1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BOISE flyfishermen/shooters - help

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by FLAKETM, Sep 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FLAKETM

FLAKETM TS Member

Folks,
    Forgive a message that's prolly too long. Will be in Boise next week Mon thru Thursday for vacation with wife and some fly fishing. Had reservations at Wapiti Ranch but they closed cause of fires. Air tickets non refundable so I'm coming anyway, hoping for spot to wade fish in Boise River. Any tips? Who has best fly fishing retail shop? Also, too much gear to bring gun but would like to drop by your club and say hello if you can give me directions. Thanks so much for any help.
    Guy Coates
    Baton Rouge

2. FLAKETM

FLAKETM TS Member

no fly fisher folk in Boise?

3. newark sportsman

newark sportsman TS Member

Try larry`s sporting goods in Nampa they should be able to point you in the right direction.

4. Lyle

Lyle Member

Flake,
    Larry's Sporting Goods in Nampa is a good source for shooting information. We have a Cabela's in Boise that has a massive fly shop and they probably can point you in the direction of some fly fishing. I would try North of Mountain Home to the South Fork of the Boise. Some big rainbows in there right now.
    Ya'll have fun while you are here.
    I would offer to show you the way but I am in the middle of bow hunting wapiti right now.

Lyle

5. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

I'm from east of Boise about 240 miles, but when I drive there for meetings I usually take the exit that leads from the Airport into town, Vista Avenue I think. If I remember correctly, about a mile from the freeway as you are going into town, on the right hand side there is a fly fishing shop, and they have a sign about guided trips. I imagine they could give you some pointers. Also, if I remember correctly, the Idaho Statesman has a regular outdoors column every Friday written by Pete Zimkowsky (spelling?). I'd bet the Statesman has a website with contact information for Pete, and he might have some suggestions.

If you are willing to go a little more east the Big Wood or Silver Creek near Sun Valley are usually good, although there have been some recent fires quite near there. If you are willing to go a lot more east, both the Henrys Fork and South Fork of the Snake have been pretty good lately.

Hey Lyle, good luck with the elk. It's a little warm for me yet.

6. FLAKETM

FLAKETM TS Member

Thanks for the help, guys. Lyle, I was told to fish just below the Anderson Ranch Dam near the Mountain Home exit of the Interstate.

7. Lyle

Lyle Member

flake,
    That is where I am talking about. Below Anderson Ranch Dam. One of my friends fishes there a lot and said the rainbows are HUGE right now. Good luck.

Larry,
    Thanks for the good luck on the elk. I saw a rub yesterday that was 8 feet high! Unfortunately I didn't see the bull that did it. Also saw a couple of huge bears. I ran out of gas right when I came upon one of them with the ATV. That was interesting! I'm still here though, the bear ran.

Lyle

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.