1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Bondoing procedure

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by butcher, Mar 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. butcher

butcher Member

Do you have to take finish off of stock first? Do you put it on in layers and how much at a time? I would like to make a rgular field type 391 stock and build it up to a parrallel stock with finger grooves and?
  2. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

Well Bondo is no exact science. You have to have something for it to stick to. You are going to refinsh the stock when your done I hope so you need to take the finish off in the affected area. No need tto make it nice smooth as you need as much rough surface to stick to as possible.

When useing bondo use many thin coats building up the surface area you want to work. Bondo gets air and voids you always can work with BUT you can add on after you start finishin it.

I recently did a palm swell on my BT99 and painted it when done. Any how if you build it all up your able to see what will feel right. Dont be afraid to use a big old rasp to start finger grooves. Be ready to sit with Drememl tool and work it down, when its ready for finish sanding and lil pin hole filling use a good sandable filler primer, its goin to take several coats to get it nice,possibly spray some on paper plate use primer to fill pin hole spray cant handle. Let it all dry real good 24 hrours before final sandin.

I had a fun time with mine added big tall rib I made, looks good get some looks, but its definately different.

Jerry Lewis
  3. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

My BT99 Project !!New pics 12/13!! Thats the thread if you want to go look there is a pic of the rugh bondo and pics of it done
  4. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Active Member

I've done a couple stocks with bondo and made big changes in both cases. Bondo is great stuff. You need sand paper, wood files, cardboard and masking tape.

Sand down the surfaces the bondo will bind to. I put a nearly vertical grip on a standard stock by forming a mold with cardboard (cereal boxes) and masking tape. Put a layer of plastic on the bondo side to keep it from sticking to the cardboard. Plastic page dividers for kids school binders work great. Turned the stock upside down and poured the bondo in from the bottom. Don't worry about final finish/holes because you can always come back later for that. Remember, you can always try again.

I would estimate how much bondo was needed and mix it in paper cups a little at a time. I'd cut the paper cup in half and work with popsicle sticks to mix in the hardener. You don't have a lot of time so you need to be ready.
  5. crusha

crusha TS Member

You can probably cake on up to 1/2" at a time, once you've had some experience with it.

Don't forget your MASK, when you start sanding it down.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.