1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Born between 1930 and 1955. For the older folk.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Barrelbulge(Fl), Jun 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Those of You Born between 1930 - 1955

At the end of this is a quote of the month by Jay Leno.. If you don't read anything else, Please Read what he Said. Very well stated, Mr. Leno.

TO ALL THE KIDS WHO SURVIVED THE

1930's, 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's!!

First, we survived being born to mothers Who smoked and/or drank while they were Pregnant.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing,Tuna from a can and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, we were put to sleep on our tummies in baby cribs covered with bright colored lead-base paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles,Locks on doors or cabinets and when we rode Our bikes, we had baseball caps not helmets on our heads.

As infants & children, We would ride in cars with no car seats, No booster seats, no seat belts, no air bags, bald tires and sometimes no brakes.

Riding in the back of a pick-up truck on a warm day Was always a special treat.

We drank water From the garden hose and not from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends,From one bottle and no one actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread, real butter and bacon. We drank Kool-Aid made with real white sugar.And, we weren't overweight. WHY? Because we were
    Always outside playing...that's why!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day,As long as we were back when the Streetlights came on.

No one was able To reach us all day.. And, we were O..K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps And then ride them down the hill, only to find out We forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem. We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's and X-boxes.There were no video games, no 150 channels on cable,No video movies or DVD's, no surround-sound or CD's,
    No cell phones, No personal computers, no Internet and no chat rooms.
    WE HAD FRIENDS And we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth And there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt,And the worms did not live in us
    Forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays,Made up games with sticks and tennis balls and, Although we were told it would happen,We did not put out very many eyes..

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and Knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just Walked in and talked to them.

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team.Those who didn't had to learn to deal With disappointment.Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law Was unheard of.
    They actually sided with the law!

These generations have produced some of the best Risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever.

The past 50 years Have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.
    We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all.

If YOU are one of them? CONGRATULATIONS!
    You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated so much of our lives
    for our own good. While you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave and lucky their parents were.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it ?

The quote of the month is by Jay Leno:
    "With hurricanes, tornados, fires out of control,mud slides, flooding, severe thunderstorms tearing up the country from one end to another,and with the threat of swine flu and terrorist attacks. Are we sure this is a good time
    to take God out of the Pledge of Allegiance?'

2. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

3. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

I do remember all that, although I'm from the end of that era. It's so true.

BTW, Jay Leno is 10 times better than that D.L. pig.

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Hey, I was born in 1959 and almost all of that applied to me.

And... David Letterman is an ahole.

5. WS-1

WS-1 Banned User Banned

Stole a quarter from Mom's purse, rode my bike to the filling station, bought a pack of cigarettes, went to the market, stole a 6-pack of Pabst Blue Ribbon, rode to the beach, smoked the cigs, drank the beer, got sick, went home, got caught...Sunday morning, I had to sit on the front row all by myself, Preacher pointed his finger at me, Mom said it was 92 degrees in the Sanctuary, went home and it was never mentioned again.

Kit

6. ljutic231

ljutic231 TS Member

Born in 1932 and when I was 8 I could going hunting near our house in wellman, tx the rules was if any other guys came out to go with me , I had to go back to the house , sometimes that was had for me because I still had 5 22 shorts for the single shot winchester. and that saved some Jack rabbits.

7. REM3

REM3 Member

I think this has to be one of the best post i have read here on trapshooters. I remember building my first go cart and then running in to the telephone pole.

8. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

Wow!

This needs to be on the front page of the New York Times. And distributed to every congressman and senator, a lot of whom are in the relevant age group.

Ted K.

9. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

1941 Grand, attended with my dad when I was 11. Took a roll of 20 silver dollars, common in the West, and spent them in Dayton and Vandalia to the confusion of all the folks who took them as pay for their goods.

10. Fritzboy

Fritzboy TS Member

Built a raft every summer and damn if they always sunk. It was a pallet with plywood sides and tape on the joints. Looked nice,sank anyway.

11. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I remember building skatecarts. A piece of 2x4 running length wise, an orange crate for the front and one skate taken apart i/2 in front and 1/2 in the back and we would ride them like scooters. Hope some of you can visualize them from my description. Bulge.

12. Shipbuilder

Shipbuilder TS Member

1943 vintage: Our summers were around the bay with row boats until we got paper routes and earned enought money for a cranky old Elgin outboard. Then we could get far enough off shore to swim off the duck blinds. No life jackets or boat operators license and you had to have your typhoid shot up to date because the harbor was somewhat polluted.

No one died and that particular group of friends has turned out pretty successful.

Jim

13. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

1942- worked on the farm during my summers for $10 week from 3:00 am until 10:00 pm. Walked 10 miles to school & did not worry about child molesters. Did a lot of things kids cannot do now ( because it is unsafe) Too many restrictions on us now. Govt needs to back off. Kids today need to work!

14. tachyon

tachyon Member

Still have the scars from my first go-cart. Brakes, we don't need no stinkin brakes.

barrelbulge, I remember the skate carts/scooters. My sister is still mad at me for making one out of her skates.

15. DENNISMASTROLIA1

DENNISMASTROLIA1 Active Member

BarrelBulge--I did that also--mant times. They woeked great. Dennis

16. Mr. D

Mr. D Member

Speaking of first go-carts:

At the age of 9 (1967) I built my first go-cart using a wooden door as the frame, 3hp lawn mower motor, 2x4 and rope for steering and fishing line for the throttle. I remenber the engine getting hung wide open and turning the steering to far one way and the whole thing fliped over and gave me one hell of a road rash on my arms.

How did we ever make it.

17. WS-1

WS-1 Banned User Banned

Hey Shipbuilder,

Me and my cousin would take our skiff out, hang off the gunwales, and clam with our toes. When her bottom was full, we'd go back in, basket up the clams and take them down to one of the old seafood houses and sell them. We would then buy chocolate milkshakes and doughnuts at the Do-nut Dinette and eat and drink until we were green in the gills. My Aunt Betty said we spent money like drunken sailors.

Kit

18. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

When I was 10..during the summer I worked with my Grandmother in Far Rockaway New York.. I got up at 2.30am.. walked 14 blocks to the resturant.(Surf Snack.. on 116th street)..and cleaned the tables,floors,pots and pans.. made donuts..and helped get the store ready for the 6 am?? train..

Well.. here I am some 46 years later..At the GRAND I get up at 3am..Am usually on the workbench by 5 am.. and go home between 6.30pm to 7.30. unless we have a bunch to work on.. Life is getting easier..

All joking aside..I'm glad I made memories with my slingshot..my trusty Sheridan pump air rifle..my firecracker powered cannon..my Estes rockets.. the few duck and deer hunts I went on.. It all seems so far away.. Except for the many friends I have here.. and a few on the outside..its a lonely,tough world we live in today..

My heart goes out to all of those who are unemployed who
    WANT to work..and would gladly work a 70 hour work week to bring home a decent paycheck.. I fear the upcomming generation will have a shortage of good memories to carry them thru hard times.. Some deserve their fate.. others do not..

Enjoy your friends.. and your moments of good times.. I think they are getting fewer and fewer as we get older.. Maybe its just me..

All Good.. Mike

19. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Here's one you never forget.

Pulling tthe trigger on your Daisy Red Ryder with the handle open.

These days they have a safety on the damn thing so you can't do that. In so doing, the manufacturers have deprived young males of one of the most valuable safety lessons ever. (don't mess with something if you're not sure of the results)

Now they will have to learn the hard way, and probably with more devastating results.

HM

20. warren

warren Member

I attended the Grand American in 1950 and saw people like Arnold Riegger and Joe Devers shoot with Model 12 pumps and never miss the whole shoot.

warren

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.