1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BOOKS

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Neil Winston, Feb 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

He's D Lee Braun and he was twice the writer and ten times the shooter as what's his name. It's a good book but the diagrams are a bit suspect, since he gives no explanation of why the leads on right and left targets should be different.

Neil

2. Singleshot

Singleshot Member

Neil,

I just happened to be looking at his diagrammed leads yesterday, and wondered the same thing.

In the end, I thought it might have to do with an attempt to show that perceived leads could look different due to the fact that shooters generally swing faster in one direction than the other.

I'm a lefty, and it always seems like I see (need) more lead on extreme lefts from 1 than on extreme rights from 5. His chart seems to be demonstrating leads for a right-hander, and thus the exact reverse of what I see - i.e., faster swings to the left and shorter perceived leads.

Then again, maybe the difference represents something completely different and inexplicable.

As to books - I think Dick Bennett's Trapshooting is a Game of Opposites is a pretty good source of basic, easy to understand information.

3. crusha

crusha TS Member

During a college experiment with gay-ness, I happened onto a copy of Ed Scherer's "Leads for Skeet," (God rest his soul)...and always wondered the same thing: why targets in symmetrical positions on the field were not identical (but opposite) leads?

I thought about differences in apparent lead due to swing dynamics, but finally chalked it up to this: Braun and Scherer were probably two gentlemen whose brains had so many images of perfect shots recorded in them, there was no need for them to resort to fugly Remington computer calculations to describe leads; they simply published what their eyes (and mind) remembered, warts and all. They knew it worked, and that's all they needed to know.

Would that we could all pencil down that image from our brains with such certainty.

4. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

One on eBay--

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.