Saubak

7. Mike Battista

Mike Battista Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

If you can try both setups and see what feels good in your hands. Don't let others make up your mind for you.
    Mike Battista

8. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

It has been said that the under barrel will have less up rise and lower felt recoil because it is lower and closer to the center of the butt stock. I have both upper and under singles for a Krieghoff and like the under single better. They both hit the same and both have adjustable ribs on the Krieghoff so I don't feel sight picture and POI are the difference. Before anyone jumps on the fact that Krieghoff never made an upper single with an adjustable rib - my upper has a Money Maker adjustable on it. Great barrel.

9. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

Rodney - I have not seen any of the new unsingle combos but there are a ton of 682 topsingle combos out there. I would beg a few shots from a fellow shooter who owns one of the guns. You gotta know someone with one of those guns as they seem to be popular. I don't know how they compare to your sporting model, but in general, 682 trap guns come with a lot of wood. They have extremely long LOP, and a very wide stock (comb). I can only shoot one if it has an adjustable butt plate, adjustable comb, and shortened LOP (and I am 6'1"). In my opinion, the top single provides the brain instant and constant knowledge of where the barrel is pointed. If the unsingle offered a great advantage, I wonder why Seitz, Mach One, Alferman, Bowen, Ljutic, etc continue to make top singles and do not make unsingles??

10. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Rodney,

The one thing about a 682 unsingle (older series) is that the rib is not adjustable. The other, is weight. A 34" unsingle 682X Beretta is as heavy as a 90T. I used to have a 682X unsingle combo (#'s matching 34/32) and found it a nice shooting good swinging gun. The weight of it got to me though. A friend of mine has a 32" unsingle 682X Beretta and it is more balanced than the 34". Get a chance to shoot both of them if you can. I have no experience with the newer 682E unsingle, so I can't do a comparison for you.

ec90t

11. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Rodney, I'm not going with the flow here. I'm going to recommend you shoot your 682 Sporting for trap. You will need a higher comb, and perhaps a longer stock as Rollin suggests. You don't say what 682 you have, nor which model you are considering, so here is some general advice.

If your existing stock has an adjustable comb and you have enough travel to raise it another 1/4" to 1/2", it will be usable for trap. You can increase the length if desired by installing a longer recoil pad. Dont buy Beretta's gel pads. They are hard as a rock and hurt. I'd suggest KickEeze or the like. You'll be shooting a lot more shells in a day at trap than you will at Sporting, so recoil is a consideration.

If you can't adjust your current stock, buy a new one with the correct dimensions and simply change it to match the discipline you are shooting that day. I know several people who take that approach. It does work well. Add weight to the trap stock to help with recoil.

If you just have to have a new gun, and it's going to be a Beretta trap gun, you absolutely, positively, for_certain have to shoot it first. I don't know about all 682 models, but with the 682 Gold E Beretta regulates the barrels differently. That's a polite way to say that none of the barrels shoot to the same Point of Impact. AND, they do it on purpose. The bottom barrel shoots a lot higher than the top barrel. It is set up that way to help slow doubles shooters. The top single barrel shoots higher yet, because the rib is ramped differently, and higher still because the rib is lower, so if you keep the same comb height when you change barrels it will shoot way higher than either of the O/U barrels. Some get used to this an learn to shoot it well. Others, like me, did not and sold the gun. That is precisely why you see so many 682 Gold E combos for sale less than a year old.

If you still want one without trying the different combinations, here is some additional advice. Think about what you are doing and how it will affect your shooting at Sporting. You say you really like your 682 Sporter. That means you like the way is feels and swings. The 682 O/U trap barrels are going to be heavier and slower. When you switch to the top single it will move like lightning compared to the O/U, unless you buy a 34/30 combo. Then you are likely to find the difference in sighting a problem. That is something else you'll have to get used to. The "typical" combo is 34" single and 32" O/U and those two barrels don't handle anything close to alike. I'd suggest you try the unsingle combo before you buy. It is more likely the MOI between the two barrels will be closer. Also, the rib of the top single is quite low. When you shoot a lot, or in the summer, the heat risers make life very difficult. That is not a problem with an unsingle.

The 682 Gold E Sporter is a fine gun. It is well balanced, and seems to move to the target by magic. I personally prefer the 32" barrels, because the 30" are a touch to quick in my hands. Their trap combos are not like that. If you buy one without trying it first (for an extended period) because you love the way your Sporter handles, you are likely to be very, very disappointed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

top single vs bottom single