1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bore Diameter Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Buster1652, Sep 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buster1652

Buster1652 Member

Other than maybe reduced recoil, does a .740 bore have an advantage over a .735 bore or is .750 bore best of all.

I am a little confused as to why the premier trap gun makers utilize different bore sizes.

Buster

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The big bore barrels can decrease the number of fliers in the pattern. This is because of less shot deformation. HMB

3. Buster1652

Buster1652 Member

Thanks hmb, I had not considered the reduced flyers. Do some of the TG makers use a larger bore than .750 that you know of?

Would .755 be better, is there a point of diminishing return? I am just curious about this.

Thanks

Buster

4. dverna

dverna Active Member

I do not understand how a larger bore will reduce recoil unless velocity is reduced.

Don Verna

5. Gapper

Gapper TS Member

When they market something, they market what sells best. Don't you find it strange no one can agree on what size overbore works best? GAP

6. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

If the bore gets to big I understand there can be problems with the was sealing the gas behind the wad --- with a reduction of velocity and perhaps poorer patterns as some gas could be ahead of the wad and could let it come out of the muzzle slightly cocked.

7. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Several years ago, I had a M-32 Krieghoff 30" barrel set that had been overbored to .755". It had fixed chokes, tighter and tightest. It was the best Bunker barrel I have ever shot. Even with the Heavy Dove Load, 3 1/4 X 1 1/8, recoil was very acceptable. At the time, you could get a flat of them for $30. Of course, the gun fit me, or it would have kicked my head off.

I let Les Greevy talk me out of it. He set it up for a student. He was impressed with it, as is everybody who shoots it.

It seemed to put about every pellet on the target.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.