1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Booze and ATA?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by smsnyder, Mar 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

I see many people who drink before shooting. What is the ATA rules on this?

2. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Wink and nod but don't get caught!!

3. porky

porky TS Member

The rule book states that you will be removed and your scores not registered. I know that in Elysburg, the PSSA is definitely against it and police it. NY is not so good at policing it.

4. smsnyder

One drink means impairment. How can that be?

5. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Some don't need any Earl. Sorry, just couldn't let that one slide by. :)

6. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

I personally only seen it enforced once. In the early 90's at the Del.state shoot which was held at the Silver Lake gun club. a contestant who just broke all 200 singles opened a can of beer and proceeded to drink it. I was right next to him when a shoot official approached him and stated he was not eligible to shoot off because of the beer. The shooter was very understanding and just walked away. At a New Jersey state shoot around the same time frame a friend of mine was in a shoot off with a popular Jersey shooter who made it a habit before or after a shoot to drink beer. Before the shoot off this guy was drinking and I suggested to my friend that he report him, in which he did. They still allowed the guy who was drinking to shoot off. So it all depends who is enforcing the rules.

7. smsnyder

THis what booze does to you after one beer.

8. WindyOneNW

WindyOneNW TS Member

I will not register for a shoot if they are that uptight over a few drinks. I like a couple before I shoot and several during a shoot and very many after.

9. DEGREGG

DEGREGG TS Member

Copied from the 2011 ATA Rulebook

Rule XII, B., 2.,a.

It is the responsibility and the required duty of Shoot Management to immediately remove and disqualify any contestant at any time during an ATA sanctioned tournament:
    a. who is under the obvious influence of alcohol or drugs before starting or during any event, sub-event, shoot-off or practice, or who consumes any alcoholic beverage or drugs during participation in any event, sub event or between events or sub events held on the same day including shoot-offs and practice. For purposes of this rule, “drugs” shall mean any illegal drug, and shall also mean any prescription medication if that prescription medication affects the judgment or conduct of the contestant to a degree that renders the contestant incapable of safely participating in the sport of trapshooting, whether during a registered event and/or tournament or practice

8. Alcohol and drugs impair judgment and the ATA Rules pertaining to the usage of alcohol and/or drugs must be enforced by Shoot Management. This Rule shall be strictly complied with and shall apply to practice shooting as well as registered and tournament events. (Rule XII, B., 2., a.)

Anyone seen consuming alcohol should be barred from competing for the rest of the day!

Doug Gregg

10. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

For those who think its OK to DRINK and SHOOT Lets put it this way.

I get called up to shoot and theres another shooter also. He has been drinking. He shoots me in some form or another but I live. I find out that he was drinking and I'm or my lawyer can prove it. Guess what? I'm going to sue the sh!t out of the club and the shooter. I'm going to run the place and the shooter into the ground.

That is why the rules are in place to keep someone from sueing the sh!t out of the club and other shooters. I have seen people turn a blind eye to a drunk before and I didn't like it. I was a young shooter at the time.

I don't mind people drinking but not at a gun club or their grounds. By doing so it will cut out the chance of a accident happening. Accidents can happen and sad to say will happen from time to time. Lets keep them to a min and don't throw gas on the fire.

11. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Auctioneer, Is it the clubs fault if someone has a few before they shoot? Your coming across like you are the type just waiting to sue a club. People drink at most all the big Clubs, like the Grand, but only after the shoot.If someone breaks the rules It's on them, not the club.

12. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Whether it`s ATA or not, drinking before or during a shoot is not needed while handling a gun . I have only had the pleasure of throwing 1 person from or club in all the time I`ve been President - 22 years. Not saying there hasn`t been some going back to their vehicle and downing one or two but this one in particular always came to shoot smelling of liquor and I had to put a stop to it. We have safety signs posted also and don`t tolerate those that break the rules. We also voted one out for 6 months for a firearm violation. Only takes one accident to ruin it for everyone.

13. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

It's the clubs fault "if someone has a few before they shoot" and the club is aware of the fact and still allow him to shoot.

John C. Saubak

14. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

There once was a time when there was a keg of beer open for many of our evening league shoots and a few times I remember it "floating" before the match got near end. Those days are gone! SAFETY! Put your gun away for the day and drink what you like. P.S. and I was guilty of helping to float those kegs many times.

Big Jack

15. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Shannon, I'll have to take Auctioneers side on this one. I was totally shocked at the Southern Grand selling beer at lunch and for the rest of the day during the shoot. What people want to do in their RV or car is one thing, but when the club sells it during and after lunch, they are putting themselves and us at some risk. Yes it was just beer, But!!! Now if a club wants to start selling drinks after all reg. shooting is finished for the day, Thats OK with me. I hope I'm not alone on this one. Break-em all. Jeff

16. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Yes, some guys just come to buy or sell, or just see the sights and have a cold one in the shade. 125 yrs of trapshooting and not one death due to a drunk shooter, find something else to get your panties in a bunch.

17. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

One to calm, two to bomb. Guess I have to quit shooting. I can see the rule for an ATA all day shooting event, but here in Wisconsin for leagues and such you would lose half the shooters. Most guys at the club have a beer or two before they shoot leagues at my club. It usually is within the half hour of arriving from work, that they end up shooting, during which they had those beers. Maybe that is why the club is a little less stringent on those rules, even though it is posted. Never had or seen a problem with this, as far as someone being a safety hazard. I think the guys, and gals are aware of the safety issue as far as overdoing it. Not saying it can't, or won't happen. Just have not seen it yet. I think it is a good rule. I just think shooters in ATA events with that kind of experience would not drink to that extent to were they would be impaired enough to be a danger. Or, they would realize they are impaired and withdraw from the competition. Jon

18. pj 999

pj 999 TS Member

WOW!! Grand American Vandalia Beer tent, a lifetime of fun memories there!!

19. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Shannon, There's always tomorrow!!! It will only take "ONE" To make National News. Do You Really Think It Was Just Shoppers Who Were Drinking There. You
    Sir are quite Niave. My Boxers are nice and loose as well, Thank You for asking. Break-em all. Jeff

20. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

This thread is a great idea, I can hardly wait and see where this one goes ... No Comments YET .... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

ata club rules on alcohol

ata logo guy holding gun