1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bore Differences

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JRW, Dec 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRW

JRW Member

If you are shooting 1oz loads and have good results through a 737 bore. Can you shoot the same load through 740 or 750 bore and expect similar results? Thanks Jerry in MI.

2. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

My Seitz has a .752 bore with .038 choke.. Never had a finer barrel.. It shot 24 gram fantastic.. and everything else that would fit down the bore.. It liked pressure.. 8000PSI and up.. to seal the best.. payload was not an issue..

3. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

I shoot 1 oz. loads for the first shot of doubles through my .750 bore with great results. I've also shot 1 oz. through the single barrel and they work better than I do. Bill Malcolm

4. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I'd expect it to be about as good as 0.079 bore, though perhaps more trouble with some wads in cold weather. I don't think that oversize bores are any handicap at all in most situations.

Neil

5. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

That is really a small bore Neil :)

Ajax

6. Neil Winston

Oops! Thanks, Ajax, it should have been 0.729 of course. Thanks.

I'm sure you know that there are a few 0.079-bore shotguns out there invented by TS.com members who grew tired of all the 7 ½'s vs 8's threads and in defense invented guns which could only use 8 1/2's and smaller. I must have been thinking of them.

Neil

7. jhoward

jhoward Member

Neil, would I be correct in thinking that those 0.079 bore guns actually do have a shot string and not a pattern?

8. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Neil I have personally seen issues with the .750 and .780 bore guns having off sounding shells. I personally like .740 bores with all loads. From what Al Ljutic has said and tested it was the ultimate bore Diameter. The early Perazzi models w/.729 bores really patterned very good also. I would not buy another Kolar w/.750 bore or any other Trapgun w/a bore larger than .740. But this is just my personal guideline.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

9. Neil Winston

I've seen big problems with 0.780 bores too, Gary, both in patterning and odd sounds in cold weather. I have a genuine Baker Big Bore here and should venture out with it just to check. I've often wondered if the patterns resulting from "good" and "bad" sounding shells are at all different and the weather in Minnesota right now would probably give me the answer.

Neil

10. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

I have a .750 bore Kolar and wouldn't buy anything else. I hear lots of off sounding shells, especially in the cold northern winters. The usual common denominator is that it is a reloaded shell. Bill Malcolm

11. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

lower pressure shells are most often the results of off sounding shells in the big bore guns. jack the pressure to above 9000psi and off sounds go away with quality wads,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.