1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Boring out MEC Charge Bars

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jollytrapshooter, Jun 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

I've been playing with this idea for a while now and am curious if anyone has any interest in it. The idea is to take your bar and bore the shot side out to 1 inch to accept any of the Hornady/PW shot bushings. Basically, you send a charge bar, we bore it, and send it back to you and could even throw in a bushing. Any interest? If so, feel free to email or PM me. Thanks, Josh.

2. skeet100

skeet100 Member

yes

can you bore it out to take mec bushings?

Is this a possibility?

3. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

Does MEC have shot bushings? I wasn't aware of that. But yes, we can bore anything you want. Happy to help anyway we can. Thanks, Josh.

4. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

You may have trouble fitting a 1" bushing into a 1" bar (the one I grabbed at random just now actually measured .999"). You'd need to turn the shot bushing down to prob 7/8", then bore the bar to fit that OD New bars are $18.40 from MEC, new hornady bushings are $5/ea from gamaliel, so you'd have to charge $13.40 or less to bore the bar, including shipping both ways to make it worthwhile for the customer as opposed to just buying another bar,,,,not much room for profit, esp having to turn all the bushings down and bore the bars.

5. matttrapn

matttrapn Active Member

How's about if you bore the shot side of the bar out to accept 1-1/2 oz., of 7-shot????? That just might give me an advantage on those ATA cap targets...

JUST KIDDIN''''

Matt Nicol
    (I do need all the help I can get however).

6. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

Aaah yes, forgot that those bars are 1 inch...So maybe some other type of bushing, or one that we make. As far as the cost, my logic was that it would be cheaper to have 1 bar that has 3 or 4 shot bushing with 20 powder bushings than 3 or 4 bars (at $18.40 a piece) and the 20 powder bushings. Say we charge $35 (including shipping) to bore a bar and give you 3 shot bushings of your choice. Then you could look at the other way, 3 bars at a cost of $18.40 each = $55.20. Josh

7. Go Fish

Go Fish Member

Have PW 800B and two MECs so I bored my MEC bars out to fit PW bushings. Had no trouble boring them out or when I use them.

8. claybuster38

claybuster38 Member

I made up a special boreing bar jig to make bushing bars out of the older fixed bars It works fine Marv White

9. birddog1964

birddog1964 TS Member

Hey Guy,

the universal charge bar co make a bar called a shuttle bar and you use your
    power bushings on the one side and on the other side it will adjust from a 1/2" to
    2 1/4" shot loads and you can load lead or steel with it. Here is a pic of the bar
    and the web add to order from.

www.multiscalecharge.com

thanks
    lee

10. Smithy47

Smithy47 Member

I also thought this would be a good thing to do to old MEC charge bars. I did one for my 410 to adjust how much shot to drop and have the case fill up and crimp correctly and it worked out very well. I have one bushing for STS and one for Win AA. I also needed a 1 oz shot bar for my 12 ga so I bored out another old bar and bushing to work. 1 oz of shot is about the max you can go with a MEC bushing. I have done this work for several other shooter friends and they like the arrangement also. I have also bored out many of the old, fixed power bars to take the bushing. I am retired and have a maching shop so I have the time and equipment to play around with it. I do not see making much money in doing this work as you could buy new bars for what is would cost labor and shipping. My 2 cents worth. Bob

11. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

The cost savings is when you buy up old bars 20 and 30 at a time.. Convert them all at one time.. and then sell them with 5 custom shot bushings at $25.00 a bar.. plus $6.00 shipping.. Then.. you'd end up making maybe $8.00 a bar after investing a few hundred in parts.. a few thousand in equipment..and selling the time of you and your equipment for $10.00 a hour??? maybe.. It's a project you do for friends... or you do to a Star charge bar because they are hard to find.. and expensive.. But make money??? NOT.... All Good.. Mike

12. Bridger

Bridger Member

A local gunsmith did this for me probably 20 years ago. Bored out the shot hole to accept a Mec bushing. I weighed out different bushings until I had loads from 7/8 to 1 1/8 figured out. Forget exactly what they were but it worked. Foolishly gave the whole set up including the loader to a guy I was trying to get started shooting. He never did and of course I never got any of it back.

13. skeet100

skeet100 Member

I also thought this would be a good thing to do to old MEC charge bars. I did one for my 410 to adjust how much shot to drop and have the case fill up and crimp correctly and it worked out very well. I have one bushing for STS and one for Win AA. I also needed a 1 oz shot bar for my 12 ga so I bored out another old bar and bushing to work. 1 oz of shot is about the max you can go with a MEC bushing. I have done this work for several other shooter friends and they like the arrangement also. I have also bored out many of the old, fixed power bars to take the bushing. I am retired and have a maching shop so I have the time and equipment to play around with it. I do not see making much money in doing this work as you could buy new bars for what is would cost labor and shipping. My 2 cents worth. Bob

This is what I was thinking and had heard about years ago.
    Mec bars with Mec bushings in each side to get shot and powder correct without having to file them out.

14. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

New charge bars are only $12.99 (New, smash link above) and bushings are only $3 each. It would be fun to do, but I question if it will be a real money maker. IMHO Omaha

15. johnpe

johnpe Member

Many years ago I bored one each of the MEC 600 Jr. and 650 bars to accept Lyman powder and shot bushings and used them that way for a long time after MEC finally started making powder bushings. Then I bored out one each the MEC bars that took powder bushings to accept the Lyman shot bushings. Over the years I've collected enough MEC bars that I seldom use the Lyman bushings any more, but I still have them and the bored out bars available. They work perfectly.

Johnpe

16. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

I have a bored out mec bar and it has both texan shot and pacific powder bushings that have been bored out for shot.They mic .870 od.I no
    longer use them so it took me a couple of days to find them.Hope this helps.
    tracy

17. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

This is a boring thread.

18. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

Hmm, oh well, a bad idea is a bad idea. On to the next one I guess. Have any ideas, feel free to get a hold of me. Thanks for all of the input, Josh.

19. birddog1964

birddog1964 TS Member

I have several of the older MEC fixed bars that I would sell if anybody interested in them, just email or PM me.

thanks
    lee

20. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Question on the picture of the Multistage bar, my powder bushings go on the left sidei is the picture reversed? Shot is on the Right Side.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

enlarging shot drop charge bar

longshot mec bushing drop charge