1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bob Palmer, Mental Coach

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Beretta687EELL, Dec 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Just wondering about what folks think about Bob Palmer. Does anyone read his column in Trap and Field and has anyone ever hired him to work on the mental part of their game? Thanks, Bill Malcolm

2. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I don't know much about Bob but I can say that every one who competes at anything should do some mental training.
    I spent all last winter doing some and I can't believe the difference it made when it counted. There were times I almost thought I was cheating against my friends at shoots.
    I have coached football at the high school level so I kind of new how to compete but having the mental edge is a big plus.
    Remember that you still have to hit the bird but when the chips are down having a strong mind will help a bunch.

3. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

It's not a mental problem it's a visual problem first and then maybe a 1% or 2% mental problem.

Just my opinion but I'm open to the idea that if the mental problems are fixed then the vision problems may improve.
    Joe goldberg

4. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

With most of the guys I talk to at the range it can't be a mental problem.

5. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

Check out Lanny basham

6. 4EVRYOUNG

4EVRYOUNG Member

I have often thought it to be a mental problem.
    See the bird move to the bird shoot the bird (one more for 25,50,75,100) Loss
    Mental problem, your mind counts and your body can't react.

7. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

Yes, you can't hit what you can't see, without the proper mental approach, you can't hit everything you see. Frank Little told me shooting is 90% mental and 10% equipment. I tend to agree. I even had a few heated arguements with my wife because of her negativity towards shooting improvement. Several years ago I went to a Sports Psychologist and went thru his "Perfect Practice" program. I had been on the 23 with a C avg.. After the mental training and putting it into practice I shot A & AA and got to the 27. This was 20 years ago, I have gotten old and lazy and do not take the time to do the mental routine on a regular basis but after enough bad scores I will break down and follow the routine.

8. mwmham

mwmham Member

In my opinion, for shooting sports like trap, skeet, rifle, archery where perfection or near perfection is the only way to be a champion "mental training" is necessary, except for the very rare person who can turn everything off for those two or three seconds on demand.
    Basham is great but like everything it takes time to fall into his system.
    I have heard of two shooters who have used Bob Palmer with excellent results in a short period of time.

9. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Since I do this for a living and not fun I'll try to explain it. John is partially right. Its not really mental in the way most people think it is. One Champion Sporting clay shooter put it to me this way. You need to see the target and anything that gets in the way of it will cost you targets. His definition was focus and he would say that if you lost it you lost targets.

How to get rid of the distractions is very complicated and simple at the same time. Don't think about anything but the target. There are tricks but it really is not a mental process more of a habit and learning what works visually.

Joe

10. lovethesport

lovethesport Member

i have attended bob palmer sessions--

is he good and does it work? be prepared to be amazed. he is a very intelligent yet a very humble human being

did it help my shooting? i shoot for fun and for statistic purposes i have made an appx 45 percent improvement

11. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Thanks for the comments and PMs. Bill Malcolm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.