1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Book review: Stock Fitters Bible

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ColBuckShot, Nov 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ColBuckShot

ColBuckShot TS Member

Stock Fitter's Bible by Rollin Oswald
    This book is new and goes into detail on how all the dimensions of a shotgun effect your shooting. I have read a fair amount of shotgun shooting books over the last couple years since im fairly new to the sport. This was the best book i've read because it pinpointed the effects each dimension of a shotgun will cause.
    For example, cant is relative to the height of the trigger hand elbow. If the elbow is too low this can result in twisting the gun causing either shooting to low on station 5 right angle birds, or rainbowing to compensate for this. Another point was made that the lenght of pull (POL) is effected by stance, placement of feet, at each station. Also included the importance of extending the offhand index finger parallel to the barrel. The placement of the offhand on the forearm, this distance relative to the balance hinge point can effect the swing on straight aways. He also wrote about using light pressure in pulling your hands in opposite directions to create stability. this I have not tried yet and would like feedback from someone who has. Good reading and good luck for the coming year.

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I also think it is a first-class work. Even those planning to have a custom stock made by a "fitter" would be well advised to study this first. For the DIY "stockperson" it is invaluable if only for the many examples of interactions which may make a planned modification more complicated than it first seems.

Neil

3. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Thank you both for the reviews. I sincerely appreciate them.

Rollin

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

A fine book that every serious shooter should have. Lots of excellent suggestions. It should be noted that every suggestion may not work for everyone. For me, when "dry mounting" my gun, pulling my hands in opposite directions tended to move my gun to the right, but pushing them together did seem to add some stability and made it more difficult to "arm swing". A bad habit I sometimes have.

Pat Ireland

5. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Thank you, Pat.

Rollin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.