1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BOSS IS ANTI GUN-UPSET THAT I SHOOT!!!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by senior smoke, Oct 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO:
    a few years ago, i had a female supervisor who married her professor at university of houston. some foreign exchange student from hong kong didn't like his grade, so he went into the class room and shot her husband in the shoulder and he does not have full movement now. couple others were shot, don't recall if anyone was killed. at that time my boss asked me how did my vacation go? told her i attended the waukesha state shoot with my family, it was great. she blew up at me, she said"what kind of parent would take his family with children to a shoot? she said i don't know if i could have someone who uses and likes guns even work for me. i went to her boss, who happened to be a hunter, and he put her in her place. our relationship was never the same. i moved on , have'nt seen her in years. we have a supervisor opening at my new place of employment, guess who just applied for the job, yes, my old boss. the place i work at now i like, but if this woman becomes my boss again, i'm afraid the same old crap will start up. when i tell people i trapshoot, they look at me like i am a criminal. any ideas? one guy said find out if anyone in upper level management is into hunting or the shootinbg sports, tell him what happened. tell him she hates anyone who likes guns of any kind. her husband and her go to magazine shops on weekends, looks for gun magazines, turns them around and hides them so people won't purchase them. i originally offered to take her and her husband to the gun club for lunch so they could see it was a nice safe environment. she refused, stating they would never step foot in a gun club with all those people carrying guns. these people are supposely educated, whats wrong with them? any ideas?
    steve balistreri

2. Mr. Marcy

Mr. Marcy TS Member

Ya just tell them "guns don't kill people husbands that come home early do!" thats comin from a brilliant man - Larry the Cable Guy! hahaa

Mr. Marcy

3. Sam (ATA Noobie)

Sam (ATA Noobie) Member

Why not apply for the position yourself? ;)

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Unreasonable, and hard to deal with. I wouldn't even try. JUst tell her it's a free country because of gun owning citizens and why is she against it?

Then walk away and try not to smack the bitch.

HM

5. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

A few quotes from world famous peacemakers, lecturers, and a firearms trainer.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." -- Sigmund Freud

"Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest." -- Mahatma Gandhi

"Unfortunately, it happens that the need to render the aggressor incapable of causing harm sometimes involves taking his life. In this case, the fatal outcome is attributable to the aggressor whose actions brought it about, even though he may not be morally responsible because of a lack of the use of reason." -- Pope John Paul II, EVANGELIUM VITAE, 1995

"Document everything, watch your P's and Q's, check with a lawyer, and do not be afraid to use civil and labor law to your advantage. If needed, SUE THE WITCH." Shooting Coach, 2007

6. joshif

joshif TS Member

Hey, the ACLU might be YOUR friend on this issue. She thinks its Hoydy Toydy to be anti-gun. If she gives you any crap, get the legal dogs on her ass and put her in her place.Get HER Fired!!!! Her man must be a wimp! If she has a man. Her and Chimmy Chonga should get together.

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

Steve- I would not try to convince the person that guns are fine, you have little chance at success with this approach. She has as much right to dislike guns as you have to like guns. Supervisors, especially in larger companies, will always like some workers more than they like others. Workers under the supervisor are friends with some and do not care to be around others. These friendships frequently do not have much to do with the quality of work that is done by the workers.

Do your required work plus a little extra and enjoy your life. Don't worry about the life of your possible supervisor.

Pat Ireland

8. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

Pat is correct in this. Your supervisor's attitude has deep and personal roots. Her response to you is not a reaction to you but to what you do. Turning it into a challenge to be conquered will only aggravate an already-touchy subject. Snappy replies, witty sayings and sharp comebacks from you are counterproductive and Larry the Cable Guy is NOT a role model for this situation. He is paid to act like a moron; you're paid to be productive. I think you'll encounter less resentment if you keep your personal life off your supervisor's radar.

And tomk2, you said,

<I>"Of course, they need me, so I have some job security, but I also keep a sizable F-U fund just in case I find myself looking for a new job."</I>

Anyone who has even the slightest idea that they are "needed" by a company is delusional and living a fantasy existence. No one, and I mean NO one, is indispensable. Keep building that fund!

Morgan

9. JLW

JLW TS Member

I am afraid there is little you can do and she may retaliate in subtle ways. A supervisor can withold wage increases w/o cause or may say your work is not adequate; which is difficult for anyone to prove false.
    Document any problems you have with her against the day you may have to formally adress the problem.-Jerald

10. lumper

lumper TS Member

Sam ... AMEN ... I was thinking the exact same thing.

Steve after all these years why aint you in that position? If you cant keep your personal life separate from your work life and if she cant keep her work life apart from you personal life than both of you need a sit down talk with the higher ups. Do not speak of anything to do with shooting anything to her or anyone that has a problem with you shooting. Do not let her speak to you of shooting ... keep it all business and do not let private life stuff intertwine and mingle with business.

11. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Invite her to the club when some nice people and some lady shooters are around. Let her see first hand what good clean fun clay target shooting can be.

When a women first watches another female breaking targets with the guys something clicks.

12. lumper

lumper TS Member

This whole topic is wrong ... you cant and never will be able to convince anyone who has had an experience like his old boss and now again his possible new boss that there is anything wrong with shooting. It is a no win and all loss situation and should not be mentioned or brought up.

If Steve brings it up he deserves any and all problems it will create for himself and if his possible new boss brings it up Steve needs to tell her that what he does outside of work is his business and he should kindly mention to her that it is not a proper workplace conversational topic.

Since Steve's new boss is basically a victim herself of a violent gun crime will mean far more to anyone and everyone than what Steve does on his leisure time. It is a no win situation and the topics of guns and shooting should be avoided if she becomes his boss once again.

I'll make ya happy though Jerry ... I'll edit my above posting but I will not delete it.

13. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Steve:

I'd be careful of spreading information about this woman to anyone unless you are directly asked to comment on her fitness to do her job and if you had any past working relationship. Now the idea to find upper mgmt to shoot with etc... is still a fine idea, but character assasination (even when supported by fact) can have legal implications for you.

Once approach I have found successful in finding shooting folks ('cause shooting folks don't always admit to be shooting folks!) is to ask if someone if they hunt or fish (fish is the key in asking, it softens the approach).

I found 8 customers of mine who shoot, just by asking the above question and over the years even the non-participants sometimes ask did I go hunting, shooting etc...

Put a good face forward as an ambassador of our sports! You'll find some support at your place of work.

Capt' Morgan...

tomk2 wasn't being delusional, his occupation is one that is in high demand in our area, regardless of his shooting ability! (lol)

Jay Spitz

14. Inspector 12

Inspector 12 TS Member

I always marvel at those who would attempt to convert the anti's to our passion. They are just as passionate in their beliefs so why waste the effort.

My brother has a quote for situations like this. He figures never argue with an idiot, they just pull you down to their level and beat you with experience. Though this woman is apparently educated, her life experience has determined her stance. Since it is an emotional subject for her, she is probably firm in her stance. Let it go.

Seems odd to quote lumper, but at work, I seldom talk guns unless I know the person well enough to know I won't have any back lash due to the topic.

Good luck man.

15. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Tell her to go suck an egg and find another job!

16. lumper

lumper TS Member

Hipshot3,

As Jerry B. told me above I will tell you almost the same. Your post is wrong and not funny. Please delete or edit it.

17. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

If you think you might lose your job over this consider the following

Theone thing you might do is make a memorandum -- have a lawyer help you draft it- and keep it for record or give it to your HR section before she arrivees.

Take your lawyers advice on this, but dont concentrate on the firearm issue, only that you feel she has it out for you.

regards

Gene

18. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

You should be ready to act if there is a problem. If there is a situation where you are harassed or treated unfairly you will need to be able to deal with the situation.

Do nothing, say nothing, but be prepared. In case of a problem try to get her to go on record with your shooting being part of her action.

Pat Ireland is correct. It is possible that time may have reduced her fear/hatred.

Unfortunately The incident in Crandon will just give her fuel for the fire.

Lay low, but be prepared.

HM

19. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

27-M12 - Do not count on the ACLU for anything to do with personal freedoms concerning guns. Their policy, and always has been, is that gun ownership is not an individual right. They only recognize a group, or militia right to keep and bear arms. Their definition of militia is the National Guard. That's why they have never filed a law suit or amicus brief on behalf of the NRA, or any other citizen.

It's odd how they recognize the first ten amendments as applying to the individual, with the exception of of the Second.

Best,
    Dennis

20. lumper

lumper TS Member

This is really turning into a comical topic ... I thank you all for the chuckles it is beginning to give me.

Get a lawyer now ... draft a memorandum ... get her to go on record ... find upper management to shoot with ... invite her to the club ... and the most roll of the floor and uncontrolably laughing comment of all ... the ACLU might be your friend on this issue.

Some really comical stuff in this thread ... some really comical stuff. And to think that all that has happened so far is she has submitted an application for the job. Personally I think it is quite funny to begin to worry now at this point when all she has done is applied for the position which brings me to another question.

Stevie ... if all she did was apply for the position and not even yet to be hired why did you title this topic of discussion as to sound that your current boss right now is anti-gun and is upset right now that you shoot or is your current boss right now upset that you shoot and your current boss really is anti-gun?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.