1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Boring out sizing dies Ponsness 900?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by himark, Nov 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. himark

himark Well-Known Member

Seems to be very difficult to resize...heck even to eject shell! I was thinking of boring them .002" Opinions?

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Sounds like you are loading steel head shells. Instead of boring the sizer try cleaning it well and polishing it with a 3/8" dowel wrapped with ooo steel wool driven by a cordless drill. Then try using a bit of lanolin sizing lube on 1 out of 10 hulls for a few hundred rounds. If none of the above works out you might want to stick with loading STS or similar premium shells.

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Try using a little wax on the inside of the die and on the metal part of the hull. HMB

4. 3dram8

3dram8 Member

Before you do that, I would recommend wrapping a brush with some OOOO steel wool soaked with some oil. If you have a short length of cleaning rod, just screw in the brush/steel wool & chuck it up into a variable speed drill and polish away. If you have some padded vise jaws to protect the dies, this job will be very easy to do. I do this periodically with my 800+ dies, and it really helps - especially if you resize a lot of steel-headed ammo like Top Guns and Gun Clubs. Metal fouling builds up on the sizing portion of the dies just like copper does in your rifle barrel. Many high-grade guns have "minimum" chambers that need either factory loads or those that are FULLY sized to factory specs. If you open the dies' sizing diameter, you make get stuck cases in your chamber. Try the oil-soaked steel wool first, and I'll bet your problem will go away like it did for me. ....Rick

5. TLEE

TLEE TS Member

MEC Supersizer solved my problem

6. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

The P/W shell holders are heat treated. You will not be able to bore them on a lathe.

My solution is the size the brass with a MEC collet sizer prior to loading the hulls on my Ponsness/Warren. I resize and deprime all my hulls on a MEC Sizemaster before loading them on the P/W. De-priming them before they get to the P/W makes its operation much smoother.

Jim Skeel

7. dverna

dverna Active Member

Once the dies are cleaned, use Imperial sizing wax on the dies. A light smear every 500-1000 rounds seems to help.

Don Verna

8. olddrum1

olddrum1 TS Member

Went through this a number of years ago with Federal 410 Gold Medal hulls. I thought all GM hulls were brass. Turned out after contacting Federal that I was incorrect in thinking this. They had made a batch with steel hulls which do not compress the same as brass. Called PW and was told that if I returned the dies I could have them turned which would run over $50 a die. I was stuck with ten flats of steel hull 410.

9. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

I spray the inside of my dies with dry lube and let it get good and dry before loading, when they start sticking again I relube but you must wait for it to compeletly dry. Hornaday one shot works well too the same way.

10. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Makes a good argument for just using a MEC to begin with....LOL at having to use a MEC sizer prior to loading with a P/W.

11. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Running hulls through a MEC Super-Sizer prior to loading them on your PW is a good idea-especially those steel headed cases. Helps prevent the flexing noted on PW grivory heads during sizing and allows more consistent primer seating!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.