1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

bore cleaning help

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by tcr1146, Aug 5, 2013.

1. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

I have come across a barrel that has unusually stubborn plastic in it! I have used the home made bore cleaner from this site, drill with tight patch and bronze brush, and even a brass brush wrapped with copper chore boy! I have even used liberal amounts of straight acetone! I still have plastic in there! Do you guys have any suggestions. Since the damn thing is ported, it is not very practical to fill with acetone and let it set! Thanks, Tom Rhoads p.s. I bet a bunch of you have plastic in your barrels and don't realize it!?

2. Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio Member

I had a guy tell me one time to try PVC cleaner, I have never tried it but I bet that would work in getting plastic out. The cleaner is the stuff you use before gluing PVC pipe together that you find at Lowes.

You could give that a try. The old guy that told me this did also tell me do not leave it in your barrel for to long.

Like I said I have never tried this but I have used it for other stuff that I needed to clean up and it works really well.

3. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

I've used brake cleaner with success; HOWEVER, DO NOT let this stuff get on your wood. All it has taken is use with the nylon bore brush. I also use Hoppe's #9 & Breakfree as a usual cleaner. Keep in mind I'm religious about cleaning the barrel after it's shot, without exception. Hope this helps. P.S. I use pipe cleaners and Hoppe's #9 on the porting about once a month. BT-100dc

4. wrd

wrd Member

There is a S/S cleaning brush called the Tornado Brush. It is spiral S/S. I make three passes through a dirty barrel with the end of the barrel over a white paper towel. The crap left on the towel is amazing. Then continue with regular cleaning.

5. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

If that barrel continues to plastic foul after cleaning, you may want to try a different brand of wads.

I switched from Claybuster to Downrange in one of my guns that had a tendency to plastic foul badly and the problem completely disappeared! DRXL1 green.

Kiv

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The thing about acetone is that it is very volatile meaning it evaporates rapidly at normal tempratures. So you don't get much contact time with it unless you use it chilled and on cold steel. Mineral spirits stick around longer but Ed's Red is the best solution.

Use a large patch on a correct size jag after the intial brushing (use a 10 gauge bronze brush wetted in Ed's Red)) and pour about 1/2 oz of Ed's Red in behind the patched jag after you get it in the chamber. Make several back and forth passes but don't push it out the end of the bbl (keep the solvent in the bbl). This should take everything right out but if there is still a bit of fouling repeat the brushing followed by a wet patched jag.

Stay away from the agressive stainless brushes and power tools. These will just scratch up the bore and make new places for fouling to grow from.

7. flashmax

flashmax Well-Known Member

Wads are made of Polyethylene ( per Remington MSDS ) click the above link and select a material ( in this instance LDPE, low density polyethylene ) and then punch the "D" Severe ratings and even the "C" ratings, then the 'See Results' radio button. Look at the low compatibility results, the "D" ratings, and you will find the solvent you are looking for. Be sure you know the effect of the solvent on metals and your lungs before you use it though.

Have fun.

Me I use a beaker filled with Premium gasoline mixed with a dash of Xylene, Toluene, Acetone, and Turpentine to clean the plastic fouling out of my choke tubes. It worke OK for a bbl cleaner too but it WILL soften the plastic handle of a Briley Choke Tube Brush so be careful around stock finishes and other plastic parts.

Don T. Littleton CO

8. kenf

kenf Active Member

Would Kroil mixed in help get under the plastic?

9. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Thanks guys! I will try again! By the way, when I thoroughly clean the choke tubes from my dt10, I soak them in pure acetone for a while and then ream hell out of them with a drill and tight brush and then use a sharp pocket knife to peel it out of there! It is that bad!! Tom Rhoads

10. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Clenzoil and forget it ... Use it on your gun, wood, and leather ... Do not use it to brush your teeth or tooth be that as it may ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

11. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

Tom

A friend introduced me to "Gunzilla"

It really works on plastic build-up, but as stated above, keep it off the wood!!!!!!

I was using it on a barrel set, when I decided to use a old toothbrush to get into some cracks.

After, I laid the toothbrush on a cleaning rag, and when I picked it up, it fell completely apart from the Gunzilla.

Good stuff.

12. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Acetone won't dissolve wads. If you don't believe that put your favorite wad in some acetone and watch what happens. Acetone wouldn't even remove a coat of Tru-0il so I could start over so it certainly wouldn't damage a two part clear coat type finish like most manufacturers use now.

A bronze brush on a drill should take it right out. Are you sure it's plastic?

13. pumpernck

pumpernck Member

Use any good cleaner and then treat the barrel with slp2000 ewl or Eezox. Let it stand for the night. Both of these products will bond with the barrel metal and prevent rust from forming in the most humid climes for a long time. Because the oil is synthetic, the bond with the metal is so great that when you go to clean the fouling out, the plastic wad residue literally comes out in one sheet. One or two patches and the bore is spotless. Try some, if you don't like it, I will give you your money back.

14. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I never recommend the Tornado brush. If a strand of steel breaks, it will scratch the bore of your pricey shooting iron.

15. trw

trw Member

Suggest that you try a product called "Quick Shot" Bore Cleaner.

1-800-407-4244 or www dot quickshot dot net [from a can's back]

I have no personal[$] interest here, but it is the best product for that purpose I have ever used & it works to remove plastic build up 'right now'!

Best, tw

16. oldcop

oldcop Member

Shooters Choice has worked the best for me, and that was when shooting skeet extensively. Of course that was in a 687EELL which has chrome-lined bores. It did peel the plastic out, though.

17. 4N6PE

4N6PE Member

Ed's Red will remove any plastic fouling. I use a ss Tornado brush which does the best job in scouring the bore.

It's impossible for the relatively soft ss Tornado brush to scratch a hardened chrome shotgun bore.

18. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I use shooters choice or Hoppes #9 but I also use a 12 gauge chamber brush in a drill with a full battery and run it back and forth halfway down the barrel. The barrel will get warm but it removes anything in the barrel.

Bill

19. oldcop

oldcop Member

Happiness is a warm barrel!

20. wrd

wrd Member

Got my Tornado Brush in 2007. I have used it 2 to 5 times a week ever since in my Brownings. No scratches and no broken wires. Try one pass and watch the crap spray out. Three passes is plenty for plastic. Then proceed with normal cleaning. When you think it is absolutely spotless, cut a small strip of a KleenBore Lead Away cloth, wrap it around a bore brush and run it through the barrel a few times. Not as spotless as you thought? No problem. Its not a surgical instrument you know.
    I have tried every solvent that I could find. I still find Hoppe's #9 works as well or better than anything out there.

Search tags for this page

cleaning plastic fouled from chrome barrel