1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bore cleaner

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by reddeath, May 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reddeath

reddeath TS Member

I know I saw this posted here before, but the TS search function sucks!

What is the formula for the home made bore cleaner?

Thanks,
    Craig

2. mad_dawg

mad_dawg Member

Ed's red.... for reddeath. smash the link

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

To make a quart...use 10 oz. each of:

-Dexron automatic transmission fluid<br>
    -K-1 kerosene<br>
    -Kingsford charcoal lighter fluid (Stoddard solvent) or odorless mineral spirits (aliphatic mineral spirits)<br>

-and add... 2 oz. of acetone

Mix and store in a metal can (I use an empty quart chemical can)

You can use 8 oz (equal parts) of each but you don't really need that much acetone to soften plastic wad residue. A lesser amount works a bit slower on the plastic but makes it smell less strong when used indoors.

Keller

4. reddeath

reddeath TS Member

Got it thanks all!

5. klf

klf Member

Add a can of PB blaster as well. It eats wad fouling like bacon. Keep it off the stock and your pee pee.

6. falcon74

falcon74 TS Member

I add some of this mixture to Old Spice (50/50) and put it on when I think I'm about to get lucky. Smells just great (Natural Musk).
    Ed

7. klf

klf Member

Falcon74. I tried that crap and now I'm a family man. Don't go a full 50/50 mix

klf_2012_02022.jpg

8. Tee J

Tee J TS Member

Or you can just buy a bottle of RUTLAND conditioning GLASS CLEANER. This is the best bore cleaner I have used. removes plastic from wads and leaves barrel sparkling clean

9. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

TeeJ: And you get that where? Window Cleaner that disolves plastic?????

10. Big Dog Dad

Big Dog Dad Active Member

I just looked and it is available on Amazon. It looks like it's getting some good reviews also.

-=BDD=-

11. Unknown1

<blockquote><I>"TeeJ: And you get that where? Window Cleaner that disolves plastic?????"</I></blockquote>Rutland Glass Cleaner is made to clean the glass doors in wood burning stoves. It has a lot of silica (very fine sand) in it so it acts like scouring powder to remove soot deposits (Remington markets a liquid bore cleaner that has something similar in it). It's probably something like Soft Scrub Cleanser.

I don't know how effective it would be at removing plastic residue. This stuff also leaves a deposit of silicone behind, supposedly to make the next cleaning easier. I'm not too sure about that one. It's not supposed to scratch glass.

I'll stick with Ed's Red! Getting that grit in the ejectors/extractors sounds like a bad plan to me.

Keller

12. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Member

PB Blaster used alone is a great bore cleaner. PB Blaster is a nut and bolt freeing agent used to spray upon bolts and nuts that will not break free. Somewhat like Liquid Wrench but a bit better IMHO. It comes in an aerosol can and you can find it at AutoZone or Advanced Auto Parts or Pep Boys.

I used to make up Ed's Red and changed the formulae to drop the Kerosene and replaced that with Kano KROIL. A bit more expensive but boy does it work better. KROIL is a super penetrating oil that does a great job in cleaning and loosening metal parts. It also puts up a nice anti-rust barrier. All the modern benchrest shooters have been using Kroil for years on their expensive barrels.

So now a days I use PB Blaster on the barrel cleaning and follow that with a patch of KROIL for final lubrication.

BTW, to clean a really nasty barrel (say on a used shotgun)... that Cyclone wire brush just is hard to beat.

Art

13. WJN

WJN TS Member

What is the Dextron for? Just wondering because I have a 5 Gallon can of Traveller Universal Tran/Hydra oil. Use it on tractors that share the transmission and hydraulics oil. Wonder if it would work in place of the Dextron?

Jim

14. Unknown1

Here's what the originator of the formula said about DEXRON (no "t") and its use in Ed's Red: <center>
    View attachment 213625

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    </center>

I don't know which 2 components are "polar" and which 2 are "non-polar", but he did. I know that there are transmission fluids that are quite different from each other chemically (Dexron and Mopar, for example), so I can see no reason to change the formula by substitutions from the way it was developed. You are free to make your own decision about that.

Keller

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.