1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bore snakes

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by toad67, May 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. toad67

toad67 Member

Mar 14, 2010
    I know I am probably behind the times but I finally purchased a bore snake. For those of you who use them do you put cleaner and oil on them, one or the other or none at all? Just trying to figure out the best way to use it. Thanks.

2. 87AA

87AA TS Member

Jan 10, 2009

I usually spray down my barrels, let them soak for a few minutes, then use the bore snake. No product on the snake except for what it picks up going through the barrels.
  3. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Sep 15, 2008
    I don't put anything on them. They are more for a quick swab not anything deep so I keep em dry to be portable and not smell.
  4. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Todd, I have a bore snake for every gauge and caliber that I own. I use them for a quick cleaning after shooting or hunting and periodically use Hoppes #9 and a bronze scrub brush on the bores. I grew to really like them.
  5. bn12gg

bn12gg TS Member

Apr 13, 2010
    With each of my 12g guns, after use, I shoot just a little bit of
    Rem Oil on the end of the bore snake. Drag it thru twice. The little
    bit of oil left in the chamber I use to swab the chamber clean with
    a Q tip on most occasions. The bore and chamber are clean. You put
    more oil etc in the gun than needed it will get to your wood. There
    is no cleaner bore than one that is bright- why go off the deep end.

.02 David
  6. dhip

dhip Active Member

Nov 14, 2009
    Love my snakes.Bought 3 just for my 12 gauge. Spray gun scrubber in barrel first.Let it set a little,pull snake number 1 through.,,Spray rem oil in barrel,let set a little,run snake number 2 through. Finally spray Gunzilla in barrel,run snake number 3 through.,,OH,did I mention,Ilove my snakes.

Doug H.
  7. SilverShooter

SilverShooter TS Member

Jan 21, 2009
    I have two that I use on all my 12GA SGs -- one with a fair amount of solvent (Hoppes before the bristles, none after), and the second with a fair amount oil before the bristles, none after.

I run the solvernt snake, then the other. I keep them in separate large self sealing plastic bags with the weight out of the bag so it goes right into the barrels.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.