1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bone spur surgery recovery?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by SAMinWI, Feb 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SAMinWI

SAMinWI TS Member

Just had bone spur removal from my shooting shoulder on Monday evening. Any ideas from people who have had this done as to how long before they were shooting comfortably again would be appreciated.

Yours in Shooting

Sam Gascho

2. old tex

old tex TS Member

Been there done that - I had more damage from the spur that had to be repaired - biceps tendon cut and rotator cup.

Full year before well - upside it has been 4 years and now the shoulder is as good as new!

Do the therapy!

unc

3. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Sam. Get well bud. You are a blossoming shooter and we need guys like you. No advice on the bone spur. What does your doc say?

Jack in WI.

4. dcmulcahy

dcmulcahy Member

Hi Sam,

I am 48,had 2 spurs removed and a torn labrum repaired by a noted Sports Medicine Ortho Doc, and was shooting in exactly 8 weeks. Had a little clicking and popping but that subsided with Rehab.Very little post-op pain. Make sure you follow the PT to the letter.

Good Luck!

Dan

5. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Did you guys have a hard time sleeping at night? Have a hard time putting your arms behind your back? Did you have sharp and severe pains running through arms when you lifted your arm ? I am have that problem now but in both shoulders and arms. Does this sound right? Thanks

6. jerryw

jerryw TS Member

Today is my 6 week anniversary of my surgery.

I had bone spur removed that had done a lot of damage to the rotor cuff.

I am now doing about 45 minutes of exercise 4 times per day plus going to a PT 3 times a week. I am experiencing a lot of pain with the therapy but, it is necessary.

I was told today that it would be at least the first part of May before I could resume shooting. That would be about 16 weeks after surgery.

I am 67 years old I guess it takes us old codgers longer to bounce back.

Jerry Walker

7. 101voodoo

101voodoo TS Member

Sam,

I had to pull out of an ATA shoot on the 7th of May 07. Hurt my shoulder (old injury) lifting a shell bag up onto the people hauler. After 10 shots at handicap, I couldn't lift the gun. Last 7 rounds really slapped the snot out of me as I couldn't pull the gun in tight.

Had surgery on the right shoulder (spurs, scar tissue, shortened the bone tip, etc.) on the 23rd of May, started shooting again in late June, and shot at a two day ATA event on the 7th/8th of July.

Biggest problem in starting back up was arm strength. I had been exercising the right shoulder to get it back in shape, but my left arm was really weak at first and tired quickly holding the gun up.

Shoulder hurt for over a year, and its still difficult to sleep on that side.

Good luck, and hope you're shooting again soon.

Jim

8. RickA

RickA Member

Tomorrow will be my 3rd week since surgery, Rotator cuff wasn't torn completely but was hamburger on the bottom side, and they shaved the bone to open up the joint some. Sleeping sucks some nights I work out everyday but not back to work yet. I can get the gun shouldered (practise at home in the basement swinging the gun ) but i don't think I'll be squeezing the trigger anytime soon. Lots of pain with use at this stage and doc said to expect that for up to 6 months. I'm just hoping that it's all worth it LOL.
    Rick

9. trapshootingfran

trapshootingfran TS Member

smsnyder, I would have both shoulders checked and have left and right carpel tunnels checked. I had the same problems coulden't even put my arm on a chair or couch, ccould not sleep, and hands would go to sleep when driving. See a good doctor,sports medicine people. They will help.
    Get well snyder FRAN

10. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I was shooting 4 weeks after bone spur removal from my shoulder but that was my forth surgery, so I was getting use to the pain. Do the thearpy make it your first concenr and you should be shooting by 6 to 8 weeks with little to know pain. Get Well

11. 1brucem

1brucem TS Member

I go in tomorrow for this surgery, I had no idea that it was so common. God speed to you all. Bruce

12. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

I just had shoulder surgery over the summer - doc thought it was just a bone spur (ended up being a lot more - but oh well). Anyway, when we were taking recovery from bone spur removal, he called it "suck up" surgery. The shoulder is not destabilzed in this procedure and you cna do whatever you want as soon as you can handle it. He said - "you can do what you want the next day if you can suck up the pain."

I don't think it's that straight forward, but given all the crap I had doene to mine and how long it took to recover (doing everyhitng I was told) I bet it's not far off.

JOe

13. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

As I posted earlier bone spur was the fourth surgery, the third was a total replacement 15 years ago. I was playing golf in 8 weeks and shooting in ten it was fantastic. Had my 5th last December a revision of the replacenent the socket loosened up. I'm shooting have been since June but this has been painful and hard to come back from. Now they want to go back in and cut out the scar tissue, not going to happen enouh is enough. PT is the most important thing you can do to get back in shape. Do it every chance you get and good luck!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

bone spur shoulder surgery recovery

bone spur surrounding rotator cuff shoulder surgery forums

had bone spur surgery not recovering well

having bone spur trimmed on shoulder how long recovery

post surgery rotator cuff pain bone spurs

probability of bone spurs in both shoulders

recover from bone spur shoulder surgery and sleeping

strength recovery after bone spur removal