1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bore gauges for 20/28/410 gauges

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by sernv99, Jul 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

I have been looking for a bore gauge for the subgauges. While Googling around, I came across some articles on the Stan Baker bore gauge set, but I guess since his passing away, they are not in production anymore. A lot of people thought highly of his bore gauges.

Is there any other "the Cadillac of bore gauges" out there that you would recommend? Is the Skeets gauges, sold by Brownells, pretty good?

2. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

I have the Mr. Skeets one and it works well for all gauges.

I can highly recommend it.

David D.

3. David McMillen

David McMillen Well-Known Member

Check out Brownells. They have two different sets, for checking bores of 410, 28, 20 and 12ga.

4. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Can't say much good for my Skeets. Never the same reading and have to re-zero after every use. Pretty much what you expect for cheap.

5. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

I bought one used from Phillip Crenwelge. It was one of his spare ones that he didn't use. It is made by CSP (Custom Shooting Products of Omaha, NE). I can't see that they are still in business.

These units come up for sale periodically, but you have to move fast when they do. Bill Malcolm

6. cementman

cementman Member

The CSP Guages are still being sold. For an all bore set you will not find any better.

Reference website: http://www.100straight.com/products/index.htm

Have an older set that functions perfectly, with wood box, that I part with for $300.00 plus shipping from Michigan. The same as shown on above website, PM me for actual pictures.

7. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link Cementman. At $300 if sernv99 doesn't buy the set, I will. Bill Malcolm

8. cementman

cementman Member

Trying to publish pictures of bore guage for sale

9. cementman

cementman Member

Second Picture

10. cementman

cementman Member

Third Picture

11. cementman

cementman Member

Fourth Picture. Wish I could have figured a way to publish in one reply.

12. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

"Most" bore gauges on the market are not very accurate or consistent. They are more useful on checking chokes and forcing cones.

I had three at one time, none of them agree with each other, so I borrow three others from my friends to compare, most of them read differently from the same barrel, at different times.

I finally settled on the ones that matched my Italian barrel proof marks and the closest to each others. But still, they are not 100% consistent.

Don't take bore gauges too seriously. They are just for references. .724 vs .725 bore or .734 vs .735 bore (in 12 GA) won't make any different when you miss the bird.

13. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

sent you a PM cementman.....

also, is there any positive/negative going towards a digital vice standard dial?

14. cementman

cementman Member

Just an example of measurements taken with the CSP Guage compared to proof markings on Barrels:

1. Beretta Silverhawk 471 12ga Barrel Marked 18.4 = .7244 Measured .724

2. Beretta Optima Choke 12ga Barrel Marked 18.6 = .7326 Measured .733

In my estimation close enough.

15. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

SPF. I have 2 of the Skeets gauges to sell. They are like new,with all the paperwork & wrappers. Brownells get $84 wholesale for the 12/16 & $81 wholesale for 20/28. I will take $55 ea and shipping or I will pay the shipping if you buy both. I only bought a CSP set for the .410 and I like funky/fancy tools. These are all accurate within a .001 or .002. The big thing is to see if somebody has played around in the bore or to check the dimentions of chokes & choke tubes. You can use a set of snap gauges but they only get about 4" down the bore.
    CSP is still in business as of a few months ago Tom 406-821-3215

16. ohiomike

ohiomike Member

Tom,

You have a PM.

17. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

CSP, accurate and fine quality. I speak from the experience of having worked in a machine shop for over 31 years!!

18. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

If you drag a bore gauge through a barrel and observe the dial you will notice that the reading changes as it moves. This says less about the gauge than it does about thye barrel. ALL bores change diameter. None are the same thyroughoutn their length. It is a result of the boring and subsequent process used in their manufacture.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.