1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Body shop lead 70/30, 60/40 what is it?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by new loader, May 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. new loader

new loader Member

Talked to a fellow today who knows of a body shop going out of business. Said they had lead in 5-lb. ingots marked 70/30 and some marked 60/40. What would that be exactly? No price given.

2. BL350

BL350 TS Member

Dear Sir, 70/30 is 70% lead and 30% tin. 60/40 is 60% lead and 40% tin.

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

thats some pretty old lead. I used to use it for filler back in the 60' and 70's but Mud took over and all of us old artist's disappeared.

4. TommyTEREX

TommyTEREX Member

cuban, I still have ny paddles, and files. Your right it`s a lost art. But I did do a set of front fenders on a buddy of mines 35 chevy last year, it took awhile, and I could just hear my father screaming about waisting the lead, but it came back, I guess you never lose it.

Tom R.

5. new loader

new loader Member

Would this be any good for shot? How about the guys that trade lead for shot, is this OK?

6. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

new loader, that's pretty high tin content. If it will go through the drippers at all without being diluted it would be light for size and harder than woodpecker lips.

Buz

7. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

It would be real good for adding a little tin to wheel weight alloy for casting bullets. It would suck for making shot, Tin is the last thing you want in the alloy for shot making. Casters like the Tin because it helps the alloy to flow and fill all the little areas of the mould.

8. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

It's better to trade it out to a bullet caster. You want Antimony and not Tin in the mix for making shot.

9. welderman

welderman TS Member

When describing tin/lead alloys, it is customary to quote the tin concentration first. Therefore 70/30 is 70%tin, 30%lead. Welderman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.