1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Boots and insulation factors and usefulness

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Dave P, Jan 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have a question regarding the usefulness of insulation ratings. Quite often you will see for example a boot advertised with 600 grams of insulation good to -10 degrees. Then you'll see another with 2,000 grams of insulation good to -10 degrees. Now if you're talking of hunting or hiking boots I can see that the manfacturer would have to literally stuff the insulation in. But, with pac boots there is much more room to place the insulation but you still see the odd compaisons. Is some of this advertising so much b.s. or what? If it is it puzzeles me why the same advertiser, Cabellas for example, would do this. Any insight to this?

2. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Thinsulate only works by friction. It will not keep your feet warm sitting still. If you want the warmest boots for sitting still in long periods of very cold temps buy the Muck arctic pro sport.

3. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

I spent many years in Montana and Alaska so I know a few things about boots and insulation. If you are really going to spend a lot of time in very cold temps, you can't go wrong with Sorel pacs. The thick wool liner sock is replacable and it really insulates. If looks mean nothing to you then USAF surply Micky Mouse boots are the best of all but they too rely on a wool inner bootie.

4. Mapper

Mapper Member

I have to agree with OMGB. I was a mapmaker and surveyor for about 43 years. It was felts or, in the early years, USAF flight boots over regular shoes. I never could make insulated leather boots work and I owned a lot of them.

5. Michael Wascom

Michael Wascom Member

Click the link and buy the Bunny Boots,they can not be beat by any other boot.

And for these prices,you could buy 3 or 4 pair for the price of a "good" pac boot.

6. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

Either the Bunny Boots or the Mukluks, I've worn both and both keep your feet very warm even when stationary in sub zero weather. There really is nothing else like them at triple the price. The natives in the arctic wear these or sorels...nothing else.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.