1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bore Snakes... Why Do They Exist?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by GW22, Apr 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I've been around guns my entire life but somehow the purpose of a bore snake eludes me. So you get done shooting and you run the bore snake down your barrel. Now you have a slightly less dirty barrel and a really filthy rope. What now? I mean, it doesn't clean like a brush and it doesn't apply solvent or oil like a mop or patch, right? So what good is it? Lots of people buy them so there must be a reason. Please enlighten me.

Thanks,

Gary

2. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

nasty things

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Actually Gary, the Bore Snake does have a brush and if you spray some lube on the tail end of the Bore Snake it will leave a thin layer of oil in the barrel. I think they actually work pretty good for what they are. I like it between events. Of course there is no reason one needs to clean their barrel between events. It's that obsessive compulsive thing again.

4. GW22

GW22 Active Member

OK, but is has to get filthy pretty quickly and who wants to keep using it at that point, or deal with trying to clean it? Also, do you put that cruddy thing in your range bag or do you put it in a Zip-Lock bag or what?

-Gary

5. grntitan

I have one in my truck that stays there along with......well I'm sort of a hoarder.

I keep it in an old W/W cloth shot bag. Yeah it gets filthy. I clean it in my garage sink with laundry soap and hang dry it in the sun. After a few washes, I pitch and buy another.

6. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Let me sarcastically ask...

How is this different than a "Butt Snake"? I mean, you wouldn't wipe your keyster with a rope and then carry it around with you and use it again later. So why redistrubute filth back into your trap gun?

-Gary

7. grntitan

Hey, that gives me an idea.

8. gasman43

gasman43 Member

Actually they are very easy to clean. I put the snake in a old sock and throw it in the washing machine along with the towels that I use to wash and dry the car. When the wash cycle is done, the snake comes out clean and it doesn't effect the washing machine or upset my wife.

9. YOTESLAYER

YOTESLAYER Member

Why is there a democratic nominee on a ballot? People have different needs..... I personally like them, and I don't mean the democrats.

10. WS-1

WS-1 Banned User Banned

Things that make you go, "Hmmmmmm?"

11. dale1957

dale1957 Member

It works very well for skeet shooters that shoot 12ga in 12ga events. Spray brake cleaner down barrels, wait a couple mins, push a paper towel down the barrels, spray G-36 down barrels and on the tail end of boresnake, pull it thru and it is clean enough to install ur 20ga tubes. Really works good. I shoot 1 gun, and it saves me time.

12. bossbasl

bossbasl Well-Known Member

There is a reason all properly equipped London guns are mated to an oak and leather case with 2 or 3 piece rosewood rod, bore brush and jag, oil bottle, snap caps, chamber brush, and gun flannel. A bore snake in a plastic bag just wouldn't be right.

13. pumpernck

pumpernck Member

Have both rods and snakes. Use both, depending on the situation. Must confess, I like to fully clean the guns when I get home with my rods and brushes.

14. EEB

EEB Member

They exist because a demand was created for them.

15. dhip

dhip Active Member

I've been shooting roughly 4yrs.Have the same Snakes.Yes Snakes,I use three of them each cleaning.First one with a bore cleaner,Second one with Rem oil,Third one with Gunzilla.NEVER seen any of them deposit residue in barrel,even the first one which is in need of washing now,but you can tell the difference from 1,2,or 3.Three is more oil soaked than anything,1 gets just about all the dirt,even now.2 is oily but shows slight tinges of dirt or discoloration.So far,the Snakes work great.Do need to find out best way to wash though,definetly might try some of what's been mentioned here.

Doug H.(pa)

16. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

'bout the only thing that seems good about them is that you're cleaning the bore in the right direction - breech to muzzle. This is likely a plus for semi-auto.

I have couple of them hanging on the wall of my gun room. They've been there for 7 years.

Bob Falfa

17. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I am with you Gary. I have three laying around here. Used it once and that was enough for me. I like to use a bore brush on a rod, wrap it in paper towel, stick it in the breech end a ways and pour shooters choice in, give it about 10 or 15 pulls and put it away. Cleanup is easy, unwrap the towel and pitch it.

18. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Maybe to keep bore-rodents under control

19. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Hmmm, nothing real convincing. I guess I'll stay Old-School.

-Gary

20. 1perazzi

1perazzi Member

Love them!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

does the bore snake really work