1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bob Glatz’s Specific Recommendations/Conclusions

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by goatskin, Jul 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

p. 1 of 2 ...

---------------------

I have spoken to several ATA members, delegates and past presidents about the attached Summary of
    Recommendations/Observations. The most common question has been, “What specifically should the
    ATA do to fix the financial and governance problems and how do we put the ATA on the road to financial
    security?” Several people I spoke with were also concerned about the EC’s seeming disinterest in
    utilizing the ATA’s favorable public charity tax status to advance the goals of the organization.

In response to the above, here is what I would do if I had a free hand to make the changes that I believe
    are necessary for a vibrant, healthy and growing Amateur Trapshooting Association.

1. Eliminate the ATA president’s gun allowance - $16,500. The payment is simply excessive and
    inconsistent with the ATA being a public charity.

2. Eliminate Executive Committee (EC) travel reimbursements to shooting tournaments - $100,000
    (estimate).

3. Eliminate the Discretionary Travel Allowance available to the ATA president - $20,000.

4. Return the Executive Committee and the ATA presidency to volunteer status as specified in the
    By-Laws.

5. Eliminate D&O insurance coverage as redundant now that Volunteer Protection Act applies (i.e.
    no compensated board or EC members) - $11,390.

6. Limit EC reimbursed travel to two meetings per year at a non shooting venue (e.g. Vandalia), for
    the sole purpose of conducting ATA business.

7. Increase the size of EC to 9 members (5 elected and 4 appointed) with each serving a 5 year
    term. Use the 4 appointed roles to supplement the skill sets required by the EC to effectively
    operate in today’s environment.

8. Eliminate the rotating ATA presidency in favor of a board structure led by the Executive Director.

9. Establish an Audit Committee (AC) and a Compensation Committee (CC).

10. Establish Board and EC orientation and training programs, and require outside professional
    education for those serving on the EC, the AC and the CC.

11. Establish “Governance” in accordance with the California Nonprofit Integrity Act of 2004
    (California’s Sarbanes-Oxley’s clone law). The structure of the law is considered a best practice
    and it probably applies to the ATA currently.

12. Strictly prohibit conflicts of interest transactions with EC members, board members and ATA
    office personnel, except in unique circumstances where the ATA would suffer; in that case,
    require approval of the Audit Committee and/or the full board.

13. Publish the ATA’s IRS Form 990 and the ATA’s audited financial statements to the ATA’s web
    site and other 501(c)(3) governance web sites, e.g. Guidestar.

14. Develop a plan to increase dues and fees in a tax efficient manner for implementation ASAP. I
    believe an increase of at least $10 is required.

2. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

p. 2 of 2 ...

--------

15. Stop using interest/dividends on the ATA’s endowment to supplement current operations. By
    definition, consuming the cost of money with respect to such funds diminishes the inflation
    adjusted value of the endowment.

16. Establish an EC-led fund raising committee and make meaningful progress on the use of the
    501(c)(3) status.

17. Establish a formal EC-led Member Communication Committee.

18. Establish an EC-led Technology Committee - develop a web based plan to enhance gun club
    services and better integrate member services.

19. Establish EC-subordinate committees (from Delegates and other volunteers) to deal with
    Classification & Handicap, Rules & Sportsmanship, Trophies, etc.

20. Publish the ATA’s various policies to include, but not be limited to Whistleblower, Document
    Retention, Gift Acceptance, Conflicts of Interest, Investment (when created), etc.

21. Establish and publish a five year strategic plan for the ATA with detail budgets which are
    reviewed and signed off each year by the EC.

22. Require some level of annual charitable giving from all board and EC members - lead by
    example.

23. Require routine background checks for EC members.

24. Protect the ATA’s 501(c)(3) status at all costs.

25. Establish a contingency plan in the event the World Shooting & Recreation Complex is no longer
    available to the ATA.

26. Look hard at the continuation of membership rebates to the states and provinces.

27. Balance the current operations budget in 2011. Create a $250,000 surplus by 2012.

28. Appoint a committee to perform a more extensive study of ATA operations, reporting results to
    the full board.

29. If the board believes it is necessary to have a partially paid EC, pay them correctly. Change the
    ATA By Laws to allow compensation. Pay salary and withhold all applicable taxes. Discontinue
    the policy of reimbursing personal expenses to attend shooting tournaments. Hold the EC
    accountable to the board for their performance.

3. smoking357

smoking357 TS Member

I'm curious, why was Trapshooting never part of the NRA's basket of matches?

If the ATA is losing several hundred thousand, per year, as the earlier posts claimed, could the ATA fold and give Trap management to the NRA? I can't see where the NRA would decline it. Trap scores could go under your NRA number, alongside your other classifications.

Would all clay-target shooting management be better served by consolidating the ATA with the NSSA?

4. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

smoking357,

Let's not go there. These problems can be solved locally with right-headed thinking, and execution.

5. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The list of Specific Recommendations sounds reasonable, the EC will never go for it because then it will end up being what they have claimed it was in the first place and for as long as I can remember ... Volunteering at its finest on a pay as they go system, out of their own pockets ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

6. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

To understand what-all BobGlatz is suggesting - and most of them are intuitively common sense - it surely helps to have a business background.

The only one with which I have serious problems is the elimination of the $20k discretionary travel/entertainment fund. That is 'code' for wining & dining potential contributors, donors, politicians ....

IOW, part & parcel of the President's job, and the two BEST questions for the Board to ask the Pres:

- where are your results?

- do you need more money?

Bob

7. Jack L. Smith

Jack L. Smith Member

Goatskin and others - that is weel thought out. However, with the exception of item 21 (stategic plan) there is little that mentions the #1 item that all organizations need - increased revenue.

You can only, save, establish, limit, control and prohibit so much - these programs are financial and process controls. Not solutions to adding growth, and EBIDTA.

I have occasionaly offered here on this forum some suggestions from my 30 yers of growing companies and improving EBITDA (although the "T" doesn't really apply here to the ATA) However we need more members - increasing dues will have short term benefit but long term diminshing returns due to natural member decreases and death.

We need exposure to new members. We need to a "face" of the ATA other that the typical shooters. We need youth and 'action figures' (ha) By that I mean Brad Pitt / Faith Hill / not Dick Cheney. etc.

Imagine if MTV or VH1 did a story with Usher or Dave Matthews shooting trap? Imagine if American Idol had a side story with the 5 finalists busting a few clays with guest judge George Clooney? I'll bet Shania Twayne would try shooting trap!

You think I am kidding? No, I am not. Look how snow boarding grew by identifying a market and put a face on it.

Imagine an "APP" with singles & doubles " (there may even be one of these)

If the ATA can get Justin Beiber to shoot one round, you'd need a gate keeper at the next shoot for all the teens wanting to see about it.

Imagine the ad revenue coming as ATA positioned itself properly to get FORD, GM, Dick's Sporting Goods and Gatoraid involved in the marketing program?

We can't improve the ATA by stepping over dollars to save a penny.

We have to get youth and new shooters to try it and join the ATA. I also recomended a market strategy to identify the private country clubs in the U.S. (golf clubs with Trap) where the members have ample funds, but don't shoot registered targets. Visit these clubs, put on a short presentation and invite them to try registered shooting - this is another perfect prospect group for new ATA revenue. They already shoot trap and have $$$ - what more could you want? Most of these clubs shoot trap in the off season, perfect for ATA involvement. I am not saying their provate clubs will shoot registered targets - that won't happen (private clubs) BUT - some of those members may get hooked on ATA competition in their area!

As to the 29 point program - What will the ATA do with the 'saved' funds?

Just sit on it - bad business.

Spend it on new sales programs, (NMD)new member development - YES!! GROW !!!

js in PA

8. smoking357

smoking357 TS Member

I think I read last night that the ATA is losing $300K, per annum. You won't claw that back by cutting out $16K in travel expenses. Are the projections for greater or lesser operating deficits?

I joined recently because I read this site frequently; I shoot what y'all call "practice trap," and everyone here got me in the mood to try some ATA Trap. I can guarantee you that there are very few who are coming to the ATA via this route.

Are there any spreadsheets showing the age distribution of ATA members?

I'm just saying that it's difficult to do cross-promotion of the shotgun sports with different associations each having a piece of the activity. If an ad is run that says "Call 1-800-BLASTEM for a shotgun range near you," two organizations might have a turf war over how that call is handled.

How are the Skeeters faring, these days?

9. porky

porky TS Member

Something has to be done. If this is allowed, then things will just go back as they are now. Changes should be made at the Grand. As hard as it would be, it needs to be made. Watch the membership drop off this year.

10. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

"You won't claw that back by cutting out $16K in travel expenses."

Isn't this being a little disingenuous?
    Perhaps you should go back and read items 2,3.

11. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

rpeerless... If you were drowning, would you rather wait for a life guard to magically appear, or would you like to be rescued immediately by someone that can also help you? Your rhetoric has no merit. Bob Glatz has been around all the financial documents, in one way or another, of the ATA for a long time. I trust his input a heck of a lot more than I would trust anything you have to offer up. What, if anything, are you doing to help? I think we all can see where you sit on the fence..... Dan Thome (Trap2)

12. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

rpeerless,

This is the plan the EC came up with and you want them to find the solution, they don't think there is a problem ... This has obviously been an on going thing and the EC has come to believe they are above the law or they never took the time to read the by laws ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

13. smoking357

smoking357 TS Member

Jack Smith, great post.

You really "get it." So many think that things are just fine, when I can look at the ages of people at any Trap club and see dark clouds coming.

By the way, sexy celebrities won't typically come over to the shooting sports, because, if they did, they'd be tagged with all the nasty things the shooters say about Obama, illegals, etc. The celebrity would be forced to answer: "How can you participate in a sport where the participants in the sport say X?" "Do you also say X about Obama?" Can you imagine the media coverage of a celebrity at a shooting event? The cameraman would soak up all those bumper stickers in the parking lot, and the producer would be sure to include the stickers in the footage.

The shooting sports have an inherent politics in a way that Baseball doesn't. It doesn't make marketing to a larger audience impossible, just tough.

14. blacklab

blacklab Member

There are several, but they seem to shoot sporting.

15. Jack L. Smith

Jack L. Smith Member

Smokin357 - you make excellent points.

Sure, the shooting sports are a hard sell politically; and socially - gee, it's harder to shoot than sitting here looking at facebook; however maybe it's time for trap to come out of the closet like everybody else.

Look at the Billion Dollar Bass fishing industry - my gosh - excellent marketing for a sport with a lot more expensive buy in than trap. Plus, fish smell.

We need to get the media reports away from whether we are allowed to own guns, or more straw purchase laws, or grocery for guns programs aimed at the gang bangers.

We need good press, and we need to show that trap is available, modest cost and fun!

Sure, Susan Serandon and Barbra Streisand aren't going to show up and offer support, but with good PR and if the ATA reaches out to the right groups, or a few good people, this can work. We don't need ALL the celecbrties, just a few or two of the right ones.

With the explosion of the new Country Music, that could be a natural.

Taler Swift is from Berks Co PA - about 1 hour from Elysburg - get her to shoot a few targets and every 19 year old boy and lots of girls will be storming Cabela's to buy a used 870TB.

Maybe Taylor's agent would take call from Cabela's VP of Marketing - hey we'd like to pay you and invite you to see a trap shoot and give it a try. If you don't like it - thanks anyway, here's the money.

If you think is't kinda cool - here's more money! Record you next music video on Bank 4 with Steph Sandler as a cameo.

357 - You are right, many celebs and Obama are not our allys and many may say "no way" - so we keep trying until some celebs say, hey...OK!

We need to growth folks, & good press, not bean counting.

And again, fish smell.

JS in PA.

16. JRW

JRW Member

I hope there will be changes. Mr. Glatz has made recommendations, but I do not believe changes will be made easily. The ATA President and VP's have been waiting along time for their gun allowance, and other perks, for them to say ok let's give it all up. Jerry in MI.

17. indycamster

indycamster Member

The key points are: Increase exposure to increase number of shooters and Marketing outreach.
    I think ATA and Shooting sports in general could learn much from NHRA!! I can take my family sedan to a local drag strip, get classified and race to my hearts content. That is because the NHRA classifies THE EQUIPMENT, not the driver.
    I am new to Trap shooting, yet I get classified at each shoot. Most new shooters show up at the local club like I did, with my field "Rabbit Gun." Clearly my old 870 is not ready to compete against the modern fully adjustable trap gun, no matter how good I am. In my short time I have seen new shooters show up once or twice and never return, totally intimidated by the "Bling Bling" guns. To go back to my NHRA analogy, it is like racing the family station wagon against "Top Fuel Dragsters." You can "line up" with the big guys but never really have a chance.
    Just imagine if ATA classified both the "shooter" AND his equipment?
    They could start with "Field gun Stock." and then classify each modification, such as Trap stock, then each of the adjustment areas, Comb, Butt plate and Rib.
    With these additional classes, more field gun owners would participate, learn and grow into the higher classifications. Simple market research would suggest field guns (and field gun shooters) out number trap by a factor of 10 to 1. What better way to welcome them to the sport than to include field gun classifications.

18. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Very simple cut expenses. NO purks if were loosing money. Increase exposure to our sport. Increase income.

19. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

indycamster, Hate to tell you this but it's not the arrow, it's the Indian that matters. Of course, it helps if the bow shoots where the Indian aims, but that's part of the learning curve. Anyone with an 870 can whip a big spender's butt if they know what they're doing.

Happens all the time.

20. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Mr. Smith is correct. We need money spending membership. Good old American Capitalist stuff. It's something that few understand, unless you've done it. Sales, promotion and more sales. It'll save us if our leaders allow it.

We are very nearly too late.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.