1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bore and choke of a Y model 12?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hoosier Daddy, Apr 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

I know very little about Model 12's. I have searched the archives and found a couple of threads about them that still left me wanting more information. I am thinking of buying a Y model 12 that cosmetically is pretty nice. I am buying it to shoot and not look at. I am sure the choke has been opened up but all I had to measure it with was one of those brass choke guages that are pretty much worthless. It showed a ball park figure of .705 for the choke. I have read that the Y models had a nominal bore of somewhere around ,734 to .735. Can anyone confirm this? As I said I know nothing of model 12's and could use some guidance on this. Thanks.

2. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

In my experience most Winchester stuff had a .729 bore & the Y's were choked tighter. Mine had .041 of constrction.

3. wrzone

wrzone Member

I have a couple Y Models both bores are in the .735 range

4. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Not much help here Roland other than I had one that I purchased new that had .043 constriction! Tom Rhoads

5. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate the input.

6. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Mine has a .730 bore with .035 choke.

7. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

You are in the ballpark for both original and opened up, but you have to do better than ballpark to know whether it has been opened up.

8. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

I just bought two Y model 12 Trap today. They both have .733 bore and choked at .695. Both are for sale.
    Don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.