1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

bore gauge accuracy

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Johnny, Oct 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

All gauges have a tolerance. What is the norm for bore gauge accuracy?

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Generally 1/10 of the calibrations as I scratch my head.

So, .001 would be+/- .0001

Or 1/5, my memory not too good..

3. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

BigM, .0001 is hardly anything. So if I am seeing +/- .001 variation on the same repeated measurement that is not acceptable for a bore gauge?

4. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

They are typically +-.001. Anything more accurate than that and you're going to be spending thousands of dollars. Because of this, bore gauges should be used more as a comparison tool (measure the ID of the barrel, and subtract the ID of the choke) than as something that will give you a definitive measurement of either.

5. BigM-Perazzi

Depending on the type of bore Gage. The 3 ball Gage, you have to read the highest reading. It's hard to maintain it perfectly perpendicular to the bore. You can generally rock it side to side slightly to get the highest reading which should repeat. If we're talking timbered, I certainly wouldn't sweat the difference.

Damn spellchecker I mean talking gun barrels!!

6. BigM-Perazzi

Johnny, in my line of work, .000010 can be too much!!

Skeetman, I think your confusing calibrated increments with tolerance. The tolerance for repeatability should always be less than the increment of measurement...

7. dverna

dverna Active Member

Does it really matter if it is .7375 or .738? Or if a choke constriction is .0295 or .030? I think we get too anal at times.

BTW, it is easy to check with a "known" reference. Have old choke tube you no longer use verified at a good shop that is ISO certified, and compare it to what your device measures. Keep it as your "standard".

Don Verna

8. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

BigM, "You can generally rock it side to side slightly to get the highest reading which should repeat."

Yes, I understand that. When you say "should repeat" what is acceptable? Is +/- .001 normal? If I am a couple thous. off on the barrel and a couple more on the choke I don't know what I have. Seems it should repeat within .001.

9. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

dverna, If I could read that close everytime I wouldn't be asking this question. I do have chokes that are marked and I can read the marked measurement with calipers. Sometimes the bore gauge is right on sometimes of several thous. Hences the question about what is practical accuracy with these gizmos.

10. BigM-Perazzi

It depends on the dial indicator. If its not repeating there might be old oil in it or dirt. But, if its coming back within. 002 don't sweat it. Now were not talking day to day variations, right? You need to recalibrate to a known reference each time you use it like Don said due to temperature variations.

11. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

BigM, No, I am talking about consecutive readings, say minute. If the barrel reading says .735 one time and .736 the next is that normal accuracy? strange part is when checked with the calibration ring it zero's every time or very close. If the barrel reads .736 and I push on the button, it will return to .735. Is that normal? I am beginning to think what I see is normal and just the way it is.

12. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

There are also variations in the bore diameter in the same barrel. If you move the gauge up or down the barrel you will notice the dial moving, sometimes quite a bit. A dear frriend, now departed who was a noted gunmaked told me that when he was in Italy he wanted to buy a number of barrels. As he mic'd them he noted that there was a great deal of fluctuation in bore diameter. The manufacturer merely shrugged his shoulders and told him. "That's how it is"!

13. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

unloader, I see there four screws on the back. I will keep that in mind.

Pat, I think it does work best going from bottom and up.

birdogs, I don't have noticable variation in the barrel and I have measured it full length. Doesn't move a tic as I go through the barrel, and it's just a BT.

14. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Most of the variatons can be contributed to "operator error"!

95% of the shooters don't really know how to use measuring instruments.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.