1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bore Snake

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Mr Earl, Sep 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr Earl

Mr Earl Member

I have been using a bore snake to clean my BT99 and it seems to be doing a good job, keeps the barrel spotless. I read a lot about gun cleaning however no one has mentioned using a bore snake. I keep a small amount of Clenzoil on the snake to keep the barrel in good condition. Please tell me if this method is satisfactory. Respectfully, Mr Earl

WOW! I appreciate all the info everyone has sent regarding cleaning. Many of my friends at the club I shoot at thank you too. Now the next question regards grease and lubricant for the other parts. Any suggestions? Thanks again for all the feedback!!!!! Mr Earl

2. zeroed4x

zeroed4x TS Member

Bore snakes work very well as far as the club members at my club have shown me and attested to but, its not going to clean your barrel as well as bore cleaner and a new brush will. Carbon and wad residue will eventually build up without regular scrubbing. Bore Snakes I believe are good products but not meant to be replacements for your normal cleaning regime. Even if I owned one I'd still be cleaning the old fashioned way. That is why I haven't bought one.

3. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

This has to be no less than the fourth time I've submitted an article about something and within days, a thread about it pops up on here. I just sent my December column about gun cleaning in to Shotgun Sports Magazine and in it, I mention that I use a Bore Snake.

They're great and here's all I use for cleaning and lubricating my shotguns, aside from hinge grease.

[​IMG]

Ed

4. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Of course it is.

Eric

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I use it between events and at the end of a shoot before loading it up for home. I do a final cleaning with conventional rod and brushes, solevents, oils, etc. when i get home. I think they work great when the gun is still hot. Makes quick work of final cleaning at home. I don't think it should ever take the place of a true cleaning though.---Matt

6. chipking

chipking TS Member

I keep a Bore Snake and Rig Rag in my vehicle. The last thing I do before leaving a shoot is pull the snake with CLP through a couple of times (an expensive lesson learned from leaving the chamber of a Ljutic uncleaned 2 days in the summer with e3 residue)and then give the gun a good wipedown all over. The next day unless I am shooting again I give a thorough cleaning all over with a rod and brush and patches. I use that time to do a detailed cleaning and lube of the choke tubes and action to catch the things that the quick clean with the Snake missed.

--- Chip King ---

7. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

I use a bore snake every time I shoot, but it's not a substitute for a full cleaning with patches and solvent, which I do about once a month.

If you think cleaning with a bore snake is just as good as a regular patches and solvent cleaning, try running a bore snake through your gun a couple of times and then put a patch through that has solvent on it. The patch will come out black.

Ted K.

8. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Chip mentioned wiping down with Rig. I highly reccommend it. It will protect your blueing from rsut for years

9. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I use Bore Snakes, but go about it a little differently than most (a look at Ed's picture tells me he does a similar drill).

1) Take down gun. Spray barrel with brake clean.

2) Wipe down the action and wood.

3) Pull 10ga Bore Snake through a time or two (this one has a bit of brake clean soaked into it). Warning here, don't try to pull 10ga Bore Snake through standard size barrels.

4) Let the brake clean evaporate and pull a 12ga Snake through that is soaked with your favorite barrel oil.

I do clean the chamber and choke tubes (if gun has tubes) with a chamber brush every once in a while if it shows traces of plastic residue. I don't get much of that from DownRange wads though.

ss

10. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Is brake clean safe on blueing?

11. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

Bore snake and Clenzoil, one pull down the barrel at the end of the day and a thorough cleaning once or twice a season. Works for me.

12. grntitan

Has anybody tried the new "Viper Bore Snake" from Hoppes?? It advertises it has 50% more scouring power, a cone shaped bore guide for quicker, easier alignment and a dedicated lubrication zone. I also noticed its about 50% more expensive too. LOL---Matt

grntitan_2009_250358.jpg

13. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I haven't tried one yet, Matt. None of the gun shops I frequent have had them on display but I will get one when they do.

Ed

14. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I dunno... looks like all they did was remove the woolly bit and replace it with a plastic bit. I guess that starting the woolly in the bore was too much of a challenge for some.<center>
    View attachment 245724
    </center>

MK

15. grntitan

MK--I think the wolly bit was on the wrong end anyway. I think its got an extra brush somewhere on it or maybe its a 10ga brush for the 12ga to make it clean better.---Matt

16. schutzemgud

schutzemgud TS Member

Ed's got the plan, if you put brake cleaner in your barrel wipe and then a "must" you oil well, there isn't anything left to clean out later. Brake cleaner removes everything! You must oil after using it. Try it you'll like it.

Mike

17. melbournemike

melbournemike TS Member

Brake cleaner is also great on semi auto hand guns,and half the price (same product )as spray on gun cleaners.Ive had no problems with blueing on other finishes,dont let it stand on wood though wipe off b4 it dries.Mike Moloney

18. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Are you talking about "real" brake cleaner or about that non-chlorinated, ineffective stuff they sell in California (among other places)?

MK

19. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I have used a Bore Snake and Clenzoil for years, works great and wipe down the rest of the gun with a rag with Clenzoil on it, wood and all ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.