1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Boss 302 Mustang

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Bisi, Dec 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

When I was a kid in high school, the car I wanted most was a yellow Boss 302 Mustang. As a Ford man I didn't want the 428 Cobra Jet, I wanted the Boss 302.

Well, some 40 years later they are remaking the Boss 302. I stopped by a Ford dealer in Naptown and saw one. It was a red one, but it still made my mouth water.

Not so funny, but why is it the stuff we want is stuff we can't have? I can no more afford a Boss 302 today (45K)than I could when I was a kid bussing tables in high school. It's always something. I feel like I'm back in high school. 5 years ago I could afford anything I wanted, but I didn't want anything back then. Now, well hell I want almost everything, and can't have any of it.

That Boss 302 sure is pretty, don't know how I'm going to live without it. Driving that I bet a guy could have almost any girl in ..............

Funny, how things always come back around to where they were.

Salesman says this thing turns out 440hp and will run the quarter in the mid 12s. Just what a guy in his late 50s needs, just like in high school.

What did Yogi Berra say - it's deja vu all over again?

2. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

I share your dream, sir!

Although for me, it was a green '68 383 Roadrunner that kept me awake at night.

3. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

kiv, was that the 383 with the 6 pack on it? LOL

4. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

Nope, just one big-a$$ 4-barrel!

5. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

Somebody said the secret to life is being happy with what you have.

Not sure he ever saw one of those new Boss 302 Mustangs. LOL

6. Ithaca$$$Grade

Ithaca$$$Grade Active Member

Boys, here is a picture of mine. Bought it new just after I graduated from high school. I ordered it for local street racing, 4:30 Detroit Locker/Drag Pack, Deluxe interior, close ratio 4 speed, fold down rear seat, oh yeah, rear slats. Was able to "tune" it so it was competitive against just about everything with a bigger engine. Held the record in my class at two local drag strips. Sold it about 10 years ago. Had 16,000 actual miles on it. Still had original paint, exhaust and tires. The new ones would kick its butt.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v662/jimw-mn/?action=view&current=Boss302.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Jim W

7. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Geez JW, that was a sharp car!

8. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Jim,

I've never been a Ford guy and frankly never liked the Mustang but i must admit that is one sharp looking car. I wouldn't be embarassed in the least bit if i were caught driving that. Very nice car. I'm sure it was tough to sell it when you did.

9. flabigpapa

flabigpapa Well-Known Member

Tough to Sell...I Think Not...Impossible to Deliver to New Owner...Yes. Fabulous car...As they say, What's Old is New Again. Shoot well..Shoot Often, Bart

10. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

My dealer has this 2 year old Mustang with 780 miles on it for $69,980 also has 2 Boss's and I think their going for about 47k.
    [​IMG]

11. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

"Tough to sell" as in he hated to get rid of it. I'm sure it had plenty of interest and sold quite quickly.

12. ken1okie

ken1okie Active Member

Although I have a C6 "Vette" I love the new Mustangs...and they are quick!!!
    I know first hand having raced several at the local strip. My choice would be the new Leguna Seca version. I'll say one thing, Ford has got there engine packages together....just bought a new 6.7 Superduty and the thing is super smooth and pulls like a freight train!!!!

13. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The reason they are making great cars like this is because there are a whole lot of us 50 something year olds that dreamed of owning one back in the day. Gotta admit I'm tempted too bad I can't quite get the 'need' factor to stick...

Supposedly the new BOSS 302 has it all over the original and that was a nasty car!

14. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

The boss 302 is a great car, and really quick. But this one is quicker...by a bunch. But of course, it's not a Mustang...

Thanks Carrol, you design great cars!
    [​IMG]

15. rjstubbl

rjstubbl Member

If that is a stock (No supercharger)GT-H, there is no way its faster than the new Boss or standard GT. I had a Shelby GT and it was fast, but it was not capable of running mid 12's. Low 13's maybe. They only have about 325 horse vs. the 440 the new boss is putting out.

Mine was the new one in the back.

[​IMG]

16. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

This one is the 500HP...way quicker than the 302 I used to own.

17. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

Kevin!
    I never knew...... :O

Very cool.

Larry

18. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Boss 302? Dealers have short supply. Is not the regular new 5.0 GT good enough? I mean I know that the Boss has a bit more power, beautiful cnc massaged heads, some stronger engine internals, etc., but in the real world, would there be a felt difference if car used as a daily driver? And do you really like what some would consider the "silly boy racer graphics" on the Boss 302?

Or...if you are planning on running the Silver State in Nevada, yes 302 Boss is better. My "bucket list" car now would be a GT with Brembo brakes and that's it...maybe in that classic Ford electric blue or, to be stealthy, in white. No grahics, as little bling as possible.

And...since I bring up this question, one could argue that "I don't get it and never will..."

I do hope you find a Boss and are able to afford one...

David

19. rjstubbl

rjstubbl Member

Ok that makes a lot more sense. I would love to have that car. Especially since its the Purdue Boilermaker colors.

20. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

The Enterprise Car Sales office where I work part-time has a black 2008 Shelby GT500 convertible with 1,300 miles on it in the showroom. I didn't bother to read the price label but I'm told the number is $40,000.

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.