1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bore Polishing

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by luvtrapguns, May 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

Any hints for bore polishing? I am a DIY'er that would like to give a couple of well used guns (12 ga) a mirror look to the bores. There are no pitting or rusting problems, just not that very polished look I would like to have. Thanks, Marc

2. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

This would do the trick for you. There's other methods I'd use in addition to get the super shiny mirror bore. Use a mandrel rod with harness leather and "Flitz" metal polish to get there. It's a lot of work but you'll like the end results!!

Hap

3. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

And in the end, after you've done all that work, you will have a nice, shiny bore, that doesn't shoot any better than it did when it was dull.

What have you gained?

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Tim, this time your mistaken guy. It will allow you to use any wads without all the extra plastic build-up in the choke. The only way you'd know if plastic build-up affects a barrel performance is to test it clean and with the flags flying. It does help.

I think this is what Jack Seehase did to improve barrels too. Much is unknown without before and after tests as with anything worthy of testing. There's another thing this mirror bore does that a rough barrel can't but you won't see it with a couple shots or even 10. It will kill game birds better and break clays harder too, with the same loads.

Hap

5. CharlesK80

CharlesK80 Member

Hap, I like polished barrels too. Have done it . And I do think they might reduce plastic buildup. But "kill game birds better" or "break clays harder" I think is perhaps promising a bit too much.

And I think the Shooting Times warning about polishing near the choke tube is very well taken. The thought of making the barrel wider at the junction with the leading edge of a choke tube is just not a good idea. In fact very dangerous.

6. CharlesK80

CharlesK80 Member

Hap, I like polished barrels too. Have done it . And I do think they might reduce plastic buildup. But "kill game birds better" or "break clays harder" I think is perhaps promising a bit too much.

And I think the Shooting Times warning about polishing near the choke tube is very well taken. The thought of making the barrel wider at the junction with the leading edge of a choke tube is just not a good idea. In fact very dangerous.

7. CharlesK80

CharlesK80 Member

8. Mapper

Mapper Member

Brownells sells ball hones and the oil. Does a real nice job. I have, in the past, gone to rock shops and got the finest compound for rock polishing in a tumbler. Very slow procedure, but nice in the end.

9. mjsweims

mjsweims Member

Try one of these. I beleive this is the same as what Brownells is selling. I have one in 16 ga. Worked great.
    Jack

10. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I have used these for many years. Brownells has the sets or single hones for sale. They basically reduce tool marks. Wearing out a hone on a barrel will not alter the bore by an amount that can be measured. MAKE SURE YOU GET THE HONING OIL.

It DOES make cleanup a lot easier, and when choke tubes are honed with worn hones, they do not foul to a measurable extent.

Does this improve patterns? Who knows? I do not have the time or inclination to waste time shooting paper.

11. Dr A C Jones

Dr A C Jones Member

" . . . . Does this improve patterns? Who knows? I do not have the time or inclination to waste time shooting paper."

If you learnt something and answered your own question, it would not be a waste of time. Then you could write:

This does (not) improve patterns. I know; I had the inclination and committed the time to find out with some serious pattern tests.

Andrew.

12. digger1dog

digger1dog Member

This is the email address for the rod that has the replaceable Scotch-Brite pads that P3AT is talking about, after seeing his and the results it is well worth the money,

perfspec@charter.net

Fred J

13. 3357

3357 Member

Does scotch brite remove metal?

14. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

"Does scotch brite remove metal?"

Yes, but then so does a brass bore brush.

15. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

All you are doing is putting peaks and valleys in the bore surface that reflect light......It will look like its polished to the eye but will be far from it....If you were to actually polish a barrel, plastic would stick to it like glue.

The more peaks and valleys you put in the surface the more it will appear to shine. That's all honing does to a bore.....the polished effect you get is just reflection. It would take you forever to actually polish a bore, especially after it's had a hone used on it.

Does not mean it will help or hurt anything though.

%~)

16. trapster100

trapster100 Member

221:
    I would have to disagree. A honed 4 ra finish is much "shinier" than a 125 ra.
    It all depends on how deep the peaks and valleys are. That is why you work your way up to a finer grit.

17. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Dear Andrew

If I am going to spend money and time on something that will merely make me feel better for a short time and allow me to boast of my exploits, I would just as soon chase college coeds again.

At my age, this would take a significant amount of money and time. It would largely be unproductive, but I might possibly feel better for a short time, and would certainly boast about it. LOL

The overwhelming reason I hone bores, whether on my guns, or the guns of customers, is to reduce plastic fouling and make cleanup easier. Using a worn hone on choke tubes almost eliminates fouling in them. Reducing toolmarks is the function of these hones.

Use of a chamber hone typically improves function and eases extraction/ejection.

Personally, I think this does improve patterns to a degree, but the mental edge of thinking I have superior equipment, which might cause me to increase focus on the target, probably has more to do with better breaks after this procedure.

Whether this actually causes the bore to be smoother or rougher is definitely a debate I do not have time or inclination to participate in.

18. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

DIXIE SPECIAL 25

After spending entirely too much time on this forum and observing the bantor, I would guess the answer to your question would be MORE THAN A FEW.

Marc

19. ABH

ABH Member

I went to Home Depot and got a 1/2" x 4' wooden dowl. I cut a 6" slit 3" in from one end, with my chop saw. Two or three times a year,I soak my barrels in kerosene. I put 0000 steel wool thru the slit in the wooden dowl. Put the dowl in a 1/2" drill and send it thru the barrel 4 or 5 times on slow speed with the barrel still wet. The steel wool should be snug but not tight inside the barrel. After that,I submerge the barrel again in the kerosene and clean with my favorite bore cleaner. I use Shooters Choice. I get very little plastic fowling with Downrange wads. I believe this method is refered to as (Burnishing).The kerosene also helps to keep your ejecters working smoothly also.

ART HARDWICK.

20. trapster100

trapster100 Member

Burnishing:
    Burnishing is the plastic deformation of a surface due to sliding contact with another object. Visually, burnishing smears the texture of a rough surface and makes it shinier. Burnishing may occur on any sliding surface if the contact stress locally exceeds the yield strength of the material.

Think of it as forcing a hardened metal ball about .002"-.003" larger than the bore size thru the bore. This generally work hardens the surface also.

It can also be done with rolls and mandrels:

http://www.cogsdill.com/products/burnishing/roll-a-finish-tools/

These tools can change a bore size in stainless steels .003"-.004" dia. by setting them .010-.015 larger than the bore size.

Not recommended for shotgun barrels! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.