1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bottle Bombs,,,,what has happened to our youth...

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by bigdogtx, Aug 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Are our children so bored that they need to do $hit like this????

GOOD GRIEF!!! What next? We pick up stuff like this all the time out of our ditch....now we're going to have to be very careful. Please read all of this, then click on the Snopes link and watch the video.....and be sure you tell your kids about this, too!!

Kids are putting Drano, tin foil, and a little water in soda bottles and capping it up - leaving it on lawns. When you go to pick up the trash, and the bottle is shaken just a little - in about 30 seconds or less it builds up a gas and explodes with enough force to remove some of your extremities. The liquid that comes out is boiling hot as well. Don't pick up any plastic bottles that may be lying in your yards or in the gutter, etc. Pay attention to this.

1. A plastic bottle with a cap.
    2. A little Drano.
    3. A little water.
    4. A small piece of foil.
    5. Disturb it by moving it; and BOOM!!

No fingers left and other serious effects to your face, eyes, etc. People are finding these bombs in mailboxes and in their yards, just waiting for you to pick it up intending to put it in the trash. But, you’ll never make it!!! It takes about 30 seconds to blow after you move the thing.

These things are VERY powerful....

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EGmkzxRTuqo&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EGmkzxRTuqo&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

2. jjv1234

jjv1234 Member

These are not new. We used to make these in high school over 15 years ago. The hydrochloric acid of the toilet bowl cleaner reacts with the aluminum foil balls to make gas. The high pressure from gas buildup will blow a plastic bottle apart with ease; you do not need to disturb or shake the bottle as in the video. Reaction times for sufficient pressure to blow the bottle will vary from 2-10 minutes, depending on the amount of solution and temperature, which makes these little "bombs" very unstable and unpredictable. I would doubt that they could remove extremities though the chemical solution that blows out of the bottle is not something I would want anywhere near me, or my family, or my pets, or my lawn for that matter. The best cleaner we found was called "The Works". No one that I knew was hurt or hurt anyone else, though the sale of toilet bowl cleaner was banned from minors in our community back then.

Play with caution, they are dangerous.

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

This should go in the Hints from Heloise section. Nice instructions.

Now, about that spud gun.........
    HM

4. Patrick Haskins

Patrick Haskins Member

Kids learned how to do this from the liberal anti-gun show McGiver. Every time some station airs an episode that shows how to build them, kids all over start getting hurt.

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

We used kitchen match heads. A lot more dangerous than the modern stuff.

If a kid gets hurt doing this it's because he is lacking in cerebral matter.

HM

6. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

It's not hydrochloric acid. It's sodium hydroxide...a strong alkali not an acid. The stuff is very caustic though and splash from the explosion could /would blind/burn you.

7. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

When I was a Paramedic we were dispatched to a call of an possible explosion ... When we got to the scene there was an obviously young man blown all over the garage with the remnants of a Pipe Bomb scattered all over the place ... We had to call the Evidence Techs so they could gather what ever was left, we removed the body which has pieces missing such as an arm, half of his head, and half of the hand from the other arm ... My partner had expressed how bad he felt about this young man and the tragic was his life ended ... I told him better that it blew him up because he was not making it to set in on the mantel of the fireplace ... It was being made as a device to harm someone and Poetic Justice prevailed on this one ... It might sound a little harsh but this kid got what he deserved rather than who ever he was making it for ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

8. Remington STS

Remington STS TS Member

What will they think of next?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.