1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bolt action Trap Gun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ismah, Apr 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ismah

ismah Member

Is there such a thing? Are there any quality bolt action shotguns that could be modified into trap usage? I'd appreciate any input from anyone who has experimented with this.

2. jhoward

jhoward Member

Be fun to shoot doubles with!

3. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

I've always wondered whether a Ruger #1 action had enough room (diameter) to hold a 12 gauge shell, and could be modified into a trap gun. If so, it would make a really unique piece. Strangely enough, the question has never been pressing enough for me to go out to my safe and take a measurement.

4. jhoward

jhoward Member

I would think that you could make a rather nice trap gun out of a TC Encore. My only concern about attempting it whether or not the receivers and actions are designed to hold up to the number of shots normally fired through a trap gun. I mean it's not uncommon for a trap gun to see 10,000+ rounds a year whereas it's doubtful that many rifles see that much shooting in a lifetime.

5. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

I once saw a Martini falling block in 12ga. Come to think of it, I saw a Martini in .410 smoothbore made in India for use in Gard watch.

6. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

No bolt actions but a few old W.W.Greener single shot actions back in the seventies. Some were made into very beautiful guns.

7. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

I just got done working on a Mauser bolt action 12 ga. last week. The action is a 98 Mauser with the front locking lug area of the receiver bored out. The bolt locks up on the rear safety lug and the typical claw extractor.

8. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

The Browning bolt action slug gun.. along with the Savage bolt action slug gun both make excellent trapguns once rebarreled and restocked.. Excellent trigger.. When i thought I'd lost all in Katrina.. I was eyeballing my old Marlin GooseGun.. and considering a Simmons rib.. It would have done just fine.. Great trigger also.. and factory full choke..

9. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

how about the Ljutic " Space Gun" ? Larry Evans

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

Any good bolt action could serve as a good trap gun with a good shooter using it. Many years ago Walt Meadows won the West VA state singles with a Marlin bolt action equipped with a glue on wood rib. I also saw Walt shoot a few respectable doubles scores with the gun.

Walt made his own wads by cutting out heavy cardboard and using one half of Kleenex tissue as a filler. He loaded a lot of rifle and pistol shells and was a bit messy. The last time I shot with him, he was using 16 grains of Red Dot and approximately 1 grain of floor sweepings. Walt was unusual.

Pat Ireland

11. Mapper

Mapper Member

I think the Siamese Mauser was big enough for a shot shell. Perhaps someone(other than me) would like to undertake such a project. One would be assured of an excellent trigger pull, with all the after-market triggers available.

12. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Mossberg made a bolt action shotgun in all gauges, most with polychokes. I have seen a 12 being used to shoot trap.

13. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

This is an intriguing idea. Maybe a new project; a bolt action 12 gauge. Could build an action and use a factory barrel to something else and inlet my own stock. But is it worth it...Maybe a 28 gauge would be better for keeping the action size smaller, plus I've always wanted a 28 gauge. Now I have too much to think about...Josh

14. samiam03

samiam03 Member

"Mossberg made a bolt action shotgun in all gauges, most with polychokes. I have seen a 12 being used to shoot trap"

I had the Mossberg when I was 12 years old in the early '60's. It was so heavy that the only way I could shoot it was hunched over with my elbow on my hip. The only game I ever brought home with that gun were squirrels which I shot lying flat on my back.

Sam

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
awesome bolt action trap gun
bolt action shotgun trap shooting

bolt action trap gun

bolt shotgun trap shooting

browning bolt action trap gun

can you use a bolt action for trap shooting
greener action trapshooting guns

trident bolt action trap gun