1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bore Snakes

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Spanky, Mar 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Just passing this on. Weather shut me in yesterday and I took that time to clean and PM all my 20 gauge autoloaders and I used one of these Hoppes Bore Snakes for the first time and it worked great. 1 to 2 pulls and they were spotless. First time I've used one and now I'm kicking myself in the a$$ for not using/having one in 12 gauge long ago. I'll have a 12 ga. snake in my shooting bag by weeks end.

I know it's kind of a corny post but I was impressed enough and thought I pass it on that it worked way better than I ever expected.

2. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

They work OK, but they will NOT fully clean out built up plastic in your choke tubes! IMO, YRMV....

3. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I realize that about choke tubes but for a quick easy clean with one pull it appears to be the ticket. The thing doesn't claim to be a choke tube cleaning tool. The snake is 98% nylon can't see it doing too much on a plastic loaded ct.

4. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Spanky...

Thanks for the product review! Just as you mention about yourself, it would not surprise you that many folks learn about all sorts of interesting accessories through this site... so again thanks.

BTW, say hey to Alfalfa and Darla for us... (corny back at ya!)

regards,

Jay

5. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I use Downrange wads, so I have no plastic fouling issues.

Boresnakes do a fine job of removing the little bit of powder residue in the barrel. I also spray a little oil on mine to lube the barrels.

ss

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

They work really well on my 17 HMR and 204 ruger rifles

7. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

The bores may LOOK clean but run a swab and solvent through them and you'll find there is a lot of stuff they don't get out. They are OK for a cleaning between events but they're no substitute for a rod and solvent.

MK

8. TrapCrazy

TrapCrazy TS Member

I agree, My boresnake is almost black. I run it through after each shoot. about once every two weeks I run a patch or two of solvent and it does leave stuff behind.

9. SilverShooter

SilverShooter TS Member

I have two...one with lots of solvent in it, and the second with plenty of oil. They are messey so I keep each one separately in a large zip lock bag.

Every 3 or 4 hundred shots, I run the one with solvent from the muzzel to the monobloc, and then one with oil vice versa.

10. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I use a brass wire brush on a elect drill---two runs and plastic is history---
    5 min.and job is done---I guess the snake is ok but I am sure the brush is better

11. letts

letts TS Member

don't forget to run them through the washing machine along with your dirty pants to clean them up on a regular basis.

Letts

12. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

It's not that difficult to understand by looking at one or having it in your hand that it's not ment for choke tubes. Your 12/20 gauge mop attached to your cleaning rod doesn't scrub your choke tubes does it? Snake makes for an easy clean at the club, before fleecing your gun up or easy after a shoot clean up. Choke tube clean up is easy when you use the right stuff also.

13. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

Been using Boresnakes for years on my trap guns. I clean them at the range after shooting. Work great.

bluedsteel

14. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I use the boresnake at the end of the day at the range. I still do a thorough cleaning every so often with a drill and a brass brush wrapped in a shredded SS kitchen scrubber.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.