1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bore mop

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jlesley, Feb 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jlesley

jlesley TS Member

Is there any way to clean these things? Mine is only a couple months old and completely black and filthy. Thanks....Jill

2. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

Are you asking about the bore snake? If so I just threw mine in the wash with my work clothes and then hung it to dry over the register to dry for a day. As for the mops that go on rods prolly could try putting in a cloth pouch and try it in the washer as well.

Jerry

3. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

I don't use one. Patches work fine. Southern Bloomer Co. 12 gauge are the best.

4. whopper1

whopper1 Member

I put mine in a small bucket of hot water with a strong concentration of any household cleaner such as Mr Clean. Let soak for a day or two-comes out nice and clean.

Dave

5. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Just throw it in the wash like 09newbie said. it doesn't make any difference if it is a bore-snake or the mop end for a cleaning rod. Let air dry when you remove.

ss

6. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Make up a small bucket of a few drops of some Dawn (because it really does cut grease/oil)detergent and hot water. Let it soak in the solution for about 1 hour. Then, make up a fresh solution of Dawn and hot water. Put on some dishwashing gloves and, using your hands, and a toothbrush if you like, clean whatever gunk is left on it by lightly scrubbing with your hands or the brush or both. Rinse frequently in warm water. Shake it out and let it dry thoroughly. It may not be as white as it was when you bought it, but it'll be clean enough to reuse.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

PS I use a sink in the basement so I don't dirty up the kitchen or laundry room.

7. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

I'm with Fred on this one. They cost about about $1.60 each for good ones, and even cheaper for the lower quality ones. The time it would take to wash one would be worth more than that to me. But I guess if you're retired you'll do anything to keep yourself from going crazy :)

Josh

8. psfive

psfive Member

For my bore snakes I soak them in any grease cutter like Dawn or the like for a while. Put it in an old sock knot the sock and into the washing machine. Comes out looking like new. the sock keeps the string from wraping around the center of the washer. Paul

9. Rods Custom Stocks

Rods Custom Stocks Member

Use warm soapy water. We keep these in stock if you want to purchase a new one.

........Rod 419-347-6403

10. pedagogue

pedagogue Member

I use half a sheet of a Viva paper towel. Push it through with your cleaning rod. No fus no mess no clean up.

11. brent375hh

brent375hh TS Member

Jill,

Mine has been black and filthy for years. Still seems to work though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.