1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Boone Pickens' Plan

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by 635 G, Jun 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Boone Pickens

Looks like T Boone Pickens is pushing natural gas for large trucks (18 wheelers) am I wrong but if natural gas is used, the basic inherent strength of a diesel engine will be lost. I f a trucker has to get an engine rebuilt every 300k , where's the savings. All I know is a marine engine is good for 39K hrs while a gasoline engine is good for 3K hrs,

Phil Berkowitz

2. warren

warren Member

I agree diesel has more energy per gallon than gasoline and more than natural gas plus it provides top lubricant in the engine and therefore makes the engine last much longer. True natural gas is cleaner burning but the newer diesels are much cleaner. We should think twice about a gov't sponsered drive to change fuels and let the market decide, it might end up like ethanol.

warren

3. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Pickens lost some 2 billion in natural gas futures, when the price fell from 7.00 a gallon so just over 2.00.

Could it be he has some selfish motives?

"The private sectors doing fine"

4. lots of 24's

lots of 24's Member

Why do I have this feeling that the big money energy companies will somehow create a new market for new and improved ways for them to make money, and we will only be stuck with new ways to try to pay for it. It might be a new fuel, a new system, blah blah blah, but Exxon Mobil will be so well postioned that only the richest rich folks will benefit from it. And the rest of us will continue to be hosed.

5. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

For sure, cheap natural gas is really screwing us over. I sure hope they keep screwing away.

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    If truckers switch in large numbers to natural gas, this will badly impact those who heat their homes and cook with it.

7. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

So we shouldn't use natural gas for anything but cooking and heating? The logic escapes me. We have a huge reserve of natural gas and using it in vehicles will reduce the demand for oil, which has to be a good thing. I'd bet that will be a plus for those who cook and heat with oil, like me.

The great thing about natural gas, which is now nearly free, is that even though nobody drills for it anymore more and more is being produced as a byproduct of drilling for oil.

In the interest of full disclusure, I must say that I would like to see higher natural gas prices so all those gas wells on my property will pay more than pennies in royalties.

8. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I know T Boone personally, not friends but have done business with him and he would screw his mother to make a buck, just a few years ago he was the great supporter of wind power until he got all the money he could out of the government, then he said it was a waste of time it costs more to erect and maintain the turbines than the electricity the generated

Natural gas would work good as a fuel, but don't know how well it would work for OTR trucks as they don't use it liquified, it's high pressure gas and I don't think they will be able to carry enough for long trips, probably work for delivery trucks though

9. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Natural gas is nearly free? Dude, my natural gas bill says otherwise.

10. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

Catpower,

20 years ago I was introduced to T-Boon by a man that knew him very well. The one thing my business acquaintance said to me is "count your fingers after you shake hands with the man." Sounds like it was good advice.

It may be my sceptical nature, but I've grown not to trust any man that doesn't wash or drive his own car.

Kip

11. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Dude, the price of natural gas is $1.91 per MCF- that's damn sure nearly free. What your natural gas provider charges you, which is undoubtedly more, doesn't change that fact, dude.

12. porky

porky TS Member

Lobbyists are the one's behind this, pushing the crooked politicians for the nat gas compaies. Congress only does something when they get paid well for it.

13. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Canada is already using these trucks. The thing with natural gas in which we have incredible amounts of here in the US, is that it is not easily shipped. It has to be liquefied in order to ship in large quantities. Adding extra cost. That means that most, if not all natural gas will be used here, and not controlled by world markets.

Diesel truck engines are typically rebuilt around 400,000 miles on average depending on manufacture. Diesel engines typically run cooler due to the higher flash point of the fuel. Diesel fuel does not burn as hot, and as fast as gasoline. From what I understand, these natural gas engines will also run cooler, allowing more power.

I can't believe some of you are criticizing someone for being a smart businessman. Is that not free enterprise of this country, and what most of you people preach?

14. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Git ER Done hit the nail on the head!!

Remember when we were "sold" a bill of goods on ethanol, same is going on here.

Ethanol = less MPG, Less power, engine damage over time, Water in your gas tanks.

Corn farmers subsidies is what is was ALL about.

15. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

I don't know where you folks are getting the idea that Natural Gas is so....much cheaper? I have been paying $3.65 plus for gasoline and I heat my cottage with NG which I paid $3.43 a gallon to fill a 330 gallon tank in March of this year. One of the downfalls in my opinion is that you can only fill a NG tank to 80% capacity because of expansion. Also the tanks have to be built of heavier steel to contain NG so you some weight factor. If natural gas takes off in vehicles, you can bet that the cost of your 20 LB BBQ tank refill will be well over $50.

What I am trying to say is the gov't needs to get the heck out of the marketplace and let the public demand determine the outcome.

Chuck

16. Tdog

Tdog TS Member

Chuckie- I believe you are talking about Liquid Propane (LP), not Natural Gas.

17. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Not sure if it's true or not, but I read that the diesel engines currently in use by trucks can be retrofitted to run on natural gas at reasonable cost. Supposedly, they will be able to run on either so that would minimize the problem of natural gas filling stations. If true, that reduce transportations costs which would lower the price of everything shipped by truck.

18. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Pickens wants to convert 8 million heavy trucks to natural gas. They account for the bulk of the motor fuel consumed in America. He believes that this is going to happen naturally over the next 8 years or so. What he wants is for the government to sponsor this program now which will accelerate it by about 4 years. That means 4 years less of sending $ billions to middle east despots and enemies.

Once the fueling stations are established, look for cars and light trucks to go to natural gas.

True, the cost of natural gas will go up slightly when this happens but not nearly to the levels prior to this recent boom. The impact on home heating bills will be very moderate.

19. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Ah, another Capitalist, wanting Government regulation.................

"The private sectors doing fine."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.