1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

bore polishing

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Tugboat, May 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tugboat

Tugboat Member

What might be the best way to polish the bore of a shotgun barrel?
    Thanks..

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Set aside some time; Rome was not built in a day.

Cut a slot in the end of a wooden dowel of about 3/8 inch in diameter, up to maybe half an inch dowel
    , maybe an inch-plus deep. Tear of strips from an abrasive shoot about an inch wide, then tailor the length to something which, when centered in the slot and wrapped around the stick, gives moderate "drag" when you run it down the barrel and turn it with an electric drill.

You may want to start with very, very fine emery, but then follow up with crocus cloth. When the "cutting" part of the abrasive is worn down, tear it off and back it up with paper strips to regain the drag you experiences when you started. This way you can use almost the whole strip.

Using this technique, you can end up with a more highly-polished barrel than any factory ever saw go out the door. Nothing about the pattern or velocity of the shot is likely to change, though.

Neil

evesdropper thanked this.
  3. John Browning

John Browning TS Member

Tug, Brownell's makes a bore polishing set, medium and fine brushes and one for the chamber. The instuctions tell you(if you are a gunsmith), not to let your costomers watch, because it takes so little time to achieve a very shiny bore. I use mine every 6 months or so to make sure I have all the plastic
    out of the bore. Usally one pass with the fine and your are good to go. John

4. 333t

333t Member

I use a cleaning rod (handle removed) with a worn down 12 gauge bore brush. Wrap the brush and an inch of the handle with masking tape a couple of layers thick then twist the masking tape and put on a couple of layers with the sticky side out. Then cut a strip of 600 grit sandpaper to wrap around the brush. Wrap the strip on so that the turning drill leaves the loose end trailing. The masking tape will hold the sandpaper in position. Put your barrel in a vise to hold it so you can work from the chamber end. Lubricate the chamber area well with cutting oil. Using the rod with your hand drill, guide the sandpaper covered brush into the chamber and then in to the bore. Make sure you have sufficient oil in the barrel. The drill should be able to turn the polisher with moderate effort. If the barrel starts to get warm you need more oil or your fit is too tight. 600 grit will put a nice mirror finish on the chamber,bore, and fixed choke but will not remove imperfections. A half dozen or so complete passes (chamber to muzzle) with the drill running at medium speed should do the job.

If you have scratches or pits try 400 grit and then finish up with the 600. I wouldn't go any coarser than 400. Neither one of these grits will do much more than polish given the short duration of the polishing so don't worry about "overboring" anything.

This has worked well for me on standard steel barrels. I haven't tried it on a chrome lined barrel so don't recommend it.

Phil

5. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

I also use a rod/brush and Scotchbrite, go maroon and then white, I actually like to use lots of water but whatever floats your boat. After slick finish with the white, then wrap 0000 wool around the brush, tight then remove a little material til it fits slightly loose, makes it an absolute mirror.

6. m70win

m70win Member

I like polishing it every morning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.