1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Boflex for trapshooting?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by biff, Feb 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. biff

biff Active Member

I realize most trapshooters are not into physical conditioning, but I was wondering if anyone is using the Boflex system and would care to share their ideas on whether it has helped them.

I am presently using a set of 5 lb. dumb bells and a BodyBlade in order to build my stamina, I think it has helped me. Since I can't/won't get out and shoot in cold/miserable conditions I want to use this time for physical conditioning and to also take a hiatus from trapshooting. John

2. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

Biff,

I certainly believe in physical conditioning for the act of living. I am in the gym 3 days a week. Stretching, 30 min on the treadmill, 10 Nautilus type weight machines and then swimming. I don't push the weight limit and I use the machines for range of motion as much as for any other reason. I don't know much about the Bowflex system, however the one guy I know who has one, spoke highly of it.

I would highly recommend a gym. I enjoy being around other people and just doing my thing. It takes self discipline, as you know. Having spent the money for the membership makes it a little easier for me to force myself to go.

Good luck and good shooting.

JON

3. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

they work. be prepared to be very sore. i lifted free weights for yrs., and i think that the bflex targets muscles better.

brett d.

4. hawk57

hawk57 TS Member

I wish I had room for a Bowflex.... One thing to remember when training for anything - train like you compete - that is to properly condition the muscles you use for trap shooting it is ideal to train those muscles by duplicating the movement and muscle stress of trap shooting. No doubt any muscle training will help, but to directly build the specific muscles in a way to help you in trap shooting you must train those muscles in the same way you use them. So, I suggest you analyze what muscles are being used and in what way, and develop an exercise to target those muscles. Don't forget, if you stop training, your muscles will return to their previous state.

5. biff

biff Active Member

Carl and Jon, thanks for the info which I hope will be helpful to others also.

Jon, I know what you mean about gym memberships, if you pay for it you will use it more than likely. I have had memberships to gyms in the past, but because of health reasons don't want to put myself at risk by using using public facilities. I had rather workout at home and use something like the Boflex for a more total fitness conditioning than my dumb bells. I have to work harder and smarter now than I did when I was younger; I am also much more aware of my diet and vitamin supplements I take in order to maintain. I was lucky not to have had to overcome a smoking habit and for years have almost totally abstained from alcohol. When you reach 70 your best physical years are behind you and you are shooting against shooters that have been shooting in some cases for 40 or 50 years. I don't guess anyone knows how many good years they have left, but I know for me it won't be because I haven't given it my best shot! John

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

Biff- I certainly do not want any more dumb bells in my home.

Pat Ireland

7. biff

biff Active Member

Hawk57, what you said about targeting the muscles you use for trapshooting is key also. In addition to muscle toning with weights I also do gun mounts to specifically target directly the muscles used for shooting; lifting my 10 pound Ljutic hundreds of times a day is a workout in itself! John

8. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski TS Member

Biff, I do work out with a machine and free weights and also ride a stationary bike (amazing how bi-pass surgery motivates you) and swim. However the best exercise I do for trap shooting (IMHO) is mounting, pointing, and swinging an old single shot shotgun that has the barrel and stock full of lead shot and more lead taped here and there to make it heavy. Works for this 66 year old fat man. :)

9. dward

dward Member

Jack - I didn't think you'd become my fitness consultant too!!! I've been thinking about getting a bowflex for my apartment. I've already got a stairmaster and I've been thinking about shaping my upper body into a Greek God type look. What attachments or models do you recommend??? - Dan

10. Doctor_Chicago

Doctor_Chicago Member

I just want to workout with the BOWFLEX LADY!

11. pepsbro

pepsbro TS Member

I don't know about working out with one But a buddy of mine and I have a bet. I bet him that if you stood a Bowflex on its side rigged up all the bows you could shoot a 2X4 the length of a football field.

12. dward

dward Member

Thanks Jack - I always wondered why you looked so buff and got all the women (like the cute Bears fans you post from the bar)!! I think I'll get one for my apartment. But I will be realistic in my expectations as I know I will never be as buff and handsome as you.

The Big Ugly Swede

13. biff

biff Active Member

Jack, are all the Boflex alike or do they make different models? John

14. drunk_again

drunk_again TS Member

12 ounce curls durring the off months is all one needs to do to stay in trap shooting shape.

15. biff

biff Active Member

Bought the Boflex today, it was a workout just putting it together. Hoping to use the exercises for endurance, strength, and balanced flexability; will let you know if it helps. John

16. phirel

phirel TS Member

Could someone explain the basic difference between Boflex and Botox? I am just not sure which would be best for me.

Pat Ireland

17. frank t

frank t TS Member

Pat-

One builds your muscles the other builds your ego

Frank T

18. biff

biff Active Member

Jack, Thanks. Which exercises have you used that you feel helped with the strength and endurance for mounting a 10 lb. shotgun 300 times at a shoot. Or any other exercises you have found helpful. It is a Boflex Motivator, the book has about 50 upper body exercises.

Pat, it came with a 25 lb box of Botox, I'll forward that to you and you can inject it where you sit down, that way you will have the padding instead of having to sit one the shell bags people are always placing on the benches! John

19. biff

biff Active Member

Thanks Jack, I am presently using 5 lb. dbells and using lots of reps. I use the elliptical to build cardio and 100 to 200 gun mounts daily(depending on how I feel after the dumbells!) using the Terry Jordan wall chart. Good advice on light Boflex and lots of reps to start out with, they don't tell you which weights to start with. I think the rowing exercise will help with the back and give me a stronger foundation. On their 6 week fat loss program they tell you to drink lots of COLD water, as it will burn some calories when you are warming the water in your body(I found this interesting). I'm hoping to get my body in Charles Atlas porportions and to shoot like Harlan Campbell!

What are those birds, look like pigeons to me and that duck in the tree sure has a funny shaped bill! John

20. biff

biff Active Member

Jack, an update on the Bowflex. I really like it and can feel a difference when mounting my gun. I still use the 5 lb dumbells and am using about 25 lbs on the Bow with lots of reps. It is strengthing my back and I am still finding exercises that I feel will help gun mount/shooting. The fluid like feel of the Bow makes it seem easier on my upper body and shoulders. I can see why you couldn't be specific on what exercises to use, my chart lists 50 exercises but you can use what you feel you need. It recommends using it every other day inorder for the muscles to recover and reconstruct(build), but since it is so much fun to use I slip in and try a few different exercises I didn't do the day before. I just wish I had bought this years ago. Now if I can only get Snapshot started on it. John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.