1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

bore diameter of new vs older K80 guns?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rampro6698, Dec 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rampro6698

rampro6698 TS Member

Hope this is not a dumb question:

I have a 2006 K80 with a stamp on barrels stating bore diameter of 18.6mm, which I assume is .732 bore size. Comp N Choke website shows two choices for Krieghoff bore sizes of .732 and .735 (18.7mm bore?)

So my question is: are there in fact two bore sizes for K80 guns? I am wanting to get some Muller chokes for mine but their website does not differentiate two different bore sizes. I emailed them and they just said in a very generic way that their K80 chokes work with older and newer guns. So if you put a U0 in my gun and the U0 is actually cylinder for the newer guns then it would be a spreader (.003 larger than my bore diameter) in my gun. I know it is splitting hairs, but they cost enough money you just want to know what you are getting especially since the steps between choke constrictions is typically only .005 and we are talking .003 here just from bore diameter difference. So the U4 (.035 constriction), which would essentially never be needed in sporitng clays would be .032 constriction in my gun; which is almost a light full which might be useful on some unusually long shots.

Also, would it alter the pattern effectiveness of the choke tubes?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

2. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

You have to measure the bores to know what you've actually got. They can vary several thousandths.

3. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

My 2007 K80 had .735 bores and my 2010 K80 does as well. Need to measure to verify. A bore gauge is indispensable.

4. 1963

1963 TS Member

The smart way to deal with constriction preference is to measure bore diameter and call Briley MFG at 1-800-331-5718 and specify the constriction you want. Perhaps print your K80 at the pattern board and check for POI and shot pattern before you order a choke. Good luck and Happy New Year. Mike

5. drgondog

drgondog Member

Step One - measure Your bore diameters.

Step two - ask Muller for their Cyl bore diameter to a.) ensure that there is zero possibility of being 'too small'. For me .003 delta would be the minimum difference between my worst case Maxixmum Barrel Bore Diameter (Top and Bottom) and the Minimum Muller Choke Tube ID.

Step three - measure them before shooting.

If you send the barrels to Muller - likely there will be no problem - but measure anyway after you get them back.

Most of the good after market tube suppliers are standardizing on .740 ID because of the proliferation of gunmakers supplying overbored barrels around .732.-735. Candidly I haven't asked Jess or Cliff what Briley does when they fill orders for the older S-1 and similar design tubes.

Regards,

Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

k-80 back bore is it worth it

k80 bore diameter