1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Book on stock fitting & shooting form (RO)

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Rollin Oswald, Nov 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

To shoot up to your full potential, you must use the correct gun mount, stance and body posture. It describes the shooting form that time proved to result in the best scores and the most rapid improvement with practice.

Anyone can shoot just about any gun but it is the shooting form that suffers when the gun does not fit the shooter. It is why we can shoot some guns better than others and why trap shooters trade guns so often. I know; it's why I traded guns so often in the 1950s.

There is no simple way to tell if your gun fits you. The following was posted earlier but it bears repeating because shooting form and gun fit are so important.

A "gun that fits" allows the trap shooter to:

Stand with the body rotated approximately 23 degrees to the side of the gun mount (shooting form)

Mount the gun with the whole recoil pad, top to bottom, making simultaneous contact with the shoulder pocket. (check of the pitch dimension)

Place his or her cheek on the comb of the stock with the head turned only slightly toward the stock and tilted or leaned forward even less. (check of the stance, cast and drop at the heel dimensions)

Position the eye, following the mount, to align horizontally with the rib and at a height above the rib that results in the shooter's choice of the vertical point of impact (POI). No wiggling of the gun on the shoulder should be necessary. (check for gun mount, cast at the comb and drop at the comb dimensions)

Have a separation between the nose and the trigger-hand thumb of 1" to 1.5" (check for the gun mount and stock length)

Have the weight evenly distributed on the balls of both feet (or with slightly more weight on the forward foot when using a slight forward lean at the waist) and a separation about equal to the width of the shoulders. Both legs are straight but not locked at the knees. (Shooting form check, which will affect stock dimensions)

If your gun can be mounted as described above, chances are very good that it fits you. When any of the five primary stock dimensions do not fit, an element of your shooting form will be corrupted and your shooting success will pay the price. (The above shooting form is taught by virtually all instructors and trainers here in the U.S. and varies only slightly in Europe.)

For more information about "Stock Fitting Secrets", click on the Website URL near the top of the page.

Rollin

2. Rollin Oswald

I will be correcting an awkward sentence, expanding the table of contents, adding Neil's POI test and printing more books in the next few months. I may also expand or delete entirely, the "Suppliers" section in the book but am ss yet, undecided.

I have been having some irritating computer problems and am dealing with IBM to replace the third Levono laptop that I've had during the past year.

So far, IBM has refused to give me the information necessary to file Better Business Bureau complaints on Levono laptops and the IBM repair depot. Depending on how it goes, a new computer from another company may slow the next printing of the book even further.

Rollin

3. Ron Frazier

Ron Frazier TS Member

Rollin,

Have you ever thought of publishing a simplified version, sort of a "Sockfitting for Dummies" book?

4. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Laptops suck. Wife's HP is going bad because the power outlet has a loose sodder joint. She picked up a free desk top from an employer who wasn't using the machine. It's twice as fast as mine and works fine, except for the USB ports that are dead. It's always something, isn't it Rollin?

5. Rollin Oswald

Joe;

It sure is with IBM. The IBM national duty manager called yesterday and as with the Better Business Bureau, he was given the order and serial numbers of the three laptops I bought.

He seemed concerned that a complaint had been filed with the BBB and said he would investigate the repair history of the three machines and get back to me next week.

I told him I would ideally like to have another Levono laptop IF they could make one that worked properly because I love the keyboard their machines, especially the page-forward and page-back keys in the lower right-hand corner.

I dread having to shop for a new computer (which has to be a laptop because of the way I use it.) A new machine would need a non-wide screen due to my visual limitations and at least 2.16 Ghz speed because I'm impatient. I've been considering getting a 10,000 rpm hard drive if I have to get a new machine for that same reason. I would also like the option of having personal setup done by a scantily-clad blond cheerleader majoring in computer science but I doubt that would be offered by very many manufacturers.

Rollin

6. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Rollin

Change to a less expensive laptop and one of the those removable storage devices that several of my family members have-- they go on sale all the time and the storage devices are bullet proof and can be used with another computer

regards

Gene

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.