1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bottom Single for one eye, high hold?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by minnship8, May 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. minnship8

minnship8 Well-Known Member

Left eye dominant, right handed one eyed shooter. I currently shoot a 686 Top Single, but use a high gun hold except corner stations. I would like to hear if others who are similar, who have tried both top and bottom singles, have benefited greatly by the move to a bottom single.

Thanks,

Chip Porter

2. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

Hold on the front edge of house on all positions. Eye hold 1 foot out, one foot high. Per Ms. Nora Ross.

blade819

3. minnship8

minnship8 Well-Known Member

Guys,
    I am not asking for hold advice here. I am asking for peoples experience who have a similar style and their experiences with top singles vs. bottom singles.

Thanks,

Chip

4. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Personally I have found that I could shoot either one the same as the other.

I'm a one eye shooter (glass left eye) and I have also found that after trying holding a high gun I could shoot better holding below the top edge of the house on 2, 3, and 4 and outside of 1 and 2 and below the front edge.

My experience with the un-single over the top single is you don't see see the heat waves with the un-single. Some say that you don't get barrel rise after the shot but in 16's and handicap that should make no difference as it is a one shot event. Some also say there is less felt recoil as the un-single is more in line with your shoulder.

5. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

I hold a high gun and am basically a one eyed shoot.
    I have both eyes open when I call pull but tend to close my
    left eye when it's time to shoot the bird.
    I do look below the barrel but as soon as the bird pops out,
    I'll follow it and then pull the trigger.
    Oh, and I have a CG Unsingle. Works much better for me then my
    BT99 Golden Clays. Have the CG adjusted to 80/20. The BT no matter how
    much I raise the comb is to flat shooting. Have to cover the bird.
    What I did learn from Big Leo is to take my time. It does work with my
    holding a high gun. How high; probably about 2 feet over the house. If I hold
    lower I tend to chase the bird to much.
    I've shot with Dan Bonillas at Newman and he holds parallel to the ground. Both
    on 16's and 27. Maybe even just a tad higher. Can't argue with someone of
    his caliber. It appears he also holds a very tight gun with cheek firmly planted.
    When I emulate that, my scores go up. Big Leo also holds a very tight gun.
    Mike C.

6. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

If you're truly a one eyed shooter, taped off eye, not a peeker, it won't make a difference between top or un-barreled gun as you can't see down past the barrel the same way a two eyed shooter nor do you get the distractions they do. I shoot both top and un-guns with no difference.

Gun holds are subjective, no two people see alike or move their gun the same. You need to hold where you see the target best and make a move up and into the target. I'm a one eyed shooter (taped eye) and get into trouble if I hold higher than the back lip of the trap house and seem to do best holding half way down the rear of the house and sometimes in the dirt. Depending on condidtions, I move my hold points where I see and move to the target best on that trap, this instruction came from Kiner and it works well for me. What works for me may not for anyone else, but I'm only woried about me. The shortest move to the target is with a lower hold, so says Kiner and I believe him

Top shooters, Bonillas, Heller, Kiner, Harlen, LIII and others have refined their holds to what works best for them not you or me. They assume because their hold works so well for them, it should for everyone, I don't think so.

If you actually take time and a pair of binoculars and sit off to the side, say one or two fields over and watch top shooters, you may find on a given day, their holds are way lower than you think. You can learn a lot doing this exercise, Thier pre shot routine, how they approach the target, their feet, how tight they hold the gun more. You can learn more off to the side than watching them from behind.

My opinion, the best money spent is Kiner's video as he's a study when it comes shooters forced to one eye due to cross firing issues. Phil's video will give you good pointers on all aspects of one eyed shooting.

I would listen to most anything Nora has to say, she has the wins that proves her method works.

Surfer

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

"I would listen to most anything Nora has to say, she has the wins that proves her method works."

Surfer

That's proof of the pudding and the lady has won about all there is to win on a trap field!

Chip, you can adapt to a higher hold as a one eye shooter once you learn how to prevent the clay from hiding from the one eye. In theory, the higher rib does allow one to see the targets a tad quicker but it's a minimal amount because of the vertical speed of the target. Nora's method is quicker and easier learned. If you insist on the higher hold, keep the barrel outa your lone eye's way of seeing the target exit the roof line at all stations!

Hap

8. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Member

I have just moved to a new (to me) Joel Etchen Beretta Silver Pigeon II Combo with the Unsingle high rib and the double barrel. I am using the Unsingle now for trap 100%. At first my scores took a dive. This was due primarily (my feeling) that the new Beretta has and requires a head high hold. It has taken me a bit of time to get and practice my gun mount so that I am now consistent with the mount (raise gun to face NOT mount gun and lower face to comb).

As far as initial hold, I am about 1 foot high on stations 2-4 and at the corners and just a bit off on 1 and 5. I am now, after about 2 cases of shells just getting to the point of feeling good about the Unsingle with the adjustable rib. The shots that were killing me were the straight aways and mild quartering shots.

In some respects, it "seemed" to me initially, that I was an observer to the trap game with the new gun vs. actively involved or "into it". This I attribute to the more erect head and eye position with the high rib Unsingle barrel.

I hope this helps you?

9. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

Mike
    Look forward to seeing you in Oakdale. I just returned fro a Nora Ross clinic where she taught me to hold a tight gun. I am a two eyed shooter and she had me holding just high enough over the far edge of the traphouse to see the bird flash out under my barrel. This sped up my move to the bird. She instructed one eyed shooters to hold no higher than the far edge of the house because they can't see the target until it clears their barrel anyway. I don't think Nora sees the purpose of a high gun hold for one eyed shooters because you can lose the target under your barrel.

John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
can you shoot trap high hold on house one eye

nora one eyed trap shooter

trap hols for 1 eye shooter
trap shooting one eye hold point